Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger 900 GT Oil Drain plug?  (Read 823 times)

Offline sprucetiger

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2021 Tiger900GTP
Tiger 900 GT Oil Drain plug?
« on: April 17, 2021, 06:27:15 PM »

I have a 2021 Tiger 900 GT Pro.

So I hit 500 miles yesterday and was planning to do my oil change this morning.  Crawled under the bike, what the heck is this?  It appears round, how do you remove that to change the oil?  Or is this one of those insert tool to drain type of things?

Offline sprucetiger

• Tiger Member
Re: Tiger 900 GT Oil Drain plug?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 05:17:59 AM »
I can't find anyone who seems to have done their own oil change on the 900 yet.  Guess it is just too new. 
Found one guy on YouTube showing an ODB2 tool to reset the spanner for service indicator.

I am going to remove the plastic guard on the bottom tomorrow and see what else I can see on the bottom.  Worse case I do have an appointment at the dealer in 3 weeks...  just means no long rides until then. Bummer.

Offline wrbell

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 900 GT LRH
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 09:14:45 AM »
I have done 3 oil changes on my 900 GT, at 5000, 15000 and 25000 klms. Dealer did it at 1000, 10000 and 20000 klms.

The photo does does not show the drain plug. I don't know what it is, but it's not the drain plug.

As you have suggested, take the plastic guard off. Try not to get the 4 screws and washers that hold the guard on mixed up - the screws and washers are two different sizes. Don't ask me how I know.

Once you take the guard off the drain plug will be staring you in the face. The plug is M14 hex drive I think. There is also a aluminium washer under the plug to replace.

Hope this helps.

Offline Worty28

• Tiger Member
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 10:54:25 AM »
I've changed my oil 2 times now. You have to remove the skid plate. Shows you how in the Owners Manual page 129

Offline sprucetiger

• Tiger Member
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 05:00:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by wrbell [+]
Once you take the guard off the drain plug will be staring you in the face. The plug is M14 hex drive I think. There is also a aluminium washer under the plug to replace.

Thanks for that.  I wonder why THAT would be the thing exposed through the skid plate?  Strange.  I ordered the metal one, and I really hope you don't have to remove it to do an oil change.  I will drill a hole in it if that is the case.

I have a bag of crush washers from doing these on my 800.

Offline sprucetiger

• Tiger Member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 05:01:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by Worty28 [+]
I've changed my oil 2 times now. You have to remove the skid plate. Shows you how in the Owners Manual page 129

Thanks!  Never had a bike that the skid plate had to come off for an oil change...  First time for everything.

I need to go download the manual, I usually don't bother because I would have a Haynes manual for torque specs, etc.  But they don't have one yet for this model.  I hope they do eventually.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte' ......... By Skill and by Fighting
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2021, 06:04:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by sprucetiger [+]
.. I need to go download the manual, ...

:187: Surely the bike came with a hard copy of the owners manual along with a service record book in a Triumph wallet.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline sprucetiger

• Tiger Member
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2021, 06:24:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stevie.P [+]
:187: Surely the bike came with a hard copy of the owners manual along with a service record book in a Triumph wallet.

Nope.  Dealers in the US are not as friendly as the rest of the world it seems.  :)

Offline Worty28

• Tiger Member
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2021, 06:49:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by sprucetiger [+]
Nope.  Dealers in the US are not as friendly as the rest of the world it seems.  :)

Really!  Mine came with a Triumph backpack with all the doc in it.

Offline sprucetiger

• Tiger Member
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2021, 09:41:17 PM »
Ok, Gents mine must be really strange.  This is after I removed the the skid plate.  The forward bolt is holding on a bracket that the skid plate connects to, and this circle thing has to be the oil drain plug.  Bizarre.

There is a hole in the skid plate to get to that spot, so it would make sense to me.  It is perfectly round at the bottom but has an Allen key at the base, the online manual shows that is the right spot.   An M8 key does fit up in it, just didnt look like what I was expecting.

I was literally handed my keys and told the bike was out back in the alley when I picked it up.  To be fair it was after closing.  I emailed the sales guy today and he said he has a backpack for me when I come in for first service.  So they would normally have given me a manual.

So apparently you do NOT have to remove the skid plate, although it makes getting the oil filter off easier and maybe you will make less of a mess.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch