Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger 800 XC immobiliser  (Read 2490 times)

Online BundyJD

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XC
Tiger 800 XC immobiliser
« on: March 04, 2021, 04:15:55 AM »
I think I may have the infamous immobiliser issue with my 2013 800 XC, as the last ride I did resulted in the bike coming home on a trailer because the immobiliser didn't seem keen on reading the chip in the key.  Of course when I tried it again the next day with the same key, it started straight away.

I also discovered that the spare key that the dealer had given me 7 years ago doesn't fit my bike, so I had to order another one which is yet to be paired to the ECU by the local dealer.

From most of the other reports on the same issue that I have read it seems the most common outcome has seen the ignition switch/key reader assembly replaced, along with new keys, locks and having to re-encode everything to the ECU.

And then I noticed a picture of a used ignition switch assembly on Ebay which shows the chip reader (aka antenna ring) is actually a separate unit with it's own wiring loom, and just shares a connector plug with the ignition switch. 

So, I'm now wondering if there is any reason the chip reader wiring couldn't just be unstitched from the connector and the reader replaced with another unit from a new or used ignition switch assembly?

This would save the eye watering cost of having to replace everything, and another trip to the dealer.

The only flaw in that plan would seem to be that the chip reader might somehow be paired to the ECU or immobiliser box....

Offline T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
Re: Tiger 800 XC immobiliser
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 09:39:43 AM »
The 'chip reader' is just an antenna coil wrapped around the ignition switch assembly, so one from another bike should work fine without any programming.

...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 10:13:10 PM »
I've seen a few reports of immobilisers not mobilising when bikes were parked close to radio or mobile phone masts, and pushing them away from the mast let the immobiliser work again. Of course, if it's arrived home on a truck and still doesn't respond, that's not going to be the cause unless somebody has stuck a radio mast up outside your house while you were out.
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Online BundyJD

• Tiger Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 12:52:32 AM »
*Originally Posted by T800XC [+]
The 'chip reader' is just an antenna coil wrapped around the ignition switch assembly, so one from another bike should work fine without any programming.

Thanks, I was hoping that would be the case.

Online BundyJD

• Tiger Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2021, 01:04:11 AM »
*Originally Posted by tauzero [+]
I've seen a few reports of immobilisers not mobilising when bikes were parked close to radio or mobile phone masts, and pushing them away from the mast let the immobiliser work again. Of course, if it's arrived home on a truck and still doesn't respond, that's not going to be the cause unless somebody has stuck a radio mast up outside your house while you were out.

I did see that mentioned a few times, but on both occasions it refused to disarm there wasn't any obvious comms infrastructure nearby and I couldn't really move it far anyway.

The weird thing is that the first time it failed I was only 20 mins from home so I borrowed a friends bike to go home and grab the spare key.  By the time I got back the original key was working in exactly the same spot.  Incidentally, that's when I realised the spare key didn't fit the bike.

So that had me wondering if the issue was heat related, but the second time it failed we had ridden on to another location for lunch, which is where it failed to disarm again even after sitting for a couple of hours.  Mind you, it was a 30 degree C day.....

The only thing I had changed on the bike since the last ride was to replace the old Yuasa battery with a lithium.  So, my starting point to track down the issue is to put an AGM battery in it, check the ECU for error codes and clear any that might be there, then take the bike for a decent run without switching it off and see what happens when I get home.  I've got a can of freeze spray handy, so I can try that to see if it is a heat related thing.

Online BundyJD

• Tiger Member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2021, 04:35:22 AM »
Replaced the lithium battery with an AGM today and took the bike for a decent ride.  When I got home I switched it off and back on and it started no problem.  Left it sitting out in the sun like it was the last two times it failed to start.

Let it sit for 15 minutes, again no problem starting it.

Tried again after an hour, and the problem had returned - immobiliser light stayed on this time.

Hit it with freeze spray and switched it on - immobiliser light still on.  Hit it again with a bigger dose of freeze spray, this time the light went off and it started.

Hooked it up to a laptop and ran a DTC check with Tigertool - no codes.  The ECU doesn't seem to be aware that there was an issue, which I guess makes sense if the key chip isn't even being read.

So it looking a lot like it's heat soak that is affecting the ring antennae's, now to try and find a replacement.

Offline T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2021, 06:35:48 AM »
Make sure you use TigerTool V3 onwards to check the immobiliser DTCs in the TPMS tab, not the regular ECU DTCs. The key misread code (L0008) should be stored in there.

...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

Online BundyJD

• Tiger Member
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2021, 07:26:06 AM »
*Originally Posted by T800XC [+]
Make sure you use TigerTool V3 onwards to check the immobiliser DTCs in the TPMS tab, not the regular ECU DTCs. The key misread code (L0008) should be stored in there.

Thanks, I just hooked up the laptop again and sure enough the code was there in the TPMS tab.

I obviously hadnt read through the doco far enough.

Online BundyJD

• Tiger Member
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2021, 04:29:57 AM »
So it looks like the immobiliser ring antenna can be replaced by just pulling a couple of pins out of the ignition switch connector block.

Does anybody know what type of connector this is?  Having some trouble getting the pins out by the usual method of sliding something sharp in from the front to release a plastic tab...

Online BundyJD

• Tiger Member
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2021, 07:16:28 AM »
New ignition switch assembly arrived today - 369 convict dollars.

Gave up on trying to get the pins out of the connector block and just spliced and sealed up the two wires from the new ring antenna housing to the old ignition switch.

You can see the separate wiring in the pic below.  Now to put it back together and see if it starts.... :191:

Recent Topics

winded-staunch