Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Putting baffle back in Arrow exhaust  (Read 744 times)

Offline Roodpa

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRX
Putting baffle back in Arrow exhaust
« on: March 18, 2021, 10:24:12 AM »
I have owned my Tiger 800 XRX 2015 for just over 2 months but, due to lockdown and the winter weather, haven't been able to ride it too much so have just identified this problem. The bike came with an Arrow exhaust with the baffle removed (but it was supplied with the bike), which sounds great when firing the bike up and standing there, giving the throttle a bit of a blip but, on a real-time ride, it has a tendency, especially at certain revs, to have a really annoying 'drone' to it which is quite wearing.

I'm off on a long trip in the Scottish highlands in a few weeks and can't face a whole week of riding with my head banging so I would like to put the baffle back in, maybe temporarily, maybe permanently. Whilst I have the baffle, I don't have what seems to be a little bolt to secure it. However, I've offered up the baffle and it seems that it is going to be a really tight fit to get it back in (I can't gently push it in any further than a couple of
millimetres!).

My question is - If I tap the baffle back in using a piece of wood and a hammer, am I going to need the small screw to secure it or will it stay in? Is it worth putting a smear of copperslip on the baffle to help getting it out again if I decide to do so?

Offline boldie

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2020 Plate XRt
Re: Putting baffle back in Arrow exhaust
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 11:01:36 AM »
Hi, I certainly wouldnt recommend you reply on a push fit to secure the baffle. It could fly out with engines back pressure when the exhaust heats up and metal work expands with potentially fatal consequences for the poor person behind you.

It needs to be secured in with a fastener, you can use thermal expansion to your advantage here, pop the baffle in the freezer, and warm the exhaust up with a short ride and see what the fitment is like then.

I tried doing the same when I was 17 and lost the baffle, thankfully no one was behind me at the time.

Offline Roodpa

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 11:08:16 AM »
*Originally Posted by boldie [+]
Hi, I certainly wouldnt recommend you reply on a push fit to secure the baffle. It could fly out with engines back pressure when the exhaust heats up and metal work expands with potentially fatal consequences for the poor person behind you.

It needs to be secured in with a fastener, you can use thermal expansion to your advantage here, pop the baffle in the freezer, and warm the exhaust up with a short ride and see what the fitment is like then.

I tried doing the same when I was 17 and lost the baffle, thankfully no one was behind me at the time.

Very good point! I will have a few M6 bolts knocking about so I'll adapt one to the right length. Thank you for the advice!

Offline Shergar

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 02:13:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by boldie [+]

Was it you I saw in about 1978 on an FS1E pulling wheelies at Silverstone with a pillion passenger- in the days when you could take your bike pretty much to the side of the circuit for the Motor GP  - his baffle fell out and a very embarrassed passenger had to get off and retrieve it before they rode off to a chorus of laughter

Offline Roodpa

• Tiger Member
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 02:45:04 PM »

All done. Baffle wasn't as tight a fit as I anticipated so tapped in fine. Cut an M6 bolt down to correct length and secured with Loctite when I installed. Thanks for answering my stupid question.

Offline ScenicRoute

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2021, 10:24:47 AM »
Loctite is only working up to around 150 oC. I don't know if the tip of the exhaust will get hotter, but worth noting anyway.
New to Triumph.
Current bikes: Tiger 800 XRx, Honda ST1100, Honda VF1000F
Past bikes: YZ80, RG125, Z750GT, VFR800VTEC

Offline Linc

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 800 XCA
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2021, 08:42:33 PM »
I removed mine on my 2018 XCA arrow and was not happy.. I cut in half and put it back in using the screw that was in it.

Recent Topics