Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Intermittent starting problem  (Read 1014 times)

Offline tcall52

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2018 800 XRx
Intermittent starting problem
« on: March 16, 2021, 01:27:53 PM »
My 2018 Tiger 800 XRx is behaving as if the battery is weak.  The battery has been load tested and has adequate voltage, cracking amps, etc.  Pressing the starter switch turns the bike over but it fails to spin fast enough to start.  Suspecting a bad connection somewhere or possibly a bad starter motor, I took the bike to my local mechanic.  He called me today to tell me that he was initially unable to get the bike started, but after several tries it started right up just fine.  So, it appears to have a much-dreaded intermittent electrical problem.  Hes going to continue investigating but at this point theres no clear path to solve this issue.

Has anyone here encountered a similar problem?  Thanks.
Tom

2018 Tiger 800 XRx
1971 BMW R60/5

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
Re: Intermittent starting problem
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 08:57:43 PM »
From what you describe, I don't think it is a complicated problem. Look for a poor connection in the high current circuit between the battery, starter relay, main fuse and starter motor. Check and clean/wire brush all those connections, including the blades on the fuse. Oxidation and corrosion of those connectors can cause unwanted resistance when cranking. Also ensure a good frame ground from the battery and ensure the starter motor is bolted to the frame for a good ground. (On my 2012 model I added a high current cable directly between the battery and the starter motor to alleviate the frame connection.) If still a problem, suspect the starter relay.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 09:18:12 PM by chuckxc »
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline tcall52

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 02:26:04 PM »
Thanks for your reply, chuckxc.  This is helpful.  Lets hope cleaning up some connections will do the trick, and that Ill be reporting back soon that all is well.
Tom

2018 Tiger 800 XRx
1971 BMW R60/5

Offline tcall52

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 03:40:56 PM »
Well, were having trouble getting the bike to misbehave again.  It is starting perfectly, and has been for a couple of days. Damn.  Its beginning to look like all we can do is just go through the entire starter circuit and clean/tighten all connections.  And hope for the best...which is small consolation since Im planning a ride to New Mexico and Utah in April. 

I consider hope to be a poor strategy.  Theres still some time before the trip, so well see where this goes.
Tom

2018 Tiger 800 XRx
1971 BMW R60/5

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 08:14:16 PM »
That's the right way think, intermittent means it hasn't gone away---for good. That's typical of battery and fuse connections with oxidation. So assume the cause is still lurking and take action to eliminate even if it's not apparent right now. Good maintenance on the high-current starter circuit, as discussed, is good insurance-and less worry.
Di-electric grease is useful to protect contacts once you have cleaned them. Especially battery and fuse blades.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 08:17:50 PM by chuckxc »
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline andreb.s

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCX
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2021, 05:26:24 PM »
The same problem here. Resolved with the replacement of the spark plugs.

Offline tcall52

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2021, 08:52:33 PM »
The bike is running fine now, but the cause of the problem still hasnt been identified.  I did take it in and have the dealer (Touring Sport in Greenville, SC) do a full 36k mile service.  And, BTW, a couple of valves were out of spec. I asked them to go thru and check/clean all starter circuit connections while they had it opened up.

So, Ive done all I can reasonably do with regard to due diligence.  In a couple of weeks Ill be heading to NM. 
Tom

2018 Tiger 800 XRx
1971 BMW R60/5

Recent Topics

winded-staunch