Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger 900 GT Pro - test ride  (Read 507 times)

Offline V2T

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XCa
Tiger 900 GT Pro - test ride
« on: April 30, 2021, 02:46:03 PM »
I currently own a 2018 Tiger 800 XCA. I enjoy the bike and I am very satisfied with the reliability as well as quality of the bike. It pays to buy a model in its third iteration - it feels well sorted. My previous bike was a KTM 1290 SuperDuke R, a very capable and very different bike, but there were many quality issues.

When I bought the XCA I had in mind doing some of the TET, particularly around the French Maritime Alps and Liguria in Italy. The reality is that a big adventure bike is not the bike I will use for that kind of riding. I still want to do the routes but I'll use a CRF300 or similar for that. So I regret buying the XCA. I don't need the 21" front wheel and the handling is compromised - it's not bad, it just isn't brilliant.

I thought I was going to replace the Tiger with a sports tourer and I had the BMW R1250RS in mind. I want to use it for both two-up touring, weekend riding and also for my commute into London. The shaft drive appeals.

But today I had my Tiger in for work at the dealer and took a 900 GT Pro for a ride. I wasn't expecting to like it. I wasn't expecting to be convinced by the changes to the engine and I though it would feel just like my 800. I was wrong. I love the engine, it really does remind me of a V-twin. The handling feels better, easier and more sorted. It still doesn't turn in very quickly, but better than the XCA. The 19" wheel with wider rubber is more confidence inspiring. The bike felt much lower. I am 5'8" and comfortably on flat feet with knees bent. It felt much more like a road bike - which of course it is.

It felt not only lower but also narrower, easier to filter on. Or is this my imagination? If there are any owners of a GT Pro I would appreciate some measurements please such as width of handlebars, width of handlebar with hand guards, height and width of mirrors? This would be helpful - I could not get the two bike side by side for a comparison but the GT Pro felt smaller.

Offline hawkbox

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2021 900 GT Pro
Re: Tiger 900 GT Pro - test ride
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2021, 06:44:25 PM »
I put 80k km on my 2012 Tiger and I honestly like this new one a lot.  The old bike feels more "comfortable" but I haven't broke the new one in yet.  I'll wander out to the garage with a tape measure and take some notes.

Online AndrewNZ

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 900 GT Pro
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2021, 10:36:39 PM »
I came off a 1200 Explorer to the GT Pro and initially wondered what I had done but I soon changed my mind especially after putting 2000 kms on it in the first week.
I find the engine responsive and torquey and the growl on overrun enjoyable, the quick shifter which I said I would never need is used all the time, the lights are great and using the fogs as riding lights you should be seen for miles, the TFT is very good not perfect but very good and I prefer the dark mode, my Explorer would get knocked off cruise control regularly but its not happened once with the 900. I'm not one for gravel roads of which there are plenty out here but I have been quite enjoying them on this bike I assume due to the loss of 60 kg and the lower C of G.
It's not faultless but what bike is but I am really enjoying it.
As I have said in another thread the Bluetooth link is a bit random but I am chatting with Triumph NZ and hope some progress can be made.
I should add that I had ridden the 800 and it was OK but it was no 900 GT Pro.
You are only jealous as the voices are seeking to me!

Offline V2T

• Tiger Member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2021, 08:39:13 AM »
Thanks both. Ill have to make a decision...

Offline Silvergreen

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2021, 12:05:52 PM »
My GT Pro will be delivered next week sometime, Thursday/Friday I think. I am near Ashford in Kent so if you want to do a comparison I am sure we can work something out.

Offline V2T

• Tiger Member
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2021, 12:46:18 PM »
Thanks Silvergreen. Im near Sevenoaks and often go for a ride round Romney Marsh/Rye so easy to meet up.

Offline uglybeard

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 900 GT Pro
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2021, 03:40:31 PM »
I echo what AndrewNZ said.  I too came from a 1200 Explorer.  The GT Pro is a lot more manageable and the engine is a delight.  If it is much slower than the 1200 it doesn't really feel it.  Most fun comes between 20 and 80 and it covers that spread really well.  I didn't see the need for a quickshifter, but it is good and I use it all the time.

Regards,

Richard

Offline Silvergreen

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2021, 03:55:47 PM »
No problem V2T

I am in Biddenden. If you are coming out this way drop me a pm and we can meet here

Recent Topics

winded-staunch