Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Problems with the Horn  (Read 616 times)

Offline Flyingbanana

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800,SV1000
Problems with the Horn
« on: April 02, 2021, 10:08:38 AM »
Hi all. Heres one for you. Rode to work and used the horn/hooter and it sounded a bit week to start with so on a quiet road I gave it a good blast to clear its throat. All ok
Next day I had reason to use it to alert a car driver that I was more important that the text she was send on her mobile and I got no noise. At work I tapped the horn and got it working. On the way home I tried it and nothing.
With a multimeter and pressing the switch I get a reading of 11.xx. With the horn attached I hear a low warble buzzing drrrr zzzz type noise. Forgive my noise example.
I have tried a horn from another two bikes and no noise!!!
The only difference I have done to bike since probably the last use was to fit to the battery connections for Heated waist coat

Help please oh knowledgeable people

Alan
'' Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art ''

Online awjdthumper

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
Re: Problems with the Horn
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 11:43:37 AM »
I would start by making sure the horn works ok by connecting it directly across the battery. If I understand the wiring diagram correctly, one side of the horn should be connected to 12V with the ignition on. The horn sounds when the other side of the horn is connected to ground via the horn button when it is pressed. I would therefore check that one side of the horn is connected to 12V (purple/black wire?). If so, connecting the other side directly to ground should sound the horn, in which case, the switch or its wiring might be at fault.
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline Londonglide

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: xc
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 12:19:43 PM »
If its the original, I'd probably change it anyway. There are some bolt-in replacements with a much better sound.

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte'
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 05:36:32 PM »
I agree, try to prove the horn condition direct on a battery. If the horn proves good it could be something else as simple as a dose of electrical cleaner/lube into the horn switch?
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline jackOkeef

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger800 xrt
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2021, 09:06:22 AM »
I agree with Londonglide - the horn on the 800 isn't  that good.

Online awjdthumper

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2021, 09:18:46 AM »
I'm not sure that I've ever had the need to use my horn but one obvious problem on my XCA is that the horn is mounted under the front beak which must limit its loudness to some extent!

Offline Londonglide

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: xc
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2021, 10:14:14 AM »
I think this is the one I fitted.

https://www.ringautomotive.com/en/product/REH850

I was able to fit it in place of the original, under the Xc Beak.
Its not airhorn loud, but far better than oem.

Offline Flyingbanana

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800,SV1000
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2021, 08:36:21 PM »
Here is an update people
Took horn off and wired direct to battery and nearly blew me eardrums out as worked and loud.
Double checked the horn wires with multimeter and shows 11.38. Battery shows 12.xx
With horn plugged in it still gives a quiet fizz noise.

I did notice the live connection is a bit loose. Would this be the problem.

Whilst writing this I now have the idea of running a test wire from battery live to horn with original earth horn wire and try that. Will let you all know how I get on
'' Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art ''

Online awjdthumper

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2021, 08:46:05 PM »
Try both sides of the horn wiring to see where the fault lies; that is, run a 12 V wire from the battery to the 12 V side of the horn first and then run an earth wire to the earth side of the horn. Then you'll know which side of the horn you have faulty wiring or components.

Online characticus

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 XRx
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2021, 09:40:31 PM »
What model and year of Tiger? Horn wiring is different for later models (those with TFT clocks). If you have a gen 3 then also check the horn relay.

Recent Topics