Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Exhaust Gasket  (Read 419 times)

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
Exhaust Gasket
« on: March 26, 2021, 06:45:50 AM »
Gave my 2017 800 XCA a full and comprehensive 12k service last October but only got the bike MOT'd and back on the road a couple of week's ago. Absolutely no problems from the service except for a blowing exhaust at the silencer- mid section joint which was disturbed during the service to enable me to remove and service the swinging arm.

The old seal was firmly stuck to the silencer input pipe and the problem seemed to be due to the bottom end of the seal having eroded away to allow a leak via the lower end of the slots in the end of the mid section pipe. The only solution was to replace the seal. The old seal took some removing due to its wire mesh structure which in the end required a chisel to dislodge!

The new seal had to be properly inserted to the correct depth in the mid section pipe which was not that easy with care needed to avoid damaging the relatively soft upper end. With the silencer re-fitted, the joint is now fully restored. However, I will certainly try hard not to remove the silencer again but, if necessary, I will definitely be prepared to replace the seal at the same time at a cost of about 10.
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline cyclops69

• Tiger Member
Re: Exhaust Gasket
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 11:58:56 AM »
I had a similar problem when I refitted my original exhaust to sell my gen 1. In the end I opened out the mid section inlet with some pliers so the gasket was further in and snug - then just did up the jubilee clip. Seemed to sort it ok.  It was also fiddly getting the gasket off to start with as you experienced but just worked it around carefully  from all sides/ends  with a small flat bladed screwdriver and it came free in the end.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 12:05:43 PM by cyclops69 »

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
Re: Exhaust Gasket
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2021, 01:54:50 PM »
My original gasket was effectively welded to the silencer inlet pipe (and therefore needed chiseling off) otherwise I might well have been able to slide it further into the mid section pipe to stop the exhaust blowing past the slots in the end of the pipe. As said, it's probably a joint best left undisturbed!
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Recent Topics