Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Too much oil  (Read 1279 times)

Half-Click-Up, kokkios and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Guyver

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
Too much oil
« on: May 07, 2021, 07:18:33 PM »
Strange one for you.

I did an oil and filter change a couple of weeks ago. I had the bike on a level service and the oil was topped up gradually to the max mark. Bike was run and double checked over the next few days and all was fine.

Last couple of days I've had gearbox issues with 2nd going to third and vice versa. So tonight I've double checked the oil level and it was way over the limit. I've just drained a good  1/2 pint of oil from the sump.

No idea how this has happened. But now, the oil filler cap will NOT screw back in, the threads on the cap have started to separate so it doesn't screw back in.

So firstly any ideas how the oil could have been overfilled so much with the levels being correct for the first few days. And is there an alternative filler cap I can use instead of the plastic OEM part?

Online Londonglide

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: xc
Re: Too much oil
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 07:23:09 PM »
Your not having much luck, are you!!! Is the coolant level stable?, I cannot think of a way to overfill the bike that much if it was truly level. There are a number of alternative oil filler caps on eBay. There is an aluminium oem one, if you fancy..

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte' ......... By Skill and by Fighting
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 07:37:51 PM »
*Originally Posted by Guyver [+]
But now, the oil filler cap will NOT screw back in, the threads on the cap have started to separate so it doesn't screw back in.

Yes the filler cap is poor. I went to open mine after it had been serviced by the dealer to find they had forced it down and I eventually had to resort to pliers to get it open and find the threads chewed. Luckily I had traded in my Street Triple with the red aluminium replacement oil filler cap and dipstick and still had the original plastic filler cap. Even with that one I first slightly feathered the lead in on the thread with a Stanley knife to reduce the chance of repeat damage and to date it has been fine.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline ItchyOxter

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger XR
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 07:40:05 PM »
Did you measure the amount of oil you put in (rather than just using the sight glass)? May also want to check the crankcase breather pipe which normally spits excess oil into the airbox and out onto the swingarm on the lefthand side of the bike.
If you choose not to decide, you have still made a decision!

Offline Guyver

• Tiger Master
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 07:52:03 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys.

The coolant is sitting on the minimum level and is still bright blue so that's a good sign.
No leaks anywhere that I can see. The exhaust has been more sooty than usual but it's the first time I've really used the bike for any length of time since owning it.

The oil filler cap I've managed to abuse with a Stanley knife and it's gone in. I'll order the CNC one off eBay later tonight.

I'll take the bike for a run tomorrow and see if it's any different. The oil in the window is dirty brown but the excess is still more red than brown which doesn't make sense either.

I'll report back tomorrow after a run and see if it still had the weird gear changes. I initially thought it was because after cleaning the chain and removed a huge chunk of muck off the front sprocket. I know it needs changing but I'll deal with this issue first.

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2021, 10:45:44 PM »
Unlikely but possible theory to throw into the discussion--somewhere there is an intermittent oil blockage causing retention of some oil so it doesn't return to the sump. So when you first drained the old oil, not all came out. Then the blockage cleared with the new oil and the excess appeared. Also might explain why you have two colours in the oil. Also might explain the gearbox problem if the oil was blocked there. Guessing of course.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Offline gordybrock

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 800 Phantom Black
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2021, 01:17:29 AM »
The oil in the window is dirty brown but the excess is still more red than brown which doesn't make sense either.

Shine a light close to the sight glass, you might find the oil is not as dirty as you think  :152:
I'm from Wigan me

Offline Guyver

• Tiger Master
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2021, 12:24:01 PM »
Quick update.

Took the bike out as I needed to get to the post office. Oil level looked about right. Been out for about 45 minutes. Different roads and speeds.

There was a burning clutch smell at one point but that seems to have disappeared now. Bike has been sat on level (ish) ground for 10 minutes and the oil is back to an off red colour and sitting a shade under the max mark. Gears feel smoother and so does the acceleration. So hopefully the oil issues have been fixed. I'll keep my eye on it for the next few days.

Ordered a CNC filler cap too

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte' ......... By Skill and by Fighting
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2021, 12:28:01 PM »
... and the oil is back to an off red colour ...

I always use the red Castrol Power Racing 1 fully synthetic oil and I've found it doesn't take many rides/miles for the contaminants to turn the colour to typical dirty oil colour ... just shows it's doing its job of cleaning and holding the carbon, etc. :027:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Guyver

• Tiger Master
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2021, 02:30:27 PM »
Makes sense.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch