Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Best place to wire in GPS to switched power 2014 Tiger 800xc abs  (Read 410 times)

Offline natesilas

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 2014 Tiger 800xc
2014 Tiger 800xc abs - I recently got myself a Garmin ZumoXT and looking to wire the mount up for switched power.  I'd prefer not to wire it directly to the battery.  I've already got my oxford heated grips, and a plug for my heated vest both wired directly to the battery.  I've read through the Hanes shop manual, and asked around in a few groups, and most people are twisting their gps positive wire into their tail light lead or headlight lead.

Is there a dedicated switched accessory power source that I can use for the positive lead? And is there a corresponding spot to wire in the negative lead?  I'd like to avoid messing with the wiring to the lights, if possible.

Thanks in advance!
-Nate Silas

Offline GeoffS

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: XC - Green/Black
Re: Best place to wire in GPS to switched power 2014 Tiger 800xc abs
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 06:12:52 PM »
A simple way to tidy up your wiring is to use a fuse box.
Connect the battery +ve to the common terminal, then take your accessory feeds from the outputs; do the same with the -ve from the battery and away you go.
You can take one the feeds from the fuse box to a relay which is controlled from the rear light and youve got a switched power source.
Alternatively, leave your permanent battery supplies as they are, and just take the switched supply from the rear light straight to your GPS.
There are lots of ways to do it, decide which is best for you and go for it.
Cheers
Geoff
Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
Some poems rhyme,
But this one doesnt.

Online healdem

• ....has a fluffy tube
  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 07:17:43 PM »
For me Stevie P is on the money, fit a fusebox that can supply whatever power you need. Examples can be from Eastern Beaver amingst the uysusla suspects.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBD_en-GBGB691GB691&q=motorcycle+fuse+box

However some people have succesfully powered a GPS from the 'sidelight' supply.

Offline GeoffS

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: XC - Green/Black
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 07:48:12 PM »
Matt........, Stevie P..........., errrrrrrrrr!
Ill have a pint of what youve just had.
Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
Some poems rhyme,
But this one doesnt.

Online Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte' ......... By Skill and by Fighting
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 08:06:02 PM »
 :008: ... just because you think we're out to get you ....  :084: maybe we are. :492:

On the other hand as Matt dropped my name in it .... here's my Fuzebox fitment link. :028:

https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,27814.0.html
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline crispey

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: tiger 800 thrux
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2021, 04:50:32 PM »
I used a piggyback spade connector to the pos on the horn on my 2011 roadie, dont put the neg to the horn but to the horn mounting bolt. Its been like that for 5 years now and still works. simple
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 04:54:41 PM by crispey »

Offline natesilas

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2021, 06:54:49 PM »
Incredibly helpful!  Thanks to all who replied.  Looking forward to getting this hooked up.  I think I will forgo the fuzebox and just tap into the tail light positive.  I will first confirm what I think I read in the garmin literature, which is that there's no need to have a fuse in line for this unit... I've got just about everything I need on the bike for now.  If I add more powered devices later I will definitely add a fuzebox.  Seems very handy, but I'm eager to get this all hooked up and trying not to spend even another dollar on it at this point!!  Gotta have some gas money after all!
-Nate Silas

Online 2wheelstony

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2016 800 XRT
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2021, 07:40:28 PM »
I've added a fusebox (4 fuses) under the seat,  switched by a relay from the horn live, so it is only live when the ignition is switched on.  Saves draining the battery.

I run my Sat Nav / extra USB charge points / Innovv Dual cam set up from the fuse box.

Excuse the wiring mess as it still needs to be tidied up...

Offline Shergar

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2021, 07:59:38 PM »
I used a Fuzeblock which has the relay built in and on which you can choose from permanent live or switched live outputs, permanent live for the scottoiler etc. Also using the live from the horn - however I did purchase one of these which I decided not to use and is now sat in the garage on a shelf unopened - its smart and can detect when the engine is running if you don't want to run the horn live feed

https://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/tb/

Only reason I didn't use it was that I wanted some permanent and some switched feeds

Offline natesilas

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2021, 08:08:06 PM »
Upon further reflection - I do think maybe it is best to go with a fuse box, as I suspect that a short in an accessory could cause damage to the bike, perhaps even fouling the main computer.  Is that a reasonable concern? 

With my oxford heated grips, the heated vest, and the stock power outlet, all wired straight to the battery, I think maybe I'm asking for trouble adding yet another circuit to the mix.  I like the idea of making all of the above, including the stock power outlet, switched.  I'd love the peace of mind knowing when I turn the bike off I'm not going to drain the battery.

Incidentally I was riding the other day and noticed that one of the bolts for my pannier rack was missing, so I'll be pulling the top case rack off to replace this bolt anyhow, so might as well add the fuse box while I'm at it.  I am slightly hesitant to take the top case rack off after the struggle of getting it installed, but I don't see a way to get the pannier rack bolt back in place without opening up the whole area. 

Any advice on all of the above is more than welcome.  I'm really appreciating all you Tiger Masters and Jedis helping me with this!
-Nate Silas

Recent Topics

winded-staunch