Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hepco and Becker upper tank protection bars issue. Tiger 900  (Read 2255 times)

Offline flyingburrito

• Tiger Member
  • Knees in the breeze
  • Bike: 900 Rally Pro
Re: Hepco and Becker upper tank protection bars issue. Tiger 900
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2021, 01:06:39 AM »
Whatever the bolt rating is....the torque should have been provided on the install instructions.  I did not receive any "service info pamphlet".   

They still have not corrected the lack of torque specs on the installation instructions for their newer "solid" model upper tank bars either.

2020 Tiger 900 Rally Pro
Check out my Rally Pro vids @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS6zojgZ5rzWpKNf1_MPf9Q/videos

Offline hawkbox

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2021 900 GT Pro
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2021, 01:19:18 AM »
Not providing torque instructions is frankly negligent. 

Offline jaredjensen

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 900 Rally
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2021, 01:28:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by flyingburrito [+]
I did not receive any "service info pamphlet".

I'm not defending them by any means.  All necessary installation info should be, ya know, in the installation instructions.  The "service info" pamphlet is a little book that frankly looks like a mini-catalog or marketing material, which is why I never looked at it.  I dug it out of the recycle bin this morning, and sure enough, it has a torque spec table.  I'd attach it as a photo here, but the "upload images" feature doesn't appear to work.  Here's a copy in my Google photo album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/oSVG5YHneFmiE1AK8

Offline jaredjensen

• Tiger Cub

Offline flyingburrito

• Tiger Member
  • Knees in the breeze
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2021, 02:12:39 AM »
Thanks for sharing that info Jared.       As you might imagine...I'm a bit ticked about this...I spent a lot of hard earned money on these bars...and a lot more having the broken bolts removed.  In my 40 years, I've never had an aftermarket part fail like this on cars, bikes, anything.   I've got a sh*tload of wrenching experience. 

That said....It looks to me like the torque specs they provide are very "general" and are for  only when a nut is used.   

The mounting location for these upper tank bars are a critical frame/engine mount.       General torque spec does NOT cut it.

I'm a complete whore for torque specs...   which is why I reached out to the retailer when I received them.  Their response... "good and tight".   This is not acceptable.

Like Hawkbox said....it's negligent for H and B to not provide those specs.   

2020 Tiger 900 Rally Pro
Check out my Rally Pro vids @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS6zojgZ5rzWpKNf1_MPf9Q/videos

Offline jaredjensen

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2021, 02:33:38 AM »
100% agree.  I'm personally less worried about the cost of the bars and more about screwing up the bike and/or getting stranded somewhere assuming I'm not going to want to ride the bike with two engine mounts sheared off.

*Originally Posted by flyingburrito [+]
Their response... "good and tight".

And yet, when they break the first question is "did you overtighten them?"  So frustrating.

Offline hawkbox

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2021 900 GT Pro
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2021, 04:05:25 PM »
Yeah, I'm definitely going to be paying more attention to what torque information is provided going forward.  I've always just assumed it would be in the instructions.

Offline flyingburrito

• Tiger Member
  • Knees in the breeze
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2021, 04:11:58 PM »
Even my Barkbusters came with torque specs....and these are not "critical" mounts.

2020 Tiger 900 Rally Pro

Offline Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2021, 10:04:35 AM »
If a company doing all sorts of protective parts, replies "good and tight" I would be pretty
ticked off, because then do they really know what they do and have a research design team
doing they jobs and not only people designing bars anyhow withtout much testing...

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2021, 04:33:50 PM »
Just guessing the H&B bolts are a longer version of the OEM bolts they replace, wouldn't the same torque apply?
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch