Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Some questions re lowered bikes  (Read 1871 times)

Offline oldsteve

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
Some questions re lowered bikes
« on: August 10, 2011, 11:57:00 AM »
Hi, I know there have been a number of threads on this topic but I don't recall seeing some of my questions answered, so here goes.

If a 25mm lowering kit is used how much do people drop the forks through the yokes and when does this cause problems with clearance?

With this set up what is the actual lowering of the seat height?

What effect does it have on handling as presumably it will reduce wheelbase and alter suspension geometry?

Has anyone advised their insurer of the mod and what have they said?

How easy is it to fit the lowering links once the rear suspension is disconnected?
Do they come with instructions?

Thanks.

Offline skyrider

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 white
Re: Some questions re lowered bikes
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 05:33:05 PM »
I have dropped the forks 12mm together with some 25mm lowering links.
Handling is fine. No falling into turns at low speed or running wide at higher speed.
And nothing scraping, although the tire edges show it has been leaned over allright.
Only downside; a bit more heavy to get on centerstand.
Note: rear spring pre-load is set at 18 clicks in, which is about half of the range of 37 clicks
TOURATECH handguards, heated grips, CNC brake/clutch levers, GIVI screen, center stand, front fender extender, crashbars, H&B tankguard, Remus Hexacone, GIVI pannier/topcase racks, 2 TREKKER 33ltr panniers, 46 ltr TREKKER topbox, GIVI tanklock 489 tankbag, SW Motech bar risers, Touratech lockable ZUMO mount on SW Motech bar bracket, Mick's lowering links, blaster horn, Hella Micro DE lights, Alu skidplate, Hyperpro suspension, radiator guard, Dunlop Trailmax TR91's

Offline KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 05:36:36 PM »
On the 1050 Tiger I used 25mm links, and dropped the front 20mm.  Never thought to tell insurers!!  I've rear preload at 26 clicks but am going to experiment.
Stupid is as stupid does.
IRL via GB & CL

Offline Seniorharold

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Yellow 800 road
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 05:43:05 PM »
And please remember that with a lowered bike the swinging arm has now moved up a little in it's arc and in so doing is on it's way to reaching the "tightest chain spot". The chain slack has to be adjusted accordingly. i.e less than the standard setting. You can test this when the shock is disconnected. With the wheel on the floor, feel the slack and gradually lift the wheel while continuing to test slack. You reach the tightest point and then it starts to go slack again with further lifting.

Offline oldsteve

• Tiger Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 06:48:38 PM »
Thanks for these replies. I have now ordered some links so will be going ahead as soon as they arrive.

Offline oldsteve

• Tiger Member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 06:14:09 PM »
I have fitted 25mm lowering links and am pleased with the result - about a 20mm reduction in seat height I'd say.  It is less than 25mm as I cannot raise the forks another 25mm as they would hit the handlebars so have gone for about 15mm which means the bike must be a little more "nose up" but its not noticeable riding.

Offline mick

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800xc
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 11:02:40 PM »
 :152:

Recent Topics