Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Planning Cape York (Aust) mid 2022. How to prepare and what 'could I break'  (Read 428 times)

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2015XC
Looking at the Bucket list and time to bite the proverbial.

Putting aside 2020, I have put around 15k on my 15 XCX in just over a year of riding and pretty happy with the set up so far but now planning for a serious off road adventure.

Will provide some map links and examples of the trek 'later' but first step is getting out a big piece of plain paper and wanting to poll everyone on how I should set up the bike. (I will post my current set up in another response)

To put things into context, one of my mates needs to buy a bike for the trip and currently looking at say a KLR, 650 GS BMW, Versys or similar.

So when looking at a few forums I am amazed at what one would have to do to set up the KLR. Off road they are capable of breaking lots of things which got me to thinking what don't I know about the Tiger.

So here goes, what don't I know guys, what breaks, what is a good investment, what do I need to consider now:

For the Oz guys, who has done it, please share.  (btw it wont be the full telegraph Track .. thats for DRZ guided tours)

Cheers.

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Pro
Upfront I have dirt ridden all my life but not on something like a Tiger but setting it up as if it was a dirt bike.

Work/set up to date;

Akrapovic Exhaust, Commander V, Unifilter pre sock and K&N main filter.
Explorer bars with Bark Busters
Aftermarket Levers that fold away and LED indicators tucked out of the way.
Removed the pillion peg mounting tubes, fitted an alloy plate over the rear brake master.
Foldable gear lever
Tubeless front and rear. About to go shopping for Motoz (thanks to Aussie tiger - already have full tire change equip, tube and mini compressor)
Increased preload in the front suspension and fitted neoprene seal protection socks. (will service & replace oil this year)
Radguard Radiator surround & Pivot Pegz
Built my own 'tool boxes' either side and mounted Nelson Riggs soft vinyl bags
Covered the main fuse under the Battery with conductive grease (may set up a drain fitting and tube)
Removed all the front plastics
Pulled down, cleaned and greased all the suspension bearings (front and rear) plus just bought tapered bearings to change the front head set.
Cobbra Nemo chain oiler with my own mix of gear oil and chain and bar
Comprehensive tool kit under pillion seat including chain breaker, links and lots of bits n pieces including epoxy repair glues.
Std alloy bash plate that I will look at reinforcing ??? ideas.
Spare clutch cable

On the list to do;
Fuel filter - gauze in tank type. Have Metho for water.
Post tank high pressure filter ?? Can something go inline to the injectors?
Another spare pre sock and filter cleaning & re oiling kit, and maybe material style dust socks ... can you still get them?... shake everyday and recover the pre sock.)

Conditions;
VERY Long stretches of dirt road with lots of corrugations, very fast 4WDs with trailers and vans, road trains with 3 or more trailers, sand, more sand and sand that looks like sand but maybe fine dust. (Bull dust)
Recommended to pull over in a safe place in the dust if being passed... so thick other vehicles may not see you !!!

Yet to decide what parts of the Telegraph Track we can do safely but likely to do day trips to the major attractions and stay close to the main road. Will have tents and camping gear but utilise fuel stops / camp areas with meals etc where we can.

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
Are you riding all the way from Melbourne?
If so I would be staging a new set of off road tyres in say Cairns and using a set of road biased tyres to get to Cairns and then back to Melbourne. It's what 2700km each way to Cairns by the short way and another 700 or so to the top from there. Any dirt tyre you use to ride there would be as square as a car tyre by the time you get to need to working off road.
I would also practice fixing flats on the front and rear wheels until I could do it blindfolded in the dark with one arm behind my back.
Lastly. Buy RACV Total care before you leave if you don't have it.

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Pro
Haha K1W1. I know how to but its not my favorite job.

Who sits around with a few beers and practices that ???

Need to work through the logistics of getting the bike there and back. Have a base in Townsville which is the guy looking at KLRs at the moment and also kicking around the idea of riding up early in 2022, doing some test runs with the guys, replacing tires, leaving my bike and flying home. Fly back up for the trip. One of the guys lives in Gold Coast so maybe pick him up on the way through.

Personally I would encourage them both to do an off road riding skills course, I would do it as well and hone the craft. Confidence is certainly one of the biggest.

We are currently putting out the word to see if any of my Tville friends mates is interested in doing 4WD Ute back up.
That would make a huge difference but we need to plan without that just incase it falls through anyway.

Have just bought 2 x UHF radios and looking to set up Blue Tooth via a small adaptor into Helmet comms. A guy in Melb has proven the system on you tube. Will have the UHFs in the next week but need to program then first, get all the accessories and blue tooth gear plus I need to get a new Helmet, goggles (haha) and Sena system.

We know we are going to get separated so comms is important including talking to Trucks and 4WDs.

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Pro
The post that just went down the time out pipe was the one about KLRs, so here goes again.

When reading lots of threads on the KLRs they are somewhat weak on the hardware for the rear pack rack and frame bolts.

Off roaders appear to replace everything with High Tensile, drill the captive nuts and fit HT bolts and nylocs.
Some sub frame bolts are also suspect so they need HT and Loctite.

So that begs the question what is the Tiger like. What breaks ?? Its not something I noticed on any of the Forums.

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Pro
So for those curious to know where Cape York is and why this is an adventure, please see attached link.

https://explorecapeyork.com.au/cape-york-via-the-pdr/

From our base at Townsville we have approx 2700klm round trip without exploring tracks and attractions. 

For those who would like some You Tube entertainment you may wish to follow Roz starting at Video 39 as per link below. (It goes into 40 and 41) Don't get bogged down in the first 3 or 4 minutes. It starts on the road about min 5.0. Yes she is a bit over the top but perhaps turn the volume down occasionally haha.
I would suggest Roz is not your average Ozzie lady but she certainly has got plenty of get up and go to take this on solo.

/>
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 01:57:53 AM by Newhorizons »

Offline K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
*Originally Posted by Newhorizons [+]
Haha K1W1. I know how to but its not my favorite job.

Who sits around with a few beers and practices that ???

Back in the day we used to practice a lot. Could do a rear tube change in four minutes from stopping the bike to riding off but they were Enduro bikes although we did run 6 ply rear tyres which were bit*hes to change.
I see that you are running tubeless rims anyway so that makes tyre removal much less important anyway

*Originally Posted by Newhorizons [+]
Have just bought 2 x UHF radios and looking to set up Blue Tooth via a small adaptor into Helmet comms. A guy in Melb has proven the system on you tube. Will have the UHFs in the next week but need to program then first, get all the accessories and blue tooth gear plus I need to get a new Helmet, goggles (haha) and Sena system.

Sena make an adapter that converts radios and the like to BT to interface with their comms. A mate has one and it works well you just need the correct cable between the Sena unit and the radio. I just use an earpiece when we use them. I've never had a problem wearing one under a helmet and the advantage for what we use them for is that you can still wear them when you take your helmet off which is handy if you are at a crash site for an hour or 90 minutes in summer. The one problem with the earpiece is the PTT button. Not much of an issue on the road but it would be off road. A left thumb operated button on the bars would be way better off road.

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
  :017:  :187:  Four minutes??!!?? Nah. Can't even do a bicycle tyre in 4 minutes. Unpack the tool kit, take off the wheel, break the bead  etc....

Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Recent Topics