Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Going to look at my first Tiger 800XC, any tips for what I should be looking for  (Read 331 times)

Offline TigerInTheSun

• Tiger Cub
I have my heart set on a Tiger 800XC and will be checking this one out in the next couple of days:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/d/walnut-creek-2014-triumph-tiger/7298893831.html

It will mostly be used for a 20 mile each way highway commute everyday, but would love to explore fire roads and dirt tracks on the weekends and quiet days at work.

The owner just had a 36k service done on the bike that included valve adjustment.

Couple of questions...

1) Whats a fair price for this bike? It looks like its going to cost at least USD$1000 to add panniers ( which I think Ill need ) so want to make sure Im not overpaying for the bike itself.
2) Any concern about the mileage? I have a skewed view on what high mileage means having just sold my Goldwing that I put 134k miles on. [emoji4]
3) Anything in particular I should look at or ask about when viewing the bike?

Really really appreciate any help, this will be my first ADV style bike.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Bikerboy1000

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 2012 tiger 800
good choice of bike, my tiger 800 xc 2012 had 5000miles on it with full triumph luggage including panniers and i paid 5000 in uk six months ago, but checking other bikes I did get a good deal.

Offline Bikerboy1000

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 2012 tiger 800
forgot to mention I bought mine from a dealer

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
From the pics, it looks to have been well looked after and, in the UK, the equivalent of $6,500 would be a reasonable price in my opinion. If it has had got a full service history, with proper major services carried out every 12k miles, then there is probably nothing mechanical to worry about with a total mileage of ~39k miles not being particularly high. However, the proof is always in the pudding and it's best to take it for a good test ride to make sure everything works, especially the electronics, and there's no odd mechanical noises or handling issues.

Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Recent Topics

winded-staunch