Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Sticking rear brake  (Read 819 times)

Offline ScenicRoute

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
Sticking rear brake
« on: April 23, 2021, 05:33:05 PM »
I have a small problem with my 2016 800 XRx. The 14mm bolt holding the rear caliper seems to be warped somehow. If I screw it in fully the caliper sticks, but if I just screw it in a couple of turns everything works perfectly except that the bolt will unscrew itself and leave my bike for greener pastures somewhere else.

What could have gone wrong? The problem for me is that the bike is new to me, and I don't really know the history of it. My guess would be that someone have got the threads wrong and forced it in slightly crooked since the bolt itself looks straight. But do anyone have another idea? I'm willing to try everything...  :001:
New to Triumph.
Current bikes: Tiger 800 XRx, Honda ST1100, Honda VF1000F
Past bikes: YZ80, RG125, Z750GT, VFR800VTEC

Offline PapaTom

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Blue XRx (Gen2)
Re: Sticking rear brake
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 06:09:39 PM »
Easy option to check the bolt is to try another bolt of the same size.

Offline ScenicRoute

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2021, 06:33:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by PapaTom [+]
Easy option to check the bolt is to try another bolt of the same size.
Not that easy, since it is a sliding pin bolt. I tried the bolt I had to the rear caliper of my other bike (with a Nissin caliper) but that was too long (same size otherwise).

Edit: And I don't have any friends, at least not with Tigers...  :161:
New to Triumph.

Offline ScenicRoute

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2021, 06:56:34 PM »
Hmm.. Looking at the rear wheel it seems that the rear axle spacer on the right side (on the brake side) don't have a flange, or rather the flange ends right at the end of the spacer which seems wrong according to the service manual. Perhaps I found the problem? Could placing the rear axle spacers on opposite sides produce a sticking caliper? Seems silly, since I bought the bike from a (former) dealer and they serviced the bike prior to me buying it...
New to Triumph.

Offline Georgeinabz

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800xr
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2021, 06:57:52 PM »
Only 12 for the bolts and sliders  kit , world of triumph
Look at parts diagram
https://www.worldoftriumph.com/collections/100069410-0-2?type=tiger-800-xr-from-vin-674842-to-855531

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2021, 11:32:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by ScenicRoute [+]
Hmm.. Looking at the rear wheel it seems that the rear axle spacer on the right side (on the brake side) don't have a flange, or rather the flange ends right at the end of the spacer which seems wrong according to the service manual. Perhaps I found the problem? Could placing the rear axle spacers on opposite sides produce a sticking caliper? Seems silly, since I bought the bike from a (former) dealer and they serviced the bike prior to me buying it...

It would probably offset the wheel from centre which would push the disc against the caliper. There's an exploded view at https://fowlersparts.co.uk/parts/5596766/tiger-800-xrx-from-vin-674842/rear-wheel-final-drive - probably worth dropping the wheel out and checking the spacers.
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Offline ScenicRoute

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2021, 07:06:43 AM »
Just to get this thread some closure. The spacers were correct, the picture in the service manual did not correspond correctly with reality. The fault seems to be that the M12 slider bolt is cross-threaded, which locks the whole caliper. Now to find a M12x1.25 mm thread tap, to try and fix it. Otherwise I'll probably have to aquire a new caliper...  :028:

Edit: I would dearly like to meet the guy who thought it was good idea to force the whole bolt in cross-threaded, and shake his hand. Job well done!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 07:08:45 AM by ScenicRoute »
New to Triumph.

Offline ScenicRoute

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2021, 07:19:32 AM »
There were only two symptoms of this fault. The non-working caliper ofcourse, and then that the head of the bolt didn't align properly with the surface mating area of the caliper. There were no clues to screw in and out the bolt, it went really smooth in both directions even if it were not finger force smooth. Just as a warning to others. I would guess that the first time screwing in that bolt cross-threaded would have needed some force though...

Moral of the story - be gentle and take your time aligning everything before getting the big tools to torque the bolts.
New to Triumph.

Offline chico

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2021, 01:20:06 PM »
Perhaps the answer is a Wire Thread Insert. Here is a how to, if you haven't experienced this marvelous method of thread repair.

/>
Chico

Offline ScenicRoute

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2021, 06:43:25 PM »
Thread inserts could perhaps work, but since the margins are so small I'm not sure if they really are viable for this particular thread. At least with me doing the work...  :007:

I managed to borrow a thread tap, and after two tries (the first made the bolt tilt the other way instead with similar results) I finally got the bolt straight. I'm not sure how much abuse the caliper will take with the thread material pushed this and that way so I have ordered a newish used caliper and new bolts. But since Brexit it will take ages for me to receive the new stuff, and now atleast I'm back on the road/gravel again while I wait. The rubber boot for the glide bolt was also wrecked, so I ordered new one from Honda for speedy delivery.  :001:  Nissin caliper rubber boots are the same even to my ancient VF1000F. But the bolt itself is of different length for different applications it seems (both my Honda bolts where of different length, but same thread and diameter as the Triumph one (and each other)).
New to Triumph.

Recent Topics