Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Shopping for 900, looking for input  (Read 1100 times)

Offline bigdog

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: KTM1290 S
Shopping for 900, looking for input
« on: April 18, 2021, 03:56:47 PM »
I'm considering replacing my KTM 1290 Adventure S model with Tiger, due to lighter weight and shorter seat. Getting a bit older and not as confident on the 1290 loaded as I could be.
Faster rider living in Colorado, love to travel and like to connect routes with dirt roads. No trail riding really though.

Seems the GT model is the one for me. I tried a bike with a 21" front and just miss the sporty nature of smaller wheel.
I have found both a GT and GT pro with discounts a mere 9 hours away.

The GT Pro is still significantly more since the other bike is a 2020 had heavily discounted.

What am I really getting with the Pro? Is the suspension better, or just electric preload on back? Never had a heated seat, and I usually install my own heated grip. And there is one ride mode missing? Any other real differences?
Retired Western Colorado Rider. Former 1050 Tiger and 675 Street Triple owner.

Offline Alan B

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 900
Re: Shopping for 900, looking for input
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 04:26:59 PM »
I bought the GT because many of the extras on the GT Pro were things I didn't want, including electronic rear suspension adjustment; heated seats; backlit handlebar controls; extra ride mode; tyre pressure monitoring; integration to mobile phone.

Heated grips are standard on the GT, and I added a mainstand and quick shifter as extras.

Depending on what you want and don't want you could save a significant amount of money, go to the Triumph web site configurator page to work it out.

Offline sprucetiger

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2021 Tiger900GTP
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 05:12:32 AM »
*Originally Posted by bigdog [+]
What am I really getting with the Pro? Is the suspension better, or just electric preload on back? Never had a heated seat, and I usually install my own heated grip. And there is one ride mode missing? Any other real differences?

I bought the GT Pro because it was the only one in stock anywhere near me.  But I wanted the GT.

Suspension is the same, just an electronic adjustment instead of manual (not a big deal).
Center stand and quick shift are included in Pro, just depends on what you want.  I love having a center stand, and I have actually grown accustomed to the quick shift.
Heated seat - meh.  I have used it, but don't really care.

Rider modes don't matter one bit.  Some marketing hype if you ask me.

Offline mcinlb

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2020 Tiger 900GT
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 08:53:53 AM »
Alan B - snap
exactly what I did.. for me also not worth paying the extra for stuff I don't want/need..

Offline fac191

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Super Tenere ES
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 01:55:46 PM »
Just to clarify then the electronic suspension on these bikes is just preload and not any damping ?

Offline Alan B

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 900
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 04:51:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by fac191 [+]
Just to clarify then the electronic suspension on these bikes is just preload and not any damping ?

The electronic adjustment on the GT Pro is for preload and damping. On the GT this is performed by a knob and a screw.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 04:54:35 PM by Alan B »

Offline Ripsi

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 900 GT Pro
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2021, 03:59:54 PM »
SpruceTiger sums it up quote succinctly.

I have the GTP, demo bike so quite a bit of discount.

Happy with :
Grips, Heated seats, quick shifter, Centre stand, Dash DIN socket and USB under seat

Could take or leave :
the rider modes, electronic adjustable suspension, TPMS (nice but unessential)

Dont like :
Connectivity issues (had to get a updated before it would even semi work) Triumph app is ok for tracking rides, but so many other apps perform just as well, navigation diabolical, music playing cannot adjust volume but can stop the music. I have reverted to Sena head set and a decent phone mount) and i cant get the friggin' rear 12V DIN socket working (dealer job).
Oh and not a lot of space under the seats, Phone under pillion and upgraded tool kit under rider seat is about it

Would I buy the GTP again, possibly not, GT plus add on's for what you really want i would say.

great bike overall (even connectivity aside) Have fun.
Foot : Pushbike: CG125 : A100 : Bandit : Hornet  :DL650GT : DL650 : T800 : VRF800X : Tiger 900 GT Pro

Offline uglybeard

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 900 GT Pro
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2021, 08:12:48 PM »
I'm pretty much with Ripsi, but I am surprised at how much I like the Quickshifter; and the heated seats are quite good.  Depends how important saving the cash is.  If you've got something else to spend it on, great; if not, the bike's as good to waste it on as anything else.

Regards,

Richard

Online AndrewNZ

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 900 GT Pro
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2021, 02:34:04 AM »
I have to agree with Uglybeard I had heated seats on the Explorer and said I would never use them but have on so many occasions they do keep you warm on the winter rides the same goes for the heated grips. The quick shifter works extremely well and now rarely use the clutch while on the move it is superb for up changes on bends. As I ride with a top box the lack of room under seat is not an issue and plug the phone in on the longer rides so no need to charge it on overnight stops. The Explorer had to be heaved up onto the centre stand whereas the 900 can be done just by standing on it as it's been set just right, for me anyway.
As I like a gadget it was always going to be the Pro for me and I'm pleased I did but at the end of the day we are all different and what matters is what you think.

Andrew
You are only jealous as the voices are seeking to me!

Offline bigdog

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: KTM1290 S
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2021, 02:43:25 AM »
Went to buy a 2020 GP but it was sold 29 minutes before I arrived. I went to Phoenix and picked up a used 21 GPP with 220 miles. Loving it so far!
Retired Western Colorado Rider. Former 1050 Tiger and 675 Street Triple owner.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch