Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hepco and Becker upper tank protection bars issue. Tiger 900  (Read 3530 times)

matt748 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline flyingburrito

• Tiger Member
  • Knees in the breeze
  • Bike: 900 Rally Pro
Hepco and Becker upper tank protection bars issue. Tiger 900
« on: March 07, 2021, 07:03:05 PM »
Just an FYI for everyone

I've had a serious issue with the Hepco and Becker upper tank protection bars.      The front bolts to the front motor mount both snapped after 4 months of use (approx 2000 miles), with a lot of off-roading.    THe first question asked by the retailer "Did you overtighten them"....no, I did not. I've got 40 years of backyard mechanic experience.  I know not to over-tighten bolts.   I also used blue Loc-Tite on them and rechecked their tightness a number of times after installation.   -  Hepco and Becker do not provide torque specs in the installation instructions...this is a critical engine/frame mounting point...why are torque specs not provided?

THe 2nd question they asked "Did I drop the bike"...no, I had not dropped the bike on the bars.   But what does that say...do the bolts break if you drop the bike?

Both bolts broke off in the frame.   I had to have them professionally removed as this was NOT something I wanted to risk damaging the frame/engine mounts.

I sent one bolt to the retailer to review and sent back to H and B for analysis.  I'm going to have the other bolt analyzed locally.  I'm waiting to hear back from the retailer on H and Bs response.

I have removed the bars completely...I'm not going to risk this happening again until I receive a response back from the retailer/Hepco and Becker

2020 Tiger 900 Rally Pro
Check out my Rally Pro vids @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS6zojgZ5rzWpKNf1_MPf9Q/videos

Offline Agfish18

• Tiger Cub
Re: Hepco and Becker upper tank protection bars issue. Tiger 900
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 06:40:46 PM »
Thanks for the info! I have been trying to decide which way to go for the tank protection myself. Please keep us updated with any responses from H&B

Offline flyingburrito

• Tiger Member
  • Knees in the breeze
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 07:32:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by Agfish18 [+]
Thanks for the info! I have been trying to decide which way to go for the tank protection myself. Please keep us updated with any responses from H&B

I certainly intend to keep everyone posted.  I have no idea how long it will take to get feedback from them.  I'm hoping for a positive outcome.
2020 Tiger 900 Rally Pro
Check out my Rally Pro vids @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS6zojgZ5rzWpKNf1_MPf9Q/videos

Offline dragon88

• Tiger Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 11:46:14 PM »
Looks like the infamous Chinesium.

Offline VicXCrider

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Rally Pro
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 08:27:34 AM »
It would be interesting to see if there are more failures like this as I have just fitted these bars in replacement for the OEM ones.

Offline flyingburrito

• Tiger Member
  • Knees in the breeze
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2021, 08:00:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by VicXCrider [+]
It would be interesting to see if there are more failures like this as I have just fitted these bars in replacement for the OEM ones.

I'll be honest.  THe more I think about how these are mounted to the front engine/frame mount, it concerns me what damage they will do to that point in a significant enough drop.     Plus, H and B are  using much longer (grade 8) bolts with approx 1.5J" spacers...thus putting a very different stress point at the mount as well.

https://www.hepco-becker.de/download/product/5027605_00_01.pdf

2020 Tiger 900 Rally Pro

Offline Q

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 XCA
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2021, 06:36:55 AM »
*Originally Posted by flyingburrito [+]
I'll be honest.  THe more I think about how these are mounted to the front engine/frame mount, it concerns me what damage they will do to that point in a significant enough drop.     Plus, H and B are  using much longer (grade 8) bolts with approx 1.5J" spacers...thus putting a very different stress point at the mount as well.

https://www.hepco-becker.de/download/product/5027605_00_01.pdf

some advice then pse - my 800 has the OEM bars mounted to the engine casing and it seems common cause that a serious drop, will result in you replacing the engine casing - fundamental design flaw IMO

a mate suggested replacing the bolts with aluminium ones? that will shear in the case of a drop and presumably not cause (serious) casing damage

would appreciate some views and guidance on this
When you talk, you only repeat what you already know - when you listen, you learn something new

Offline flyingburrito

• Tiger Member
  • Knees in the breeze
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2021, 08:09:22 PM »
Seems Hepco and Becker have released a newer "SOLID" version of their upper tank protection bars.

...bet the first design (what I purchased) goes bye bye when all are sold.    Rushed to market/faulty design?   

....and still NO torque specs for the new version.

https://www.hepco-becker.de/download/product/5097605_00_03.pdf
2020 Tiger 900 Rally Pro

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte' ......... By Skill and by Fighting
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2021, 03:51:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by flyingburrito [+]
....and still NO torque specs for the new version.

I agree, at the price H & B charge they should provide very detailed fitting instructions, including torque figures, as they must have used an actual bike in the development.

In the absence of supplied figures and assuming (always the dodgy part) the replacement fittings are the same grade I would always use the factory torque figures for the relevant fitting.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline flyingburrito

• Tiger Member
  • Knees in the breeze
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2021, 05:53:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
I agree, at the price H & B charge they should provide very detailed fitting instructions, including torque figures, as they must have used an actual bike in the development.

In the absence of supplied figures and assuming (always the dodgy part) the replacement fittings are the same grade I would always use the factory torque figures for the relevant fitting.

The retailers response on torque:  "   I agree 100% with you that the instructions would only benefit from having the proper torque settings provided. When replacing bolts with the higher spec ones the torque setting often drops compared to what the factory, Triumph, calls for. "

No specs provided.   Are the bolts a higher grade?    Physics changed due to long spacers and longer bolts provided.   

So many variables here.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 05:55:03 PM by flyingburrito »
2020 Tiger 900 Rally Pro

Recent Topics

winded-staunch