Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Another lowering question  (Read 1717 times)

Offline 6172dave

• Tiger Cub
Another lowering question
« on: March 07, 2021, 12:38:07 AM »
So, looking online there a couple of different places that offer dog bones, some are 30 mm and some are 40 mm. What are most folk using and if I do this should I also raise the forks in the triple trees, and if so how much? My inseam is only 29" but I love this bike!

Offline samsgrandad

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 roadie
Re: Another lowering question
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2021, 12:03:53 PM »
I have fitted 20mm dog bones, if you go for 40mm ones you will find problems with the side stand and the bike being too upright when on the side stand, this can be corrected with the side stand from  the 'factory low' version, but more expense!

Also with 20mm dog bones I can Just about get the bike back on the centre stand for chain maintenance etc. You can overcome this with 40mm dog bones but would probably need to run the rear wheel up onto a 25mm plank of wood.

Yes it is a good idea to raise the forks in the triple trees, you cannot do this by more than about 20 - 25mm because the forks narrow below the lower clamp.

That keeps the bike level and I have found a good compromise, with a 29" inseam I can get both feet flat on the ground after this modification.

If you want to lower by 30mm or more on the back then you can look at changing the front springs, (Hyper-pro for one  do a shorter spring) rather than raising the forks in the triple trees but again that means more expense.

Offline 6172dave

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 10:27:54 PM »
Thanks for the advice, I've ordered 25mm shorter dog bones. I have a question concerning the front forks...are the upper tubes even with the upper surface of the triple trees or do they extend above them?

TIA, Dave

Offline chico

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 05:29:46 AM »
*Originally Posted by 6172dave [+]
Thanks for the advice, I've ordered 25mm shorter dog bones. I have a question concerning the front forks...are the upper tubes even with the upper surface of the triple trees or do they extend above them?

TIA, Dave

If you ordered shorter dog bones then you are raising the rear of the bike? The forks come from the factory 4mm above the shoulders of the triple.

Chico

Offline 6172dave

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 02:30:19 PM »
Hi Chico and thanks for the reply. The parts that I ordered {Moose Racing} were advertised to lower the rear of the bike by 1" {25mm}. I just assumed that the were shorter, guess I  was mistaken. As I am not the first owner of this bike I wasn't sure if the front end had been modified, now I know. Thanks again, ride safe. Dave

Offline chico

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2021, 04:07:46 PM »
It is counterintuitive, shorter raises, longer shortens. It's all about geometry. :125: Enjoy your scoot.

Chico

Recent Topics