Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New to the ADV World!  (Read 349 times)

Offline Half-Click-Up

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2014 Tiger 800A
New to the ADV World!
« on: April 30, 2021, 04:44:47 PM »
Greetings from the Republic of Texas!

I recently purchased a 2014 Tiger 800A with 4,600 original miles. It is absolutely mint, as you can see from the pics below. This is my first ADV bike, and my purchase was inspired by a recent road trip here in Texas. Seven of us completed a 1,300 mile journey to Big Bend National Park at the Mexico border. It consisted of roughly 39 hours of seat time over a four day span. It was on this trip that I watched other riders experience total comfort on various generations of the BMW GS. It was then that I got the ADV bike fever, as I was on my 2009 Yamaha FZ6R sport bike.

For six years, I've been commuting daily on my FZ6R, and have put over 64,000 miles on her. I run a YouTube channel called Half-Click Up, where I produce motovlogs, as well as maintenance tutorials for the FZ6R. I will be creating a new mods & maintenance series for the Tiger 800.

This particular 2014 only came outfitted with the Triumph top box and TPMS.

So far, I've ordered:
The matching Triumph panniers
Top box backrest kit
SW-Motech centerstand
Tank pad protector
High-mount mudguard "beak" in Sapphire Blue (ordered from the UK)
Oil & air filters and a jug of Motul 7100T
DealerTool software kit

Future plans:
Triumph radiator guard, Outback-Motortek crash bars and skid plate, and perhaps some windscreen options.

So far I've been highly impressed by the comfort of this bike. Coming from the Yamaha, the seating position is totally foreign to me, yet feels so natural. I do enjoy the torque of the triple, and most definitely the unique sound. I don't have major off-road plans for the bike, other than taking my oldest son on trails for camping trips and such.

I've downloaded the factory service manual, and am excited that the valvetrain is virtually identical to the Yamaha in terms of design, etc. because I do all my own maintenance and do not plan on paying a Triumph dealership thousands for what I can do myself for hundreds. With that being said, you'll also see in my list of orders that I've picked up the DealerTool kit. It is absolutely crazy to me that a service center is required to turn off an illuminated wrench icon.

Fun fact: my Yamaha and Triumph share the EXACT same oil filter (by part numbers); what are the odds of THAT?!

Anyways, I look forward to learning from you guys, and I'm happy to be a new Triumph owner!

2014 Triumph Tiger 800A
2009 Yamaha FZ6R
Texas, USA
youtube.com/halfclickup

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte' ......... By Skill and by Fighting
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
Re: New to the ADV World!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2021, 06:49:13 PM »
Hi and :401:

You didn't really need to buy Dealertool, we have a dedicated forum member here (T800XC) who produced the Tigertool software for free to download a long time ago, you just buy a suitable lead, which does the same thing. I doubt there is anything about the bike you will find that isn't already covered here with the tiger 800 having been around since 2011. :028:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Half-Click-Up

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2021, 07:01:55 PM »
Hey Stevie!

Thanks for the welcome, and I maaayyyyy have stretched the truth on the DealerTool, because it's technically still in the shopping cart.
Does the TigerTool allow for spanner icon clearing, too?
2014 Triumph Tiger 800A
2009 Yamaha FZ6R
Texas, USA
youtube.com/halfclickup

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte' ......... By Skill and by Fighting
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2021, 07:46:29 PM »
Yes, reset your spanner and set your own service mileage parameters, check and clear fault codes, check/balance throttle bodies, bleed ABS and more.  :028:

https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,28260.0.html
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 07:56:53 PM by Stevie.P »
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Half-Click-Up

• Tiger Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 08:47:34 PM »
Fantastic, I do believe this will be the route I take, then!  :046:
2014 Triumph Tiger 800A
2009 Yamaha FZ6R
Texas, USA
youtube.com/halfclickup

Online PapaTom

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Blue XRx (Gen2)
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2021, 10:13:35 PM »
Hi and welcome to the forum.
Enjoy the new bike.

:031:

Offline Half-Click-Up

• Tiger Member
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2021, 10:15:10 PM »
Thanks PapaTom!  :001:
2014 Triumph Tiger 800A
2009 Yamaha FZ6R
Texas, USA
youtube.com/halfclickup

Offline Whoa

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: XRX
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2021, 07:38:59 AM »
Hello and welcome, enjoy
Whoa

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2021, 09:19:37 AM »
First off - welcome. I've got both an 800 XCA and an FZ6 that I inherited but the 800 is the one I definitely enjoy riding. However, the 800 is higher maintenance and the valve clearance check for the FZ6 at 26k miles is a lot more attractive than the 12k miles required for the Triumph?
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline TIger Lad

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 900 GT PRO
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2021, 11:35:41 AM »
Hi  :401: to the family from the uk. its a great touring bike you wont be disappointed.  :031:
No matter how bad your day is your BIKE will always make you feel better.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch