Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tiger 900 Rear Brakes  (Read 683 times)

Offline sprucetiger

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2021 Tiger900GTP
Tiger 900 Rear Brakes
« on: May 09, 2021, 05:43:07 PM »
I have never owned a bike with Brembo brakes before.  The Tiger 900 rear doesnt come apart like my 800 did...
It looks like there is a cotter pin holding the brake pads in place.  Is it as simple as pulling that pin and then sliding out the retaining pin?  Does it push through or is there something you need to do?

I am getting some squeaking from the rear brake, so I was going to pull the pads and do a clean.  Then add some copper slip on the back. 

First time I have noticed how different these brakes are than my old 800.

Offline AndrewNZ

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 900 GT Pro
Re: Tiger 900 Rear Brakes
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 09:49:13 AM »
I feel that asking a question like this I wonder if you should be interfering with the brakes at all?
Do you have any mechanical experience?
My concern is purely for your safety.
You are only jealous as the voices are speaking to me! Honda 90 Sport, Lambretta 200 GT then a 25 year gap, Harley Davidson 900 Sportster, Harley Davidson 1600 Fat Bob, Triumph Explorer Gen I, Triumph Explorer Gen II, Triumph 900 GT Pro.

Offline hawkbox

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2021 900 GT Pro
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 04:51:36 PM »
Hmm well now I need to go look at the calipre on the 900, I assumed it would be the same as the 800 which was obviously a mistake. 

Offline rainbow-walker

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Triumph Tiger
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 10:43:20 PM »
My last bike had brembo brakes (Ducati 899), but they were a lot simpler than this setup on the rear caliper (two bolts to remove the caliper on the 899 and pretty much every other bike I've owned).

I believe you can replace the pads with the caliper in place, but you cant just unbolt the caliper like on the 800.  To take the caliper off you need to drop the wheel to get at the sliding plate it's attached to.  Took me ages to work it out when I just wanted to pull the rear wheel for a new tyre and expected to be able to 'undo' the caliper fully first.

If you just want to pull the pads :

Push the brake caliper inwards towards the wheel in order to displace the caliper piston.
Remove the R-clip from the pad retaining pin.
Using a suitable pin punch, tap the pad retaining pin out in the direction towards the wheel.

Ignore the yellow arrow, I was trying to work out what it was, but pic of caliper below.  I highly recommend following the guidance on this site to get hold of the Tiger 900 manual from Triumph (its not entirely straightforward as it's an online manual, but brilliant instructions on here).  Well worth the few quid it cost me.

Manual download thread https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,24598.0.html

RBW.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 10:52:08 PM by rainbow-walker »

Offline sprucetiger

• Tiger Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 03:27:31 AM »
*Originally Posted by AndrewNZ [+]
I feel that asking a question like this I wonder if you should be interfering with the brakes at all?
Do you have any mechanical experience?
My concern is purely for your safety.

Logical question, but yes I was an aircraft mechanic in the Army.  And I have been working on bikes for a long time.  But just never had a brake that looked like this before.  And since they are so new there are no videos or Haynes to help, so I thought I would ask. 

Offline sprucetiger

• Tiger Member
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 03:30:33 AM »
*Originally Posted by rainbow-walker [+]
Push the brake caliper inwards towards the wheel in order to displace the caliper piston.
Remove the R-clip from the pad retaining pin.
Using a suitable pin punch, tap the pad retaining pin out in the direction towards the wheel.

Thanks for that.  So it as simple as I thought, just so very different than the 800.  Seems like a very simple design.  And yes I would have been a bit trying to take it off before removing rear wheel, so you saved me some time.

I do need to get the manual, so thanks for the thread link.

Offline sprucetiger

• Tiger Member
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2021, 04:03:43 AM »
And sorted.   Yes there is a pin you push back towards the wheel.  It is a little easier if you press up on the pads to unload the pin weight.  A center spring punch worked so well it shot the pin across my garage!

Took out the pads (without removing the wheel).  Cleaned them, put a little copper slip on the back and reinstalled.  Will test ride tomorrow.

Offline AndrewNZ

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 900 GT Pro
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2021, 08:17:50 AM »
*Originally Posted by sprucetiger [+]
Logical question, but yes I was an aircraft mechanic in the Army.  And I have been working on bikes for a long time.  But just never had a brake that looked like this before.  And since they are so new there are no videos or Haynes to help, so I thought I would ask.

Glad you are sorted and the question was concern for your welfare as I've know people think it's easy and have experience at all.  :152:
You are only jealous as the voices are speaking to me! Honda 90 Sport, Lambretta 200 GT then a 25 year gap, Harley Davidson 900 Sportster, Harley Davidson 1600 Fat Bob, Triumph Explorer Gen I, Triumph Explorer Gen II, Triumph 900 GT Pro.

Recent Topics