Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Idle stepper and engine light  (Read 525 times)

Offline Atje

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
Idle stepper and engine light
« on: March 05, 2021, 12:15:56 PM »
Hi everyone,

I had a problem with my 2011 Tiger 800 XC: the engine stalled when it runs idle, a little bit of gas open was enough to keep it running. On this forum I found that this probably had to do with the idle stepper.
So I removed the tank and the airbox and cleaned the mechanism. With the parts removed, I switched the contact on and off to see if it worked. The motor moved, so far so good! I also replaced the air filter and spark plugs because this was an easy job and these parts were already a couple of years old. After getting the airbox and fuel tank into place I tried to start the engine - the bike started and keeps running on idle throttle.

However, there are two more problems:
- With the ignition switched on (but engine not running), the stepper makes the usual sound and than makes a ticking sound every second or so. It is like a tapping sound, I have the idea that the stepper wants to make a small step increment but cannot move. But when the ignition is turned off, after a few seconds the stepper moves normally while making the 'fax' sound. Does anybody know what this tapping sound could be?

- The orange engine check light keeps burning. I think this has something to do with the sensors/cables which have been disconnected. I'm quite sure I've reconnected everything as it should, but I may have turned the ignition on with one of the connections disconnected. I think the TigerTool could help me with this issue. I've tried several OBD2 connectors which were quickly available here in the Neterlands, but none worked. I see some suggestion of connectors available on AliExpress, but this would take a while before it arrives. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to deal with the check engine light without TigerTool (preferably without going to a dealer)?

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
Re: Idle stepper and engine light
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 01:05:43 PM »
Not sure of the ticking sound but the MIL being lit is because of powering up with the tank off.
When reassembling make sure you have the wiring harnesses reattached as well as the hose to the front of the airbox sensor.

The MIL will extinguish after 3 heat cycles - cold to hot.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline Atje

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2021, 01:47:39 PM »

*Originally Posted by KildareMan [+]
The MIL will extinguish after 3 heat cycles - cold to hot.

Thanks for your reply - I'll try this, hopefully this will make the MIL go away  :493:

Offline Atje

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2021, 01:56:43 PM »
It took a while, but finally I had time to do a round on my bike. In the meanwhile, I was able to get a OBD2 connector which works with TigerTool to reset the MIL (the errors were triggered by  the missing sensors when the tank was removed and the ignition was turned on).

Now I have no MIL anymore, the engine runs smoothly on idle and no stalling. So I'm ready to ride!  :300:

Offline bitmanglr

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2016 800 XRt
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2021, 03:00:18 PM »
Good to hear - and just FYI, I have TigerTool working with a WiFi adapter as well:
https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,28260.msg315677.html#msg315677

Recent Topics

winded-staunch