Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Windscreens and hearing damage  (Read 1840 times)

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte' ......... By Skill and by Fighting
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
Re: Windscreens and hearing damage
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2021, 05:40:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by Shergar [+]
And as a complete aside - if you are in the UK and have hearing loss - go for the NHS hearing aids - they are free - they are digital and they really work - without mine in no bird song - turn them on and the trees come alive with sound. Plus they are now able to be controlled from my phone - the only downside is they don't act as bluetooth earphones for music.
The likes of Boots must love it when people head there and pay 1k plus for the same thing.

:0461:

The wife of my best friend from work recently went to the Dr. about her hearing and she was told she needed hearing aids and to get them from the NHS as they are now digital and as good as any she might buy and that the first thing that they do at the hearing centres is eye you up to estimate how much they think you can afford. :023:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline sprucetiger

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2021 Tiger900GTP
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2021, 05:12:30 PM »
*Originally Posted by tauzero [+]
This may seem like a completely random question but have you had Covid? My tinnitus has increased since having it, and a bit of googling revealed that this is not exclusive to me.

I don't know if I had COVID or not.  But last year summer I developed ringing in ears (and I was not riding due to lockdown).  It has never gone away.  I always ride with earplugs, always have.  I do think there is something to that for some people.  Ear problems run in my family (which is why I always wear plugs), so maybe that makes me more vulnerable to the problem.  Who knows.

Offline chico

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2021, 05:36:39 PM »
Spruce, are you or were you exposed to other noisy events? There are many reasons other than motorcycle riding that can cause hearing loss.

Chico

Offline UncleGary

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2021, 03:27:29 AM »
*Originally Posted by sprucetiger [+]
I don't know if I had COVID or not.  But last year summer I developed ringing in ears (and I was not riding due to lockdown).  It has never gone away.  I always ride with earplugs, always have.  I do think there is something to that for some people.  Ear problems run in my family (which is why I always wear plugs), so maybe that makes me more vulnerable to the problem.  Who knows.

Yes, ringing or tinnitus can occur without exposure to loud sound. My mother had the issue and never worked or lived anywhere noisier than an office. Whether you have a family history of hearing issues or not, it makes no sense to not protect yourself. If you can afford Triumph replacement parts, you can afford decent hearing protection. Rant over. 

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2021, 07:40:33 AM »
There are many causes of tinnitus but I suspect that a single motorcycle ride of a couple of hundred miles is not one. More likely the OP either has another underlying medical issue or the tinnitus is a result of prolonged hearing damage over previous years. The ride may have aggravated the issue but I'm sure it did not cause it and I bet the screen on the motorcycle had little or no on the outcome.

Offline sprucetiger

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2021 Tiger900GTP
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2021, 04:15:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by chico [+]
Spruce, are you or were you exposed to other noisy events? There are many reasons other than motorcycle riding that can cause hearing loss.

Well I am old, and I was in the Army (Aviation) for years.  But I have always worn earplugs.  Mine started last summer, and I suspect it was related to this whole covid crap.  I did have a headache for about three weeks, but never had any other symptoms.  Wasn't available to get tested back then, so who knows.

Offline BurntEnds

• Tiger Member
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2021, 04:19:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by K1W1 [+]
There are many causes of tinnitus but I suspect that a single motorcycle ride of a couple of hundred miles is not one. More likely the OP either has another underlying medical issue or the tinnitus is a result of prolonged hearing damage over previous years. The ride may have aggravated the issue but I'm sure it did not cause it and I bet the screen on the motorcycle had little or no on the outcome.

I am OP. I dont believe weve ever met, and as a result I think its a bit puzzling to draw conclusions as you have about my background and experience with hearing loss.

To clarify, yes, this windshield and helmet combo profoundly exacerbated the tinnitus I have. Having changed one at a time, and trying both in concert was substantially better even at speeds of 75mph into 20-40mph headwinds identical conditions that spurred my original caution.

Offline White Lightning

• Tiger Master
  • Personal text? Hmmm... later something witty.
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCx
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2021, 08:19:49 PM »
Good earplugs custom molded to your ears are cheap insurance.  Go to hearing place, pick a pair up, never have issues again.

Offline fac191

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Super Tenere ES
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2021, 10:46:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by sprucetiger [+]
Well I am old, and I was in the Army (Aviation) for years.  But I have always worn earplugs.  Mine started last summer, and I suspect it was related to this whole covid crap.  I did have a headache for about three weeks, but never had any other symptoms.  Wasn't available to get tested back then, so who knows.

The Covid / Tinnitus connection has been reported over here. I have had it 10 yrs.

Offline Londonglide

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: xc
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2021, 09:36:59 AM »
I have Tinnitus, like a lot of us, and have ridden bikes, worked in factories, travelled on the underground where noise levels are high, and gone to many rock concerts. I'm 60 now and it has got worse in the last five years, but whatever the cause, and its probably a combination in most cases, I have started wearing Custom earplugs on the bike, and it is a revelation.
At the 2019 Bike show in London, I took the opportunity to have a pair of custom ear inserts made at a special show price.
Having used various types of plugs, from the industrial disposables, to the Alpine Motosafe, they were a different level of comfort.
I was surprised at how much wind noise, even subconsciously, affects your overall ride experience.
I would recommend anyone who can, to seriously consider moulded plugs. Tinnitus is a bitch, and it only seems to get worse, not better.
Also I got them in Orange, to match my bike....so now I have to buy a Royal Enfield Interceptor to match too.....ahem....

Recent Topics