Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: TPMS  (Read 2913 times)

Offline Shergar

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
TPMS
« on: March 06, 2021, 11:01:54 AM »
TPMS on my car recently got a low battery and there are a mass of places out there selling good quality replacement sensors at a lot less than the original BMW ones - which got me thinking.
My 2017 XRT has TPMS as standard - has anyone found a suitable replacement rather than buying the similarly expensive Triumph items? When the battery goes I would prefer to just replace than try to rip the old ones apart and change batteries but am unlikely to readily swallow the cost of the OEM parts.
I know T800XC has done some work on integrating aftermarket items but that is slightly different than fitting a non OEM part to directly replace the OEM items - I also know that Tigertool will allow the reading and changing of the TPMS serial numbers - so it should be possible to either fit an alternative and change the serial in the settings to suit or to clone the original serial on a replacement sensor. Is it just a case of matching the protocol / frequency that the OEM items use?

Online T800XC

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
Re: TPMS
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2021, 01:22:04 PM »
Sadly it's not as easy as you're hoping.

LDL who make the system used by Triumph employ different data encoding etc so off-the-shelf generic replacement sensors are not necessarily compatible. That's not to say that you won't find one that may work, it's just that I've yet to find one that does.

There are several things to consider in order to:-

TPMS sensors can use different modulation (FSK, ASK, OOK) and encoding (Manchester code, Differential Manchester code, NRZ, etc.) schemes. After demodulation and decoding, the ID of the sensors can be extracted from the message data. After that, the message format can be further decoded.

One way to narrow the options might be to look at the US's FCC documentation for the sensors and compare the encoding to that for the LDL sensors.

...happiness isn't happiness without a violin-playing goat...

Offline Shergar

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2021, 03:45:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by T800XC [+]
Sadly it's not as easy as you're hoping.

Thanks for the reply - I thought it might be somewhat problematic. Will do a little digging and see what I can find - if I do find anything I will post it back under this thread.

Offline chico

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2021, 05:44:37 PM »
I installed this device, well made. Haven't had the chance to test it on a ride due to cold and snow. Just did a static test and it was working properly.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Wireless-TPMS-Tire-Pressure-Monitor-System-With-2-External-Sensors/283995116683?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2648

Chico

Offline UncleGary

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2021, 11:38:26 PM »
I replaced the batteries in my original Triumph sensors about 3 years ago. It is a job that requires some above average soldering skills. The key is to use name brand batteries like Renata from Switzerland.  The system has performed accurately since the battery replacement. The batteries cost about $3.00 each at the time. Do not buy cheap no name batteries.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch