Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Wind noise  (Read 575 times)

Offline Seanocaoimh

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800
Wind noise
« on: April 17, 2021, 07:16:55 PM »
Hi all,
    The last few years I've been driving my 800 with an adapted screen (nod to Kildare man) and a Shark Evoline 2 without that much wind noise. I've just bought a HJC RAPH70 because the reviews said it was a very good lid for the money and was exceptionally quiet. Well I've found out it's anything but quiet.
The wind noise anywhere above 50mph is very bad.
Anyone any suggestions on how I can lower the decibels.
I always wear earplugs when riding.
                           Thanks

Offline sprucetiger

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2021 Tiger900GTP
Re: Wind noise
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2021, 07:29:57 PM »
Put a hand up while riding to see where the noise is coming from.  For me on my 800 it was from the hand guards, they were deflecting wind to the helmet above 50mph.  I added little extenders over them and noise gone.  But it will depend on you and your bike.

I had a bike a long time ago that was all wind coming up the fork tube channel that would disperse my calm bubble.

Offline UncleGary

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2021, 10:44:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by sprucetiger [+]
Put a hand up while riding to see where the noise is coming from.  For me on my 800 it was from the hand guards, they were deflecting wind to the helmet above 50mph.  I added little extenders over them and noise gone.  But it will depend on you and your bike.

I had a bike a long time ago that was all wind coming up the fork tube channel that would disperse my calm bubble.
The wind coming up in front of the gas tank is substantial on my 2012 Roadie. I have taped some material over this area as a test and the noise reduction with my Arai Profile helmet is very good. Unfortunately, I don't know a useful way to block this wind for normal riding.

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2021, 01:48:57 AM »
The trouble with a review saying that a helmet is very quiet is that they don't qualify it with "if you're the same height and build as me and ride the exact same bike wearing exactly the same clothing as me".
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 800 Roadie, 2013
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2021, 11:37:53 AM »
I guess finding out how to lower the noise on your head is a trial and error thing. I recently bought a HJC RPHA Max Evo, not the latest model I know but a big retail chain had it new in their own edition for a very good price. Test reviews say that that lid is fairly quiet and so I was using it with the Tiger. The only thing strange was that I had a whistling sound from the over head ventilation slot at speeds above 30 mph. Fully open no whistling closed there was this sound. I put my hand over the slot total silence there

So I thought hey something wrong with the ventilation slider but could not find anything. It works allright does not rattle etc.

To my surprise there is no sound whatsoever from the ventilation slot on my Bobber, absolutely nothing. So I guess for one reason or the other my windshield setup on the Tiger (OEM touring screen + Puig deflector) causes some wind flow wich hits the ventilation slot somehow. I'll try to change the deflector position and other options but I guess I might have to live it as the overall noise is lower than the other helmet I have.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 11:39:38 AM by Derchef1962 »
Life is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

Recent Topics