Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Problems with fork removal  (Read 568 times)

Offline pennpeel

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Triumph 800 xc
Problems with fork removal
« on: March 04, 2021, 06:21:00 PM »
As per a previous post I've decided to change the fork oil, found a useful video on u-tube, so prior to doing the job i've removed the calipers mud guard and some clips ect and as per the suggestion of the utuber it is best to remove the bolt at the top of the fork before removing the forks from the bike.  First I tried a spanner, that wouldn't move either bolt, then i tried hitting the spanner with a rubber mallet, that didn't work. So I put a socket on it and that won't budge it. The only thing it is doing is ruining the nice finish on the bolt heads.

I have in my socket set a socket that is a deep socket which has a different pattern. But it'll mean I need to remove the handle bars will have to come off.

Aside from that and a length of tube any ideas??

Also can you buy new caps?

Offline chico

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
Re: Problems with fork removal
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 06:50:42 PM »
In order to remove the fork top nut you need to loosen the screw in the upper yolk. It may seem counter intuitive but it puts enough pressure on the threads of the top nut to make it difficult to loosen it. When your able to start turning the top nut don't remove it until after you remove the fork. This will prevent any fluid from spilling while you remove said fork. Also measure how much of the fork is showing so that you can place it in the same position when re-installing.
Let us know how this works for you.

Chico

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 06:55:55 PM »
The fork top bolt / cap is often held captive by the upper triple clamp (top yoke) bolts.
Mr. Haynes say: "Slacken the fork clamp bolts in the top yoke."
"Wrap some masking tape around the fork top bolt (cap) to protect the finish, then slacken the bolt (cap) now whilst it is still clamped in the bottom yoke."
There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.
WSC

Offline chico

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 07:46:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by AvgBear [+]
The fork top bolt / cap is often held captive by the upper triple clamp (top yoke) bolts.
Mr. Haynes say: "Slacken the fork clamp bolts in the top yoke."
"Wrap some masking tape around the fork top bolt (cap) to protect the finish, then slacken the bolt (cap) now whilst it is still clamped in the bottom yoke."

Is that different from what I posted?

Chico

Offline AvgBear

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: '12 Venom Roadie
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2021, 10:46:03 PM »
Is that different from what I posted?
Maybe? Somewhat? Some different words were used.  :033:
I may've been typing whilst you were posting?  :187:
Anyway, OP should get plenty of info..?
There are a terrible lot of lies going about the world, and the worst of it is that half of them are true.
WSC

Offline chico

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2021, 12:15:18 AM »
*Originally Posted by AvgBear [+]
Maybe? Somewhat? Some different words were used.  :033:
I may've been typing whilst you were posting?  :187:
Anyway, OP should get plenty of info..?

One can never have too much advice! :047:

Chico

Offline mcinlb

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2020 Tiger 900GT
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2021, 08:36:06 AM »
Top Cap removal, I sourced a "flat" socket for the cap i.e. no shoulder on the on the hex so it sits flush on the cap nut. Sometimes with an ordinary skt, there's not much actually gripping the cap nut.. oh, and as mentioned above some masking tape around the cap nut... like these -
https://www.parktool.com/product/flat-faced-socket-set-skt-6
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 08:39:49 AM by mcinlb »

Offline D6864

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: White XC
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2021, 09:41:56 AM »
I made the same mistake. Replacement top caps are cheap fortunately.

Offline pennpeel

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Triumph 800 xc
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2021, 06:03:47 PM »
Ok that will teach me not to look at my Haynes manual. I watched a video instead, he had problems as well, typically I ordered a long socket wrench as well, never mind It will come in somewhere.

Oh and i think i'll need a new set of fork caps, I won't be happy looking at those scuffed ones every time I ride.  I know I always say it but really appreciate the advice of everyone that replied.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch