Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Battery/General electric help!  (Read 437 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Altaylor355

  • Tiger Cub
  • *
  • Posts: 2
  • Bike: Tiger 800 xca 17
  • Location: Woodhouse Eaves
Battery/General electric help!
« on: April 05, 2021, 11:47:39 AM »
Hi all, I hope you can help me out with my electric issue...

I ride a 2017 XCA, it's been on the same battery since new and has covered around 20,000 miles.
Over January I made the mistake of not starting the bike for a while and therefore the battery went dead.
I then hooked it up to my Optimate, got a good health reading and cracked on.
Went to start it yesterday and I had solenoid clicks but not enough to turn over, so out came the Optimate once more.
Again I waited for good health, connected the battery back up and rode to the Peak District. I stopped and turned the bike off for fuel about 20 miles in and it started again with no problems.
Upon arriving in the Peaks about 30 miles later, I stopped again and this time even the dash wouldn't turn on. Completely dead everything.
I hooked it up to some jump leads which started the bike but it then cut out upon idle and continues to give me no lights or anything at all.

Thoughts on a postcard please guys?

My initial thoughts are that the battery could be okay but it's not charging when the bike is on?

PS, if anyone saw a Tiger getting recovered in Edale yesterday, that was me!

Many thanks,

Alex

Online healdem

  • ....has a fluffy tube
  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • *
  • Posts: 4581
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800
  • Location: Cheshire
Re: Battery/General electric help!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2021, 12:54:20 PM »
Id agree sounds like a duff battery
although a 4 year old battery feels kind of young to have died, my 2011 OEM battery lasted for 8 or 9 years or so. be realistic, if its run its course its run its course. there some here who reckoin 2..3 years is pushing it for battery life

If the bike ran fine once going then that would suggest to me the charge circuit is fine. but it would be woryh checking. if you dont' have a spare battery then you'll just have to buy a new battery and then go test.

if the batteyr is in good condition and fully charged test the voltage. you are looking for around 14.2v to 14.4v witht he engine running, anything more woudl indicate to me there may be an alternator or recitifer fault. if you are getting odd readings check your multimeter is reading DC voltage, and if it is and you are still getting odd voltages checlk,k if you get an AC reading.
anything less indicates the battery isnt' fully charged. That may be fine just the battery is low so absorbing more charge.
I think 12.6v is about as low as a good enough battery should go down to, below that and its almost certainly demic.

bear in mind
the starter needs volts AND amps to work. its possible to have a battery with a reasonable voltage but not enough amps (power). unless you happen to have access to a battery load tester its not something you can test at home.

the ECU requires over 12v

if you are buying a re;placememnt battery make certain yoiu get the right type. theres a few different physical sized batteris with similar reference numbers. the pl;ace you go to may not have the right information, so take the refee3nce of your existing battery to the shop don't just hope the shop knows the right battery for a motorbioke.

Offline awjdthumper

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 201
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
  • Location: Abingdon
Re: Battery/General electric help!
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 01:03:32 PM »
The  killer of lead acid batteries is Sulphidation. When fully charged, the electrodes in the battery will have been turned essentially into pure lead. However, when the battery discharges, the lead reacts with the sulphuric acid electrolyte to form lead sulphate on the plates but, normally, when you charge the battery up again afterwards, the process reverses.

However, if you leave it too long before recharging, the lead sulphate grow into larger crystals which cannot easily be dissolved back into the electrolyte reducing the electrical capacity of the battery. If you are lucky, the lead sulphate crystals will not be too well developed and a smart charger may be able to reverse the sulphidation - it uses special voltage pulses to try to do this. Unfortunately, in my experience, once you've let your battery remain discharged for ant length of time, it's time for a new one :161:
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline Altaylor355

  • Tiger Cub
  • *
  • Posts: 2
  • Bike: Tiger 800 xca 17
  • Location: Woodhouse Eaves
Re: Battery/General electric help!
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2021, 01:47:51 PM »
Thanks for your help so far guys.

It sounds like all signs point to a new battery.

I'll get one fitted as soon as I can and let you know what happens.

The original battery has been hooked up to my Optimate for about 4 hours now and it's reading as healthy. I'll wait until tomorrow and then try it again and see what happens.

I imagine even if it starts and idles comfortably, it'll only be a matter of time before it eventually cuts out though.

Alex

Offline awjdthumper

  • Tiger Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 201
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
  • Location: Abingdon
Re: Battery/General electric help!
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2021, 02:53:43 PM »
Sadly, I've got 4 old motorcycle batteries on my workshop bench all hooked up to separate Optimates. All are charged up and giving a green light but none has the capacity left to turn over a motorcycle engine! I should throw them out but can't bring myself to it!
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Online Stevie.P

  • Tiger Jedi
  • *****
  • Posts: 3926
  • 'Arte et Marte' ......... By Skill and by Fighting
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
  • Location: Plymouth, UK
Re: Battery/General electric help!
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2021, 04:15:01 PM »
It's never good to allow any lead acid battery to fall below approx. 60% charge as it seriously starts to deteriorate internally from sulphating about that point and lower. As mentioned, some chargers, like my CTek, have a recovery/rejuvenation mode that basically charges at a high rate around 15v and tries to reverse the sulphating. Personally I never bother messing with trying to recover a misplaying battery, once I have any doubt about a battery's' reliability it is time for renewal for me.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!


 


Recent Topics