Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fuel Gauge stopped working properly  (Read 614 times)

Offline Flagboy

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 2016 XRT
Fuel Gauge stopped working properly
« on: April 26, 2021, 06:01:53 PM »
28,000 miles on my 2016 XTX.  This weekend my fuel gauge started acting up.  The bars no longer reflect the actual amount of fuel and the low fuel light can come on with a nearly full tank.  I've been searching and googling but I can't find wording to narrow the responses to my particular problem.  No recent work on the bike that might explain the situation.

Any help is appreciated.

Offline posty

• Tiger Member
Re: Fuel Gauge stopped working properly
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 06:03:55 PM »
Hmmm - I would lift up the tank and check electrical connections - probably disconnect check for corrosion, spray some wd40 or similar in there and reconnect

Offline Flagboy

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 09:15:42 PM »
XRT not XTX. :430:

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 01:19:22 PM »
Filthy gunged up ABS rings?
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2021, 08:47:00 AM »
Start as suggested with checking the fuel tank electrical connectors for corrosion. There are in the manual tests for the fuel gauge sender but as a start with a dvm set to ohms and connected across the fuel sender manipulate the float arm from end to end of it's arc of movement. If working correctly you will see a change in the resistance value on the dvm.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Offline sezian

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2021, 11:02:47 AM »
I had a problem with mine a few years ago when touring. We were filling up approx every 100 miles and the fuel gauge when filled up would not go to the top of the scale, and would then read deceptively low when I knew there was significantly more fuel in the tank After speaking with Triumph they advised to run the bike from full to empty (well not quite empty obviously) a couple of times, and sure enough the system seemed to recalibrate itself.

For whatever reason the bike seems to have some built in software that recalibrates the fuel gauge if the bike isn't run normally from full to reserve light. If you haven't been doing this it might be worth a try  :028: :028:

Offline Flagboy

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2021, 09:54:42 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Offline chico

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2021, 01:33:52 AM »
You can also do the 12 minute tune. Without touching the throttle with a cold engine, turn it on and let it idle till the fan goes on. Then wait 12 minutes before shutting her down. Let the bike cool down, preferably overnight. See if that works.

Chico

Online K1W1

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2021, 03:08:56 AM »
*Originally Posted by sezian [+]
I had a problem with mine a few years ago when touring. We were filling up approx every 100 miles and the fuel gauge when filled up would not go to the top of the scale, and would then read deceptively low

I have had something like this on both Tigers I have owned. I fill to the same level every time (the bar across the filler neck), the bike is always on the side stand and service station forecourts are pretty close to level but sometimes the gauge shows that as being full and other times it shows as one bar below full. It seems completely random and not related to how much fuel was put into the tank.

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2021, 09:16:51 AM »
*Originally Posted by chico [+]
You can also do the 12 minute tune. Without touching the throttle with a cold engine, turn it on and let it idle till the fan goes on. Then wait 12 minutes before shutting her down. Let the bike cool down, preferably overnight. See if that works.

Chico

Worth a try I suppose but the 12 minute thing is for resetting fuelling trim adaptions. Not aware it resets anything else.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Recent Topics

winded-staunch