Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Mark Barrett, Marks Motorcycle Parts Service manual - should I do a reprint?  (Read 1318 times)

Offline ducatiparts.110mb

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
Good morning,

The demand for my original T800 book stopped some while ago and I've not had any reprints done for a long time. However recently I've had several emails asking about he book, one in particular saying that there is much internet chat about where you can get a copy from.

If there is sufficient interest I will get a reprint done, so please reply to this thread or PM me if you'd like a copy and I'll reserve one for you.

Thanks, Mark

Mark Barrett

Just to be completely clear, the book covers the Mk1 ABS and non ABS models, and the Mk1 XC except for a fork oil change. The Mk2 and later bikes had differences in the cylinder heads, so the valve clearance instruction doesn't cover the Mk2 bikes. However the Mk2 and later minor service items (oil, oil filter, air filter, brakes, rear suspension)  are all unchanged and so are covered by the book.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 09:50:32 AM by ducatiparts.110mb »

Offline Londonglide

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: xc
My understanding is it was a good, solid, how to, with the information needed, and pictures with a clear explanation.
I would like to know a bit more about it, and could be interested in either a hard copy or pdf.
Realistically, I would want to know what would distinguish it from the Muddy Sump Videos?

Offline 6172dave

• Tiger Cub
I would be interested in a copy. A book , not a PDF.

Dave

Offline barry.t100sr

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XR
 Interesting, but, is Haynes not good enough for most of us ?
Two Tents
1965 T100SR
1991 Trophy 1200
2016 Tiger 800XR

Offline BurntEnds

• Tiger Cub
*Originally Posted by ducatiparts.110mb [+]
Good morning,

The demand for my original T800 book stopped some while ago and I've not had any reprints done for a long time. However recently I've had several emails asking about he book, one in particular saying that there is much internet chat about where you can get a copy from.

If there is sufficient interest I will get a reprint done, so please reply to this thread or PM me if you'd like a copy and I'll reserve one for you.

Thanks, Mark

Mark Barrett

Just to be completely clear, the book covers the Mk1 ABS and non ABS models, and the Mk1 XC except for a fork oil change. The Mk2 and later bikes had differences in the cylinder heads, so the valve clearance instruction doesn't cover the Mk2 bikes. However the Mk2 and later minor service items (oil, oil filter, air filter, brakes, rear suspension)  are all unchanged and so are covered by the book.

I was so happy with the copy you sent me, I posted about it on a forum and people were clamoring to get a copy. Personally, I'd take preorders and just print that many copies lest you sit on a stack of them.

Offline BurntEnds

• Tiger Cub
*Originally Posted by barry.t100sr [+]
Interesting, but, is Haynes not good enough for most of us ?

I have the Tiger Haynes manual, the Triumph service manual, and the Barrett manual. I'm not here to sell you on any one of them, but as a quick reference guide, I do greatly prefer the Barrett manual to reference. For instance, the front headstock bearing. There's a lot of layers of washers, seals, races, and nuts to it, like some 7 layer taco salad, and having the profile picture of the headstock shaft shown with each part in the correct spot helps greatly. Haynes is B&W which you can't see clearly, the YouTube videos are too quick, and the Triumph manual is totally absent in all specifics.

The "bolts you need to check before a ride" page is alone worth it. I can run down the checklist of bolts, their torque settings, and knock them all out in a few minutes. My torque wrenches are in foot pounds, with newton meters as an afterthought, so the small torque settings (like <10Nm) being in foot pounds is really helpful for proper torque.

Offline jeffa

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: tiger 800 cbr600
How much are you looking for a copy please

Offline ducatiparts.110mb

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
Thanks for the interest.
I've not seen the muddysump videos, so cannot comment on those. In comparison to Haynes I'd say that my paper & photo quality far exceed theirs, and in comparison to the Triumph OE manual I'd say that I write for the home mechanic rather than the factory technician. There are testimonials on my website from past customers which suggest that I'm hitting those targets reasonably well. www.marksmotorcycleparts.co.uk

I would love to attach some sample pages, but I can't print much to PDF without going over the file size limits. Please PM me your email address and I'll send you the table of contents and a selection of internal pages.

All the best, Mark

Offline 6172dave

• Tiger Cub

I'm still interested in a hard copy if I could  get one. Does any one have a used copy laying around collecting dust?

TIA, Dave

Offline hawkbox

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2021 900 GT Pro
I didn't know it existed, would probably prefer it to my shop manual but I'm in the process of selling the bike soon.  If you happen to make one for the 900 GT Pro I'll buy it in a heartbeat though.

Recent Topics