Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Can't believe I'm asking this, but.... (sorry!)  (Read 911 times)

Offline Crunchbytes

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC 14
Can't believe I'm asking this, but.... (sorry!)
« on: April 06, 2021, 07:34:42 PM »
Hi All,

I can't believe I'm asking this, and I humbly apologise in advance.

So after hours of reading reviews, watching You Tube videos over and over again, scouring facebook, the ADV based forums, this forum, I had decided to replace the CST CM509 tyres that came on my 800XC with Michelin Anakee Adventures as a tyre that would meet my 'mainly road (prob 99%), but with option of (complete noob!) 'softroading' as and when I feel confident enough. (Triumph Adventure day booked for the summer, and planning more off road training this year)

Got in touch with the local stockists as recommended by peeps on this forum (thank you), only to discover that there appears to be supply problems (one was supposed to have 25 pairs of the Michelins delivered since last year, has received 1 pair - guessing double whammy of Brexit and CV-19...).

So - what do do? I'm sure the CST CM509s are trying to kill me (really don't inspire confidence - they're less than half the price of the others for a reason), and I'm really keen to change.

What are peoples real-world, UK based experiences of the following:
Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR (reviews: excellent dry/wet grip, but thin carcass that pucntures easily and when worn, the blocks start to come off...)
Avon Trailrider (excellent dry/wet grip and apart from mentioning a thin carcass, no one really has a bad thing to say apart from limited off road grip, which is understandable in the 80/20 categrory)
Conti TKC70 (some say best tyre ever, some say wobble at speed - which is it?)
Conti Trail Attack 3 (excellent all round road tyre, but limited to gravel roads for the 'offroad' part) (also the most expensive by some way!)
Any others that are readily available in the UK that meet the 90/10, 80/20-ish performance requirement? (ie, Shinko - hard to get hold of)

Thank you all, and please accept my sincerest apologies for asking!  I think I've now watched too many videos and read too many reviews for me to formulate an opinion!

Offline Tigger_xcx

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger Rally Pro
Re: Can't believe I'm asking this, but.... (sorry!)
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 10:21:12 PM »
Metzeler Tourance Next
OR
Metzeler Karoo Street

Had both, brilliant tyres, running next currently

Avons were excellent as well, but for some reason I stopped using them as was getting a puncture almost monthly, picking up nails screws, no idea why totally confuses me just got annoying
PC50 - SS50 5 speed with C70 head - fastest moped going - CB200 - CB360 G5 - X7 - RD400DX - XL500 - Z250 - GS500 - CB500 - CBR600FX - Street Triple R - 800 XC - 800 XCx - 800XCx - 900 Rally Pro

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 01:21:16 AM »
+1 :0461:
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline Q

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 XCA
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 06:16:04 AM »
loved the TKC70's and only slight weaving from the front at admittedly very high speeds (my bad)

surprised at the great road manners of the Dunlop Trailmax Mission tyres even though I fitted them for adventure riding grip - only downside is wet performance from the rear (probably due to the hard single compound used for longevity)
When you talk, you only repeat what you already know - when you listen, you learn something new

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 06:27:58 AM »
Had maybe 8 Avon Trailriders but with a 19" on the front. Love them.
Only one puncture a large nail that would have punctured any tyre probably. The last front did 27,000 km before replacement.
Have a Conti TKC70 on the rear at the moment as there were no Avons when I needed one. It's crap compared to the Avon nowhere near as confidence inspiring in the wet and nothing like the same grip on dirt. It t squirms all over the pace on dirt roads and doesn't ever feel like it is biting at all. It also appears that I will only get maybe 70-80% of the wear life that I get from the Avons.

I would rank the Piriellis stone last of the ones you have mentioned. Every Pirelli I have used since 1978 has been a puncture magnet and none have lasted even vaguely as long as other compatible tyres. The MT-60s on our Ducati Scrambler only lasted 8000km (F and R) with my wifes gentle riding and light weight.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 06:30:41 AM by K1W1 »

Offline bazthebike

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: xcx explorer
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 10:20:39 AM »
I ride explorer but always buy avon trailriders. Had dunlop trailmax on 800xrx and was impressed how good they were.

Offline HansTiger800

• Tiger Member
  • Dutch Biker
  • Bike: 800 XRX white
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 07:44:48 PM »
My 800 XRX now on Conti Trail attack 3  110/80 front ; great tyres !!
Before on a GS550, GS750, GS1000, ST100 (x2), ST1300. Now on a TIGER 800 XRX
cheers
JJB

Offline rainbow-walker

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Triumph Tiger
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2021, 09:07:26 PM »

I ended up with Bridgestone AX41's for a laugh.

RBW.

Offline ProfThunder

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 900 Rally Pro
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 06:49:46 AM »
I got the Bridgestone A41 adventures on my 900 Rally pro as thats what it comes with. Was intending to change them straight away as I always hated Bridgestone tyres I had previously on my sports tourers. Also to look at they reminded me of some Pirelli scorpion trail (early versions) on my tiger 800 many years ago that were hopeless.  I was actually really surprised by how good the Bridgestone a41s are. Very good grip  in the corners and very good in the wet and in the cold weather. Actually remarkably gripppy in cold weather (might be important for a uk based rider !!) Dont know how they will stand up to the hot weather or how long they will last but I would certainly buy them again. They dont look great though. Wouldnt take them off road. Mind you, thats the case for many of the tires that se supposedly 90% road 10% off road.

Tiger 900 Rally Pro (2020)
Triumph Thunderbird 900 (1995)

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2021, 12:50:18 PM »
The Tourance Nexts are the tyres that XR riders love to hate - OEM equipment, prone to whitelining as they wear so not so good for road use.
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Recent Topics

winded-staunch