Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Who has toured solo?  (Read 4823 times)

• Offline coddy   gb

• Tiger Master  ‐    642
    • Topic Author

Offline coddy

• Tiger Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger XRT
    Re: Who has toured solo?
    Reply #20 on: Apr 24, 2021, 11.44 am
    Apr 24, 2021, 11.44 am
    Thanks for the tips guys.

I'll remember to take my Kindle and make sure I have a book downloaded.

A walk to a pub for a couple of Ales and a meal sounds better than rustling up a basic meal on a camping stove.

Although I don't want to compose a blog I think making notes of where I've been and what I've seen and taking photo's is a good idea for own personal record of each trip.

• Offline blunderbust   gb

• Tiger Member  ‐    22

Offline blunderbust

• Tiger Member
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800 XRx
    Reply #21 on: Jan 07, 2022, 06.32 pm
    Jan 07, 2022, 06.32 pm
    I know this is an old post but as I am new to the forum I thought I would add my tuppence worth. Before Covid, I used to try and get over to Europe twice a year. I normally do a 14 day trip and then a shorter 7 days later on in the year. I have been doing this for a long time ever since my first posting to Germany in 1980 when I was in the forces. I don't mind if I am with friends or on my own, I will always find something to amuse my self when I am off the bike. I am the planning type and always book ahead so that I know where I am staying and which hotel I am in for each day of the trip. I try to leave the hotel in the morning around 0900 and ride for 4-5 hours on to my next location. I like to be in my hotel by at the latest 1500 so that I can freshen up and get out doing some sight seeing and get into the town centre to eat and enjoy a few beers. After a day like that it is good to be in bed by 22/2300.
    Unfortunately a lot of people don't like that type of touring or have different idea's as to what the tour is about and in some cases because of this it can spoil a good trip for both yourself and the others. I therefor always have my bookings done individually so that each member on the tour can head off and do there own thing. I have had many great trips with others but I have had a few real shockers. I have never hard a bad solo trip.
    Ride Safe.

• Offline coddy   gb

• Tiger Master  ‐    642
    • Topic Author

Offline coddy

• Tiger Master
    • Topic Author
    • Bike/Model: 2018 Tiger XRT
    Reply #22 on: Jan 07, 2022, 08.11 pm
    Jan 07, 2022, 08.11 pm
    Thanks Blunderbust.

I did three trips last year, one to Cornwall, one to Scotland and one to the Lakes and Yorkshire Dales. Covid put paid to striking up conversations in Pubs with strangers so that was a negative but on the flip side the ease of booking accomadation to my liking and budget, the fact I could ride in any direction at any speed I fancied and stop whenever and wherever I wished, far outweighed the stress and critical comments I got from others whenever I organised a trip.

To sum up I will not fully organise a trip again for others as I loved my solo trips but I also enjoy being invited on trips organised by others just because it's nice to spend the evening chewing the fat with friends.

• Offline PapaTom   gb

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    1130

Offline PapaTom

• Tiger Jedi
    • Bike/Model: Blue XRx (Gen2)
    Reply #23 on: Jan 07, 2022, 09.50 pm
    Jan 07, 2022, 09.50 pm
    You never know until you have tried it.
    Be positive and enjoy.

:031:

• Offline TIger Lad   gb

• Tiger Master  ‐    440

Offline TIger Lad

• Tiger Master
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 900 GT PRO
    Reply #24 on: Jan 10, 2022, 11.15 am
    Jan 10, 2022, 11.15 am
    I envy the people who have the nerve to go it alone.
    No matter how bad your day is your BIKE will always make you feel better.

• Offline mcinlb   scotland

• Tiger Master  ‐    568

Offline mcinlb

• Tiger Master
    • Bike/Model: 2020 Tiger 900GT
    Reply #25 on: Jan 10, 2022, 02.41 pm
    Jan 10, 2022, 02.41 pm
    I have toured in Europe alone and with a group, both have advantages / disadvantages.
    Alone you stay where you want, travel how you want and stop / eat when you want, but then you're "Billy no mates" at night when in hotels etc.. not that that particularly bothers me.
    With a group, on an organised tour, the leader takes all the when and where decisions out of your hands but that's usually ok as well, big plus is having folk to talk to at night and route planned  by the leader. I did once lead a tour when the organiser had to return home suddenly and it does take a lot of the fun out of it, always looking for coffee stops and making sure everyone was still with you, respect to those who do lead tours regularly.
    I've, in recent years, done one of each, but because of covid, only myself last year, and the roads were much quieter.
    Got a couple booked for this year, one with mates and one alone, looking forward to both.. 

• Offline Tenequip   us

• Tiger Member  ‐    24

Offline Tenequip

• Tiger Member
    • Bike/Model: Tiger 800 XCx
    Reply #26 on: Jan 13, 2022, 01.40 am
    Jan 13, 2022, 01.40 am
    Few years back, I took a ten day ride to Labrador from my home in Western Pa, USA by myself and had find time. The ride involved four ferry rides, two over nite, and 4000 miles round trip. During the day the bike & the adventure of the ride keep you plenty busy. When evening comes you need to find a place to stay and some where to eat. When you check into a hotel they can help with where to eat and the best nite stops. During all these stops, everyone wants to know where you going and where you are from. Just ask a few questions and you will be surprised how friendly & helpful the locals are. The overnight ferry rides are great for meeting all the bikers traveling, because the bikes all board together and are secured in the same area on the ferry. Guess who is in the ferry’s bar after dinner with a lot in common with you, all the bikers. I took my I-pad and a book and kept up with the world on the I-pad and spend little time reading. My advice is to just go and talk with the locals when you have chance and you enjoy trip.

• Offline jimmy60   us

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    3575

Offline jimmy60

• Tiger Jedi
    • Bike/Model: 22 T900,12 T800
    Reply #27 on: Feb 27, 2022, 10.10 pm
    Feb 27, 2022, 10.10 pm
    *Originally Posted by fac191 [+]
    I would just take Geoff with you. Longing for your own company you will.

Bahahahahahaha  :745:
    Good one mate!  :038:
    Time and tide wait for no man.

• Offline Derchef1962   de

• Tiger Jedi  ‐    1337

Offline Derchef1962

• Tiger Jedi
    • Bike/Model: 900 GT PRO 2021
    Reply #28 on: Feb 28, 2022, 06.16 pm
    Feb 28, 2022, 06.16 pm
    *Originally Posted by jimmy60 [+]
    Bahahahahahaha  :745:
    Good one mate!  :038:

That is really mean... You can put up with a lot of things, even touring Wales with two Americans and an English. You may end up at Triumph as one of the Americans found it suitable to drop his rental bike, but then you may find a discounted T-shirt at that dealer.
    You have to see the positive side of life, in that case said T-shirt.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine or to ride bad bikes.

winded-staunch