Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Too much oil  (Read 1253 times)

Offline Guyver

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
Re: Too much oil
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2021, 06:22:03 PM »
 Still having some issues here.

The bike is keeping the oil level as it should be. But I've got a burning rubber smell when I park the bike up and it's not the tyres. I've also just had to use pliers to remove the oil filler cap as it's seized up again and it stinks of petrol.
The cap has a creamy residue in the very top of it, but the sight glass has none. The coolant is still showing blue colour so that should be ok.
Also the front of the bike frame is crazy hot after after a 10 minute ride home. Can't say I've noticed that before, but the weather is starting to warm up so that could be completely normal. The scottoiler also seems to be not working. I've just turned up to half way as the chain is bone dry, could there be a blockage that's stopping the air being pushed through the vacuum hose?

It's just the strange burning rubber smell and the petrol smell in the oil cap that's got me worried.

Any ideas?

Offline Half-Click-Up

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2014 Tiger 800A
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2021, 06:34:18 PM »
Guyver is the bike smoking at all at idle or when you accelerate? Have you noticed any power loss?

On the extreme end of possible causes of fuel in your oil is the remote possibility of bad/worn piston rings, or simply a "leaky" injector.
Perhaps a compression test is in order.

As for the residue in the cap, that is often a result of condensation in the oil, which can be caused by regularly operating the engine for only short periods of time (short daily commutes) where the engine doesn't necessarily always reach operating temperature.
2014 Triumph Tiger 800A
2009 Yamaha FZ6R
Texas, USA
youtube.com/halfclickup

Offline Guyver

• Tiger Master
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2021, 07:34:35 PM »
The only smoke I've noticed is at first start in the mornings as it's still quite cold when I leave for work. Acceleration feels fine. Scottoiler is now working as I let the bike run for a while and watched the oil drip so that issue is sorted. It's exactly 3 miles from my house to where I park the bike at work. So that could explain the residue. The fan is working too as I left the engine running for a while until it kicked in.

Stupid as it sounds, the bike was at the front of the garage and I've just checked the oil again and it's way over the top of the sight glass. Pushed the bike to the other end of the garage and it sitting between the 2 indiction marks. So the garage floor is miles further out of level than I originally thought. I've got Friday off so I'll get my level out and mark the most level area of the garage so I've got a constant area to go off.

The new oil filler cap is fitted so I'll see if I get any burning smells again tomorrow as I'm thinking it might be the original filler cap melting away.

Offline Half-Click-Up

• Tiger Member
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2021, 07:48:40 PM »
That's pretty wild about your floor level! That's a heck of an elevation difference to cause so much fluctuation in indicated oil level.

Equally wild is the thought of your oil filler cap being the source of the smell. You're going to make me order a billet cap from eBay!
2014 Triumph Tiger 800A
2009 Yamaha FZ6R
Texas, USA
youtube.com/halfclickup

Offline Guyver

• Tiger Master
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2021, 08:26:14 PM »
It's a billet one I've fitted tonight. eBay listing said it was for the Tiger, but the packaging lists every Triumph model except the Tiger. I'll see if it makes any difference tomorrow.

Offline Half-Click-Up

• Tiger Member
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2021, 08:40:34 PM »
2014 Triumph Tiger 800A
2009 Yamaha FZ6R
Texas, USA
youtube.com/halfclickup

Offline Guyver

• Tiger Master

Offline Half-Click-Up

• Tiger Member
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2021, 09:06:33 PM »
Lovely... that ought to take care of threading issues. I really hope that's all it is; that coupled with unlevel floor.

...and take that machine on a daytrip somewhere and run the snot out of it!  :001:
Ought to take care of that condensation buildup.
2014 Triumph Tiger 800A
2009 Yamaha FZ6R
Texas, USA
youtube.com/halfclickup

Recent Topics

winded-staunch