Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Front Auxiliary Socket Earth (2011 Roadie)  (Read 365 times)

Offline Not_Found

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2011 Roadie
Front Auxiliary Socket Earth (2011 Roadie)
« on: April 24, 2021, 11:52:16 PM »
Hi - I have a weird problem, hoping there's some previous experience to draw upon.

I normally trickle charge my 2011 Roadie through the front aux socket, next to ignition key.  Recently noticed that the charger wasn't actually connecting when plugged in.  After doing some checks I've established that the centre pos/live terminal is fine, and the problem is actually that the outer alloy sleeve of the socket doesn't have continuity to neg/earth any more. 

Maybe there's a mechanical break inside the socket, some corrosion, or a loose/fractured wire or something.  Access to the back of the aux socket requires stripping plastics and removing the tank, so if anyone has any diagnostic wisdom or tricks I would be grateful for them.  I'm wondering if it might be possible to get sight access from underneath with a small mirror or USB endoscope, for example. 

Offline pme

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: xrx lrh 2018
Re: Front Auxiliary Socket Earth (2011 Roadie)
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 09:00:32 AM »
Underneath are two standard spade push ons (on my 2018 xrx) its a pig to get at, taking them off is easy putting back is really hard without major disssasembly.
The outer is alloy and the joint between the spade blade and the body does corrode (differential metal corrosion, like on a boat or landrover), I gave up on it in the end and wired a carcharger into the loom with a fuse and had the usb connector at the handlebar. Advantage is you make it a switched feed.
The picture shows the box with all the interconnections, fuse board, usb converter module and load shedding relay. It fits exactly where the cage for the battery strap was. Couple of rubber feet to space it off the battery, plenty of room for more bits if necessary

Also DRZ400sm for forest tracks, previous bikes:- Honda SS50, BSA 250SS80, Yamaha RD125, Yamaha TY250, Honda CBR600, Honda Africa Twin XRV750, Kawasaki KMX200, Kawasaki KDX200, Kawasaki KLX250

Offline Not_Found

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2011 Roadie
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 12:05:18 PM »
Thanks PME, that's really helpful.   

After posting last night I couldn't resist a bit of midnight diagnostics, and used a USB endoscope to view from underneath.  Exactly as you say, the black/neg/earth connector is massively furred with galvanic corrosion. I suspect that spraying with switch cleaner and wiggling the spade connector would scratch a usable temporary re-connection, but there's no way to get in.

I think I'll abandon the aux socket for now, and fit a spare CTEK fly lead direct to the battery.  Maybe next time I have to remove the tank I'll try to sort the aux socket, but I don't need it for anything except charging.  I have a separate USB supply to the bars anyway. 

Kudos on your under-seat connection box, it looks very solid and professional!

Online chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2021, 12:31:52 PM »
Coincidence, I had the same approach for adding some waterproof electronics above the battery.
In my case I intercept and decode the CAN bus and control Mode selection functions and some lighting mods.
Very convenient location.

Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline pme

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: xrx lrh 2018
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2021, 01:18:07 PM »
Chuck
what do you use to decode the bus?
plenty of room in the box for more gadgets
thanks
chris
Also DRZ400sm for forest tracks, previous bikes:- Honda SS50, BSA 250SS80, Yamaha RD125, Yamaha TY250, Honda CBR600, Honda Africa Twin XRV750, Kawasaki KMX200, Kawasaki KDX200, Kawasaki KLX250

Online chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2021, 01:57:10 AM »
I developed my own design and electronics.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Recent Topics

winded-staunch