Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Givi S250 Tool Box Fitting to PLR6401  (Read 1223 times)

Offline Baz9524

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: (2015) 800 XRx
Givi S250 Tool Box Fitting to PLR6401
« on: April 16, 2021, 05:02:22 PM »
Hi folks, has anyone found a suitable Givi fitting kit to install their S250 tool box to the older PLR6401 pannier rack?

Givi site recommends the TL1146KIT but that's for the PLR6409 which replaced my PLR6401, so I contacted Givi directly to confirm.  They told me they don't have a kit specifically for the PLR6401 and therefore couldn't recommend any of their kits!  What a joke!

Fitting to my (2015) 800 XRx.

I spoke to a Givi retailer over the phone and he understood the problem, but couldn't offer a guaranteed solution.  He suggested the TL1146KIT would "probably" work, but may need some minor modification work.  Problem is that the kits are around 60 so it's a lot of money to take a punt on, and the seller can't offer a kit to trial fit or return.  Once it's opened it's mine.

Just wondering if anyone else has faced this same issue and managed to find a solution?

This is the offending PLR6401 rack.  I added the dimensions to help the Givi retailer.

Offline Baz9524

• Tiger Member
Re: Givi S250 Tool Box Fitting to PLR6401
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 10:38:59 PM »
SUCCESS!!
I tried contacting Givi again and got through to someone more sympathetic to my plight, but they couldn't really help.  So I took a punt on the standard fitting kit, (S250KIT).
This is the basic all rounder that can work of a number of bikes.  It might not be a perfect fit for your bike and pannier rack combination but I managed to get it to work for this.
I had to drill an extra hole in the bracket (yellow circle), and also had to change the angle of one of the holding arms (blue arrow), but I got there.
The toolbox is a very snug fit between the pannier rack and bike, but it's OK, (photo below shows how tight).  You have to install it in quite a specific way which I can't really explain, it becomes quite obvious when you attempt to install and realise you need to slacken something first or hold something in.  Trial and error is all I can offer on that part.

There is a nut (red circle) that's tight against the angled arm (blue arrow).  This part was quite tricky.  You need to have one of the flat sides of this nut being parallel with the blue arm, simply because the fit is so tight.  Install the arm but then pull it out from the bottom (purple circle) so that you have space to tighten the nut (red circle).  When the nut is tight, make sure a flat side is parallel with the arm and then push the arm back into place.  There is some fouling between the nut and arm but you can get them side by side as in the picture.

Important note, you'll need a tap and die set as you need to fully tap the holes (green circles).  These two holes are only tapped about two thirds of the way through the frame, you need to remove the bolts and then thread all the way through with a tap.  It's in the instructions.  If it helps, I did it with a cheap tap & die set from lidl and it was my first attempt at tapping a hole.  No dramas at all, anyone can do it.

Hopefully this helps anyone unlucky enough to have the same "old" PLR6401 pannier rack as me!!

Online jeffa

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: tiger 800 cbr600
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2021, 10:27:02 AM »

Well written and explained, How watertight is the toolbox ?

Offline Baz9524

• Tiger Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2021, 10:45:48 AM »
Thanks very much.
I haven't checked the waterproof properties of the case yet but I'll do that and report back as soon as I can.

Online jeffa

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: tiger 800 cbr600
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2021, 10:53:08 AM »

Thanks Baz,

Offline Baz9524

• Tiger Member
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2021, 06:26:09 PM »
Sorry for the late reply on this, hadn't been out in the rain much since the install.  Gave the bike a thorough wash down to prep for winter storage.  Plenty of hosing going on and when I checked the Givi tool box, all seemed nice and dry inside.

The only potential water ingress points are the 4 holes where you screw the box onto the bracket and the lid.  They give you 4 o-rings to seal the attaching bolt holes, but you could always bolster this with silicon sealant if you felt the need.  The lid of the box seems well sealed as well.

All in all, very happy with it.  I keep a puncture repair kit and small electric air compressor in there, along with tie wraps and a pair of thin working gloves.  A tight fit but a good bit of storage in an otherwise dead space on the bike.

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2021, 06:42:02 AM »
I was impressed with the S250 you fitted and have just ordered one for my XCA but using the TL2246 fitting kit. However, I've just watched a video on how to fit it and it was far from straightforward with the guy having to use a slightly different configuration to that given in the fitting instructions. Anyway, it looks like it will be a very useful addition to my XCA and allow me to carry some kit to deal with a possible tubed tyre punction :002:
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Master
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2021, 06:21:36 AM »
My Givi toolbox arrived the other day and has now been fitted. Only issue was that the two metal brackets that brace the toolbox mounting plate have to be clamped to the top  bar on the pannier frame rather than the side bars as per the Givi instructions.

I have now stowed away spare tubes for both tyres and a mini electric pump under the rear seat and rear cover together with all the tools needed to fix a puncture in the toolbox. Hopefully, I never get a puncture but I am at least prepared for one rather than having to rely on the AA to get me home :002:
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline Baz9524

• Tiger Member
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2021, 08:07:06 AM »
Great stuff! It's a bit pricey for the size, especially when combined with the price of the bracket, but I love having that wee bit of permanent extra storage.
 :152:

Online Guzz-the-biker

• Tiger Cub
  • In the final stages of my adventure years
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2021, 03:33:26 PM »
Well that's my first question answered :028:

Many thanks for this guys, esp for the pics
Guzz

Recent Topics

winded-staunch