Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Triumph Datatool S4 alarm query on 2016 Tiger XRX  (Read 653 times)

Offline bidders

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger XRX
Triumph Datatool S4 alarm query on 2016 Tiger XRX
« on: May 06, 2021, 12:27:50 PM »
Hi,

Does anyone know which Triumph Datatool S4 plug and play alarm units can be fitted to a 2016 Tiger XRX as a replacement for the one fitted to the bike as the one fitted when new has packed up.
I notice there are units available for the Trophy and 675, are they compatible?

Thanks, Ian

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte' ......... By Skill and by Fighting
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
Re: Triumph Datatool S4 alarm query on 2016 Tiger XRX
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 12:52:44 PM »
All the models of Datatool alarms look to have the same body .... I have a suspicion the only difference with kit part #'s is the enclosed fitting kit bracket tailored to the specific model of bike and location. :084: :027:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 01:29:52 PM »
I think Stevie P is right. Some time ago, I bought an S4 for a Speedmaster/America and a fitting kit to put it on a Scrambler, no problem. Alarm was new, and the fitting kit was ridiculously expensive but the total cost was still less than buying a new S4 for the Scrambler.
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 02:38:55 PM »
Hi Ian, have you accessed the alarm? It could be worth checking the serial number as there was a recall and maybe a slim chance yours is the correct part # and serial number for free replacement. I had mine replaced under this, and the one before it replaced under warranty. :084:
Nothing to lose by checking. :028:

https://www.datatool.co.uk/safetyrecalls4/

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Online tcbandituk

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: XRt & Street RS
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 04:05:57 PM »
Check the recall first as Stevie.P says.
But otherwise, I have fitted the same Datatool alarm to a 2013 Bonnie, 2016 Tiger Sport, 2017 Speed Triple and it's currently on my 2018 XRt, so it's safe to say it's interchangeable up to a point, my 2020 Street RS has a different alarm fitting for the new style Scorpion alarm...
Also watch out for the French version which is not a plug and play version but has to be hard wired in.
2020 Street Triple RS
2018 Tiger 800 XRt
2017 ZX-10R KRT Track bike

TC Drag Bike

Offline bidders

• Tiger Member
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 08:01:17 PM »
Hi Stevie,

Thanks for your reply regarding checking out the serial number to see if it was part of the Datatool recall in 2017. I put in the serial number into their website and I have been instructed to contact Datatool directly, which I just have by email.
If it is part of the recall I am annoyed I have not been notified by Datatool as I have a copy of the Datatool registration document which was given to me by the Dealer when the alarm was fitted when the bike was new. It is a good job it failed whilst the bike was in my garage not out on the road.
Thanks again for your help and advise and I'll let you know how I get on.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 08:39:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by bidders [+]
If it is part of the recall I am annoyed I have not been notified by Datatool as I have a copy of the Datatool registration document ...

Hi Ian. AFAIK they didn't send out any notices, it was more a case of dealers and registered installers being aware (probably because AIUI that is the only way they can officially be fitted to be warranty covered) and then word of mouth, like on here. Basically when mine failed I was luckily within the city, rang the dealer and they came out with their van and rescued the bike back to their workshop ... twice. Ever since my second replacement  (3rd alarm on the Tiger) I have carried the proper blanking plug in my puncture kit so if I ever have another failure, it totally imobilises the bike, I can just disconnect the alarm and get going.  :028:

The fault, which is what mine suffered, was that the unit sealing process in manufacture was identified as sub-standard and water was getting into the units. My replacement then failed with the same symptoms, dashboard disco light display, but was just outside the recall last serial number and Datatool wouldn't accept it as such so my dealer simply renewed it again as a standard warranty claim for failure.

Offline bidders

• Tiger Member
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2021, 08:52:48 AM »
Hi Stevie,

Contacted Datatool and spoke to their Technical Manager who was very helpful and he stated that the faulty alarm was part of the Triumph recall, the unit was produced in 2015 although it was not fitted to the bike until May 2016.

Cut a long story short, contacted the Triumph dealership where I bought the bike new who tried to fob me off until I stated that I had contacted Datatool and the faulty alarm was part of a Triumph recall, suddenly I was given a date and time to have the alarm replaced. RESULT.

I'll carry the blanking plug on the bike I bought to get the bike going just in case the replacement unit.
Thinking about it I suspect the alarm has been failing for at least 2 years as the bike cut out on the M6 in a traffic queue when going to Heysham and wouldn't restart for 30 mins. I ended up changing the battery thinking it was that, looks like that wasn't needed....

Thanks again for your help and advise.

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2021, 10:41:50 AM »
*Originally Posted by bidders [+]
I ended up changing the battery thinking it was that, looks like that wasn't needed....

Result.  :028:
Do you mean the bike battery or the alarm fob battery, which does give intermittent use when the battery needs changing. I've only used 1 of the 2 supplied fobs and only replaced the battery once in 5.5yrs, but worth keeping in mind if you find yourself having to press the button 2 or 3 times to get it to operate.

Did you buy the alarm blanking plug or, like me, did you acquire one? When the alarm is installed by a dealer or registered installer they are supposed to return the removed blanking plug to Datatool. After my concerns of having the 3rd unit fitted the mechanic had a look around the workshop, found one and gave it to me. Also, though they should have, they never heat shrink covered the last install and I only have to unwrap some electrical tape which is convenient if I ever have to disconnect the alarm.

The other thing my dealer repeatedly skipped, covered in my Fuzeblock installation, is actually wiring in the reed switch on the rear rack or rear seat in an actual functional way so if someone attempts to access the alarm unit it goes off. :023:

Anyway, had an S4 Red 2yrs troublefree on my Street Triple and thankfully had probably 3-3.5yrs with no issue on this latest one.  :028:

Offline bidders

• Tiger Member
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2021, 11:51:06 AM »
The complete alarm unit is being replaced. The Technical Manager at Datatool did say that the alarm unit battery only charges when the bike is running, the alarm unit battery doesn't charge when the bike is connected to a trickle charger.

I have changed the batteries in the key fobs over the years without any issues. The Datatool alarm on 2003 Triumph RS 995 that I had fitted from new, which the lad now owns, has never played up.

As I bought the blanking plug from the same dealer that is carrying out the alarm replacement, I'll make sure I have the blanking plug in my hand before I leave the dealership after the replacement alarm is fitted.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch