Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Vibrating chain guard on acceleration  (Read 601 times)

Offline Rustyblack

• Tiger Member
  • Old but not too bold.
  • Bike: Tiger XRx 800
Vibrating chain guard on acceleration
« on: April 13, 2021, 11:52:58 AM »
Has anyone else noticed a drumming/ rattle from the chain guard under acceleration? 
I have checked chain is adjusted ok, evidence that the end of the chain guard vibrates at a certain rev rage especially on bends/roundabouts.  Slight marks on the inner faces of the chain guard at the wheel adjuster end. 
I may try to fabricate a bracket to see if I can stop it occurring,  has any one else already done this?
 :465:
Always consider that your alter ego may be coming the other way on the road you are on. 💥💀

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
Re: Vibrating chain guard on acceleration
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 04:30:38 PM »
I would start off by checking the static clearance of chain and guard with the bike on the centre stand and the top run of the chain pulled tight.

My XCA made a strange sound from the chain in my workshop after its 12k service. Eventually, I realised that the bottom run of the chain was rubbing against the centre stand stop bracket. This was only noticeable with the bike on the centre stand but a slack chain might show the same problem on the road - worth checking this clearance with the bike off its stands.
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline Rustyblack

• Tiger Member
  • Old but not too bold.
  • Bike: Tiger XRx 800
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 08:12:08 AM »
Chain is adjusted up as per handbook,  rubbing strips in good order, chain and sprockets all ok low mileage.
It is definately the end of the chain guard that is moving side to side, all fixings are in place and tight.
Always consider that your alter ego may be coming the other way on the road you are on. 💥💀

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 08:53:21 AM »
I've just had a look at my 2017 XCA and the chain guard on mine is fully open at the back on the inside; in other words it is L-shaped rather than U-shaped in cross section. On the outside and above, there is about 1/2" of clearance and, although the end of the chain guard is fairly flexible, I don't think there is any possibility of it coming into contact with the chain!
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Recent Topics

winded-staunch