Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2015 800 XCx... exhaust stud oil leak???  (Read 835 times)

Offline White Lightning

• Tiger Master
  • Personal text? Hmmm... later something witty.
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCx
2015 800 XCx... exhaust stud oil leak???
« on: April 25, 2021, 11:02:33 PM »
Not joking...

So I bought my 2015 XCx brand new.  It has been my daily rider for all but winter.

Well, when it was a year and a half old, I was smelling oil burning.  There was oil getting on the left exhaust.  Looked to be valve cover, so took it in under warranty.  Well, dealership is quite the trip since no triumph dealership in my city.  I get there, and they didn't book it in for the valve service, they booked it in for general service... no gasket... so they said I had a valve cover leak... again... so this was end of year, and cause winter hit, had to wait til next year to get it replaced...  Next year comes, it is replaced, and now when I get home... it is leaking even worse???

They put the gasket on wrong, when installing it, they curled it into the valley so it was pouring oil from the cover.  Well, at this point, I am angry and can replace this gasket myself and do it.  Seems fine.  But then I start smelling oil leaking again.  This is now 2018, so I live with it because by mileage to dealership, I will be needing to do valve inspection over winter.  Queue 2019.  Still leaking oil???  This is third new gasket installed and I even RTVed it in case was an imperfection or something causing it.

2020.... well, I didn't ride a whole lot for reason outside of when I was going to work.  Only put on a couple thousand KM if that.

Queue this year.  I am fed up because this leak is worst it has ever been.  Oil getting on me and down side of bike plus it stinks...  So I strip all the plastics off, get everything but the rad out of the way so I can see it and still run it.  Use a whole can of brake clean on the area and hose it down to try and figure out where it is coming from.  UV dye the oil and run it around a bit, idle etc to try and find the exact source.

:087: It is the exhaust stud.  :087:

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
Re: 2015 800 XCx... exhaust stud oil leak???
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 01:54:29 AM »
I had a similar elusive oil lead from the head on my 2018XCX.
Oil was coming out the weep hole above the exhaust flange. All gaskets/ rocker cover were replaced with no fix.
Long story short, it turned into a warranty fix to replace the entire head.
Reason- the OEM head was a "porous casting" causing small oil leak from inside out to the wall of the head near rhe spark plug passage.
This happened just as the covid lockdown hit at which time the dealer workshop was closed and world-wide parts were not available. There's an even longer story trying to get the warranty done in lockdown, but end result, I'm back on the road with a new head assembly.

Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline White Lightning

• Tiger Master
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 02:42:45 AM »
Yeah, I am certain it is porosity somewhere.

At this point though, warranty replacement won't happen.  That would be a fight not worth it.  What I will more likely do is give it a "filling".  I know welders so will give it a grind and a spot weld, or just use JB weld if I can find where it is.

The oil from the stud was actually oil weeping out.  I pulled the stud out and zero signs of oil back in the threads, it was all at the front ahead of the threadlock.  So I suspect that the oil had just build up into the stud and filled it.  The cleaning I did of the engine before hand now was just having it weep out.

The tough part is that the engine oil I use seems like it already has fluorescent properties of the same color as the dye added.

I am going to let it sit overnight here, and then pull the radiator off tomorrow to see what I can find if I cannot find any new oil runs now that I have cleaned it all.  Going to let it sit and hope it creeps out.

If it is the head and I cannot repair it?  Then I am just going to scrap the bike and part it out, then get a Honda.  Cause not going to be spending that much cash for a new head, won't get much money selling it with that leak, so will just part it out.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 02:45:55 AM by White Lightning »

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 09:09:06 AM »
It probably is your best option to part it out when you consider your limited options. A second-hand head could be a possibility but you don't know what other problems it might have, and it's a hassle because you have to drop the engine out of the frame to get the head off. I don't know about your neck of the woods, but here in Oz you can't get a road-worthy certificate to sell a bike if there is any oil leak. And with 5 years on it the re-sale value wouldn't be that great anyway. Or keep using it until something better comes along.
I persisted with the dealer and finally got the warranty fix right before the expiry.

Offline White Lightning

• Tiger Master
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 02:41:25 PM »
It it does come to that, will never look triumphs again.  Parting out a 2015 bike while my 82 is still going?  What junk.

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2021, 10:08:04 PM »
Or maybe one more try at the dealership because the 'fix' they did at 1 1/2 yr under warranty was not right. Given the history you have had with them, that is, they have still not identified or fixed the warranty problem, plus the example of my similar issue with a porous head fixed by Triumph, you could put the hard 'legal' word on them. It is clearly a 'latent defect' and you may have recourse to consumer rights. I would also get the in-country Triumph rep involved.

Offline White Lightning

• Tiger Master
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021, 05:41:03 AM »
Update:  Looks like thermal stress fracture.

I suspect it is propagating because it has gone from originally just being a minor annoyance I could smell to being bad enough to cause oil drops down length of bike.

I will be fluxing once I pick some up to see the extent of the cracking.

Offline koober

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 800xrx
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2021, 10:47:15 AM »
*Originally Posted by White Lightning [+]
I use seems like it already has fluorescent properties of the same color as the dye added.
What dye did you add?

Offline White Lightning

• Tiger Master
Re: 2015 800 XCx... exhaust stud oil leak??? (Thermal stress fracture)
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2021, 02:36:47 PM »
Cannot remember the make off top of my head.  It is a reddish dye, so it has a yellow glow.  But the oil that leaked out was same color so I really had to keep cleaning to remove residual spots of the old oil.  That is what was in the top picture, that was oil that had seeped into the stud and begun to seep back out.  It ks stuff specific for this application for tracking down and pinpointing oil leaks.  But it was made difficult because of the original oil also fluorescing.

The cracking was verified though by scrubbing that spot right clean. I then applied a couple PSI of air pressure to the crank case via a rubber stopper and air needle in the oil fill cap.  The glowy area magically appearing all on its own in multiple spots and in a line like that.

Because of how aluminium stress fractures propagate, it most certainly is much worse than what I could see like this.  I will need to Magnaflux it to determine the full extent of the issue.  I did send contact to triumph for a hail mary if they will assist, but I wont hold my breath.  Magnaflux isnt cheap either.  I need to figure out what is other side of that crack though.  I know lifter valley is near. 

If crack is oil coming from lifter bore?  Then it will not be possible to fix it.  So need to figure out, ideally without having to pull head, if there is a non machined oil passage feeding the leak.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 02:42:45 PM by White Lightning »

Offline White Lightning

• Tiger Master
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2021, 10:42:13 PM »
Not much of an update.  Got ahold of Triumph for Canada and said would need to have dealer contact UK about it.  So talked to them, but cause I cut relations with dealership, not going to hold my breath.

Decided to actually look at bike and think where it is cracked into.  Almost certain is a valve cam follower pocket based on outer casting shape oil continuing to seep out since cleaning after previous photo supporting it too.

Not going to hold my breath, and most likely going to end up selling it as a running non runner, then walk on over to Honda and downgrade to an NC750.  Will be one memetastic kijiji article I write up if I do...

Recent Topics

winded-staunch