Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Engine noise (slightly different to the usual)  (Read 295 times)

Offline Papalazarou

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 2013 800XC
Engine noise (slightly different to the usual)
« on: April 08, 2021, 05:57:27 PM »
Hello all. Ive been riding my 2013 XC for the first time in a while this week and have noticed a noise that I dont think I remember being there last year.

Its not the usual timing chain/valve/injector ticking noise (though that ticking is very much present), but a new gravelly exhaust sound. Im sure it wasnt there last year, I only really noticed the whirring and whistling noises then, but now when Im riding I can hear this gravelly burble that comes from the headers (I can definitely hear it below and between my legs, not coming from the standard exhaust behind me). Its most noticeable about 2500rpm on a light throttle, maybe gets drowned out at other times, and is not a bad noise as such, actually its quite sporty like when your first 1.0L car got a hole in the exhaust and made things sound more fruity.

The reason why its concerning me is because over the winter I did the valve clearances and found the exhaust valves to be very tight. It had done 14.5K at this point and reading around the forums it was clear that this is very common. I re shimmed all 6 exhaust valves as they were all at the very tight end of the tolerance, a couple slightly too tight. Before I put it all back together I had a recheck with a better feeler gauge and they all still felt tight, though its hard to tell as its a very fiddly job on these engines involving bending the gauges slightly to fit them. I thought its best to be slightly on the loose side than tight, and reshimmed again one size smaller.

Obviously this is now what has got into my head, that Ive gone and over done it by making the exhaust valves too loose and the exhaust burble is somehow a symptom. Could this be the case at all?
However, as I also changed out a rather dirty air filter and balanced the throttles at the same time this has lead me to think that maybe the engine was always supposed to sound like this, and didnt because it was in need of its 12K service.

Or, the nagging worry that Ive screwed up the valve clearances and this has somehow lead to the new exhaust noise, nice though it maybe, being a symptom of something quite bad.

Please help put my mind at rest!

Online chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
Re: Engine noise (slightly different to the usual)
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 10:04:30 PM »
Cleaning the very dirty air filter could well be the reason. I wouldn't be too concerned if it is running well with the usual torque. Unless you notice a marked change in fuel consumption (incomplete combustion cycle because of early valve opening), I'd leave it as is.
In to off-chance that  you removed the headers when working on the bike, make sure the flange seals are tight. That would cause noise.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline Papalazarou

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 2013 800XC
Re: Engine noise (slightly different to the usual)
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 09:01:05 AM »
Thanks for your reply.

I went for a short ride into the village last night, no earplugs snd visor open. It did sound more like a hearty induction roar that time.

Trouble is I don't have a good musical ear and find separating all the individual sounds in my mind difficult. Makes it hard to pin point one noise in the general cacophony.

Recent Topics