Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Exhaust valves clearance  (Read 1120 times)

Offline RTV

• Tiger Member
Exhaust valves clearance
« on: March 10, 2021, 11:41:30 AM »
Hi folks,

Yes, probably yet another valve clearances topic!

So here's the thing, bought my 2013 XC with about 50,000kms. Did a full service including valve checks and pretty much all exhaust valves were pretty tight as I was getting readings of about 0.23 / 0.25mm. Intake looked OK which makes sense as it's normally the exhaust ones that tighten over time...

Now, according to the manual it seems like the range for the exhaust should be between 0.325 and 0.375... they're now all in the 0.35 range. Triple checked everything and seems pretty sweeet to me.

Bike runs perfectly fine but I do hear a valve ticking noise which sounds like a little bit more pronounce than before. I know that these are ticking engines and it's the same sound that I hear on every video of a Tiger running, so my initial thought is just to leave it alone but...  is it my head playing tricks? Granted I've only ridden the bike twice before doing the full service so I might have been exactly the same before, but like always I'm second guessing myself if maybe that info that I've got is not correct?

I would appreciate your guys feedback here. I did follow the manual and our friend Muddy Sump videos, so pretty straight forward.

Thanks
Rami

Offline hawkbox

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2021 900 GT Pro
Re: Exhaust valves clearance
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2021, 05:27:27 PM »
I did my valves over the winter and noticed the same thing.  I've been told by a friend who does car mechanics that it can take several hours for it to settle out, and that if you really did it wrong you will know.

I've also read that the cam tensioner is really noisy on our bikes so it's quite possible that is the issue too. I'm trying not to freak out to hard about it.

Offline RTV

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2021, 05:51:49 PM »
So did it quiet down after a few hours for you? I've only used the bike about 40 minutes since...   we're in a full 5km lockdown here so not the easiest task to do a longer spin now these days.

But at the same time, if I need to re-do anything else now is the time.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 06:01:31 PM by RTV »

Offline hawkbox

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2021, 06:06:07 PM »
I let it idle on my driveway for around an hour and it seems to have settled out.  There is till 10cm of ice in most of my back alley and it's -10 here today so I won't be going for a real ride in the immediate future.  I feel like having it idle that long would have caused it to explode if there was a serious problem.

Offline RTV

• Tiger Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 09:21:50 PM »
Right, well... it certainly didn't explode after my ride with some "spirited" pulls. Bike felt strong and noise didn't change (for better or for worse).

So like I said, most likely just the way the bike is and have nothing to worry about.

Cheers
Rami

Offline hawkbox

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2021, 10:46:54 PM »
I should have recorded a minute of video before I did the valves so I would stop second guessing myself.

Offline RTV

• Tiger Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2021, 11:11:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by hawkbox [+]
I should have recorded a minute of video before I did the valves so I would stop second guessing myself.

Amen to that!

Offline RTV

• Tiger Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2021, 06:09:37 PM »
Got back to it today...  fresh mindset and I can definitely say that it's not a sound that will bring any concerns.

Doing the old trick with the screw driver, I'm pretty sure that the sound comes from the chain tensioner or at least that area.

Offline hawkbox

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2021, 05:41:04 PM »
That's definitely where I've been hearing it from too.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch