Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Windscreens and hearing damage  (Read 1819 times)

Offline BurntEnds

• Tiger Member
Windscreens and hearing damage
« on: April 08, 2021, 10:51:19 PM »
I took trip of about 900 miles recently and on the way back ran into some serious headwinds of about 30-40mph. Speeds on the interstate were between 65-75mph. I had the Triumph adjustable touring windscreen, wore ear plugs, put my chest down on the tank to keep out of the wind, adjusted the windscreen as much as possible, and had an arai helmet on. The last day of the trip I went about 400 miles, almost all of it directly into the wind.

Everything I tried to do correctly.

And I still have some hearing damage. Now about a week out, I have a seriously powerful ringing in my ears -- tinnitus. I've always had it, but this is easily 2x worse than before. Unfortunately, there is no cure, no treatment and no options.

I blame my hurry to get home (should have taken side roads and gone slower), and that horrible windscreen.

I have since ordered and received a new Madstad Windscreen and the difference is 100x better. I also have some better motorcycle specific ear plugs coming. There's nothing that will get my hearing back, but I mention this as a warning to anyone else. It didn't bother me in the least at the time, but I will live with this episode of hearing loss for the rest of my life.

Don't repeat my mistakes. Your hearing will not heal.

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
Re: Windscreens and hearing damage
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 12:59:17 AM »
This may seem like a completely random question but have you had Covid? My tinnitus has increased since having it, and a bit of googling revealed that this is not exclusive to me.
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Offline BurntEnds

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 03:22:15 AM »
No, had several close contacts and was tested three times. Antibodies were negative on 5 tests. Had the Moderna vaccine and got an antibody response to that.

I am not surprised at what you mentioned because one and three people that had covid manifest neurological symptoms. I work with someone who, six months on, has no smell at all.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Tiger Jedi
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 07:58:25 AM »
wore ear plugs,

What ear plugs were you using (and now ordered) ? Despite lots of claims some of them are just rubbish.

Unless they've been tested and have a excellent SNR rating (or the US equivalent) then stay clear.

One of the main problems is that the "noise" created when riding a bike consists of both very high and very low frequencies, consequently it's almost impossible to "protect" yourself even if the best earplugs that exist. For the very low frequencies (from turbulence) the "noise" literally travels through your body/head and bypasses the external ear canal.
Need Support ? Post issues in this section: Forum Help / Issues / Problems
Alternatively, pm me about private or commercial issues/questions.

Offline ItchyOxter

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger XR
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 09:13:00 AM »
My bike came with the touring screen with a spoiler attached which I immediately removed. Took the bike for its first run and could not escape the "dirty" air in any position, it was horrendous!. Refitted the spoiler and gave the bike another run and could not believe the difference in turbulence/noise. Worth trying as it provides much more adjustment to suit your height/helmet/position etc. I still suffer from occasional tinnitus which is usually triggered by obscure cross winds and 30 years of not wearing ear plugs properly! Hope your hearing improves soon!
If you choose not to decide, you have still made a decision!

Offline Grumps

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2018 800 Xca
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 09:25:07 AM »
I have the same after a fast run back from Eorope on my K1600GTL.

Despite a very quiet screen once I got over about 70mph I got turbulence. At 90 mph it was really too much for safety.

After a time of lockdown and very little riding I was out last week on my Tiger and now have an increase in ringing in my ears. It does wear off after a while but I am now going to do some serious research into screens and plugs. I have. Puig screen which is better than stock but I think Ill investigate a Madstad.

I have moulded and foamy earplugs. Again, a bit of research needed.
2018 Xca.  Suzuki GT380. Yamaha Xmax

If money can't buy happiness - explain motorbikes and beer

Offline Shergar

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2021, 11:20:42 AM »
Forty Five years of motorcycling plus some rather loud gigs in the late 70s early 80s has left me with tinnitus and also taken away all the high frequencies - annoyingly I was still able to hear the noise from the standard screen so swapped it almost immediately for a madstad that I bought used from someone on here.
Still wear earplugs to protect what hearing I have left - but the reduction in noise and buffeting with the MAdstad was a revelation. I have even got used to the looks of it after 3 years.
Protection of all sorts has come a long way from the time when a pair of DM boots and a belstaff jacket was thought to be a bit OTT.

And as a complete aside - if you are in the UK and have hearing loss - go for the NHS hearing aids - they are free - they are digital and they really work - without mine in no bird song - turn them on and the trees come alive with sound. Plus they are now able to be controlled from my phone - the only downside is they don't act as bluetooth earphones for music.
The likes of Boots must love it when people head there and pay 1k plus for the same thing.

Offline rubbertoe

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: tiger 800 xca
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2021, 01:10:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by BurntEnds [+]
I took trip of about 900 miles recently and on the way back ran into some serious headwinds of about 30-40mph. Speeds on the interstate were between 65-75mph. I had the Triumph adjustable touring windscreen, wore ear plugs, put my chest down on the tank to keep out of the wind, adjusted the windscreen as much as possible, and had an arai helmet on. The last day of the trip I went about 400 miles, almost all of it directly into the wind.

Everything I tried to do correctly.

And I still have some hearing damage. Now about a week out, I have a seriously powerful ringing in my ears -- tinnitus. I've always had it, but this is easily 2x worse than before. Unfortunately, there is no cure, no treatment and no options.

I blame my hurry to get home (should have taken side roads and gone slower), and that horrible windscreen.

I have since ordered and received a new Madstad Windscreen and the difference is 100x better. I also have some better motorcycle specific ear plugs coming. There's nothing that will get my hearing back, but I mention this as a warning to anyone else. It didn't bother me in the least at the time, but I will live with this episode of hearing loss for the rest of my life.

Don't repeat my mistakes. Your hearing will not heal.
      I have had tinnitus for a long time and the madstad has helped hugely with wind noise and buffeting. I always use good earplugs and the one thing different with me is I have been wearing a Schuberth C3 Pro for years now. The only reason I tried the Schuberth is that it is extremely quiet. Heavy but I would never go back to any noisier helmet.

Offline BurntEnds

• Tiger Member
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2021, 05:19:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by Admin [+]
What ear plugs were you using (and now ordered) ? Despite lots of claims some of them are just rubbish.

Unless they've been tested and have a excellent SNR rating (or the US equivalent) then stay clear.

One of the main problems is that the "noise" created when riding a bike consists of both very high and very low frequencies, consequently it's almost impossible to "protect" yourself even if the best earplugs that exist. For the very low frequencies (from turbulence) the "noise" literally travels through your body/head and bypasses the external ear canal.

I don't know what brand. They were foam plugs from work (for industrial protection) I used two types, on called Flentz, the other some industrial type. The brand "Milwaukee" makes -32 or -34db ear plugs and they were the most powerful of all. Part of the issue was the Arai Quantum helmet was kind of noisy (in retrospect) and the other was the windscreen, and the third was crummy ear plugs. The Milwaukee ones:
https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Safety-Solutions/Personal-Protective-Equipment/Ear-Plugs

It's been fairly steep price, but I got the Madstad and installed that. Big help. Got a different helmet, a Klim Krios Carbon. It is both lighter and so much quieter than the Arai. And it was cheaper.  I have tried the Alpine brand earplugs, and I'm not a fan. My kids love them but I don't think they're very quiet. I tried the Race version of the Alpine earplugs.

Offline BurntEnds

• Tiger Member
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2021, 05:20:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by Shergar [+]
Forty Five years of motorcycling plus some rather loud gigs in the late 70s early 80s has left me with tinnitus and also taken away all the high frequencies - annoyingly I was still able to hear the noise from the standard screen so swapped it almost immediately for a madstad that I bought used from someone on here.
Still wear earplugs to protect what hearing I have left - but the reduction in noise and buffeting with the MAdstad was a revelation. I have even got used to the looks of it after 3 years.
Protection of all sorts has come a long way from the time when a pair of DM boots and a belstaff jacket was thought to be a bit OTT.

And as a complete aside - if you are in the UK and have hearing loss - go for the NHS hearing aids - they are free - they are digital and they really work - without mine in no bird song - turn them on and the trees come alive with sound. Plus they are now able to be controlled from my phone - the only downside is they don't act as bluetooth earphones for music.
The likes of Boots must love it when people head there and pay 1k plus for the same thing.

Unfortunately as an American, we are totally screwed because hearing devices are almost never covered by insurance, and the out of pocket costs approach $2000. It's sad. Consider yourself lucky to have that opportunity.

Recent Topics