Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Battery problem, bike does not start always  (Read 402 times)

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800 Roadie, 2013
Battery problem, bike does not start always
« on: March 02, 2021, 09:59:30 AM »
Hi there,

looking for some advice: my 2013 Tiger has still the first battery (bike has done 85,000 kms so far), bike is parked under car port and at night it's still below 0 degrees (Celsius). I keep the bike on a Ctek battery loader but it struggles early in the morning to start because of the battery I guess.

Over the past two weeks three or four times nothing happened at all when I pressed the start button, no click no sound at all. I then turned off the ignition turned it on again and then she started. This morning same behaviour but as the ignition was turned on again the fuel gauge showed no bars at all although the tank is almost full. However, bike started and after 1 km or so the fuel gauge was back to normal.

I am not a mechanic but gut feeling tells me: get a new battery... or would you do something else
Life is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

Online Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
Re: Battery problem, bike does not start always
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 10:35:34 AM »
Battery. :028:
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Offline crispey

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800 thrux
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 12:05:52 PM »
 :0461:

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800 Roadie, 2013
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 01:05:14 PM »
I'll get a new one later today...
Life is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

Offline Londonglide

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: xc
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 01:48:50 PM »
When you change the Battery, its a good time to check the condition of the main fuse and starter relay under the battery. They have been known to become corroded, especially if water/damp has got into it. It can cause all sorts of issues, and even if it turns out to be just the battery, its a good opportunity to check/clean the connectors.

Offline Wight Biker

• Tiger Pro
  • Never too old to ride.....
  • Bike: Tiger 800 R
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 01:52:07 PM »
Had a similar situation last year with my 2013 Tiger, original battery. Sometime it wouldn't start, dash would go haywire or blank. Had a knowledgeable battery guy take a look and he deduced the battery was having and intermittent cell breakdown. Changed the battery and been completely fine since.

Offline gordybrock

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 800 Phantom Black
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2021, 09:10:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by Londonglide [+]
When you change the Battery, its a good time to check the condition of the main fuse and starter relay under the battery. They have been known to become corroded, especially if water/damp has got into it. It can cause all sorts of issues, and even if it turns out to be just the battery, its a good opportunity to check/clean the connectors.
  :0461: Good sound advice   :169:
I'm from Wigan me

Offline Alan215

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Triumph tiger
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2021, 12:46:19 AM »
Went through the same thing pulsing lights so changed the r&r stoped for a bit then flat battery so read up on it and decided it was the stator as at this point the engine management light was on so took it in and the guy put the old r&r back on as I did not buy a triumph one and after checking it all out the stator was good and it was the battery after all

Recent Topics

winded-staunch