Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2021 Irish Photo Rally  (Read 1149 times)

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Venom Yellow 800
2021 Irish Photo Rally
« on: May 11, 2021, 01:28:15 PM »
Yesterday (May 10th) being the 1st day allowing unencumbered travel and me having booked a day off was destined as Tiger day out.

http://www.irishphotorally.ie/

Afternoon started well enough with just a light drizzle leaving home in Naas but by time I had reached my 1st stop of the day in Co. Tipperary 129km the drizzle had worked it's way up to a fecking downpour. At this point I was seriously pissed off, not with the weather per say more that my 6 month old Rev'it H2O compass boots did indeed like H2O, so much so it let great quantities inside. Bastard.  Buy cheap buy twice.

Anyway 1st stop (point 16) - old IRA ( as in 1920) memorial

Didn't bother getting camera out just used phone it was that wet.

From Tipperary to Co. Waterford for my 2nd stop (point 17). 68km of lovely twisty roads to the seaside. Erin's hope - Hoping for a dry day probably.

Would have stayed and taken in the view on a day like today - dry and sunny.  No view to be had, so back on and back up to Dungarvan for a refuel then on to my 3rd stop in Co. Kilkenny, only 60km, again mainly back roads with a bit of a blast on the N25.

3rd stop (point 12) - The Sinnott's Cross memorial - again war of independence.

Truly wet. Forgot to bring my jacket's storm collar so damp round the neck.  Jacket though working well, as were my trousers. Rev'it winter gloves only really damp inside from removing them for filling fuel and taking photos. Boots though as already said were a waste and will be sent back I think.
Anyway homeward bound section - some nice twisties again to just past Mullinavat then joined the M9 north bound. 6th gear, 5 to 5,500 rpm and occasionally higher had me home 132km later in 76 minutes. Total 404km and 5 hours 8 minutes riding time.
Anglo-Chilean Irishman - Lost again

Online Tallpaul

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800XR
Re: 2021 Irish Photo Rally
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 05:00:27 PM »
Great pictures, shame it couldn't have been a drier day for you though. Is the theme based on the Irish Independence struggles?
I'm most of the way through "On another man's wound", by Ernie O'Malley, the autobiography of an Irish Republican Army Chief of Staff. First published in 1936, it's a fascinating read and insight into what went on 100 years ago.

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 08:03:39 PM »
No not at all. Theme is always to get bikes out & exploring.  One of my favourite spots so far was the Lonely Post box  - at a cross roads in the middle of the Wicklow mountains. Literally not a house for miles.

Lonely Post box - 2008

Or how about Dragon Gates - 2008

Or this memorial to an aircraft crash - 2010

German War dead cemetery Glengree in Wicklow mountains

Offline Phil_from_Derry

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XRx
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 11:34:09 PM »
Nice pics, pity about the weather.  Hope to get down round that way over the summer but in the meantime, I'm hoping to get out a spin over the border soon, Donegal to start with.  Will bring my camera and get a few pics maybe.
Rode from Derry to Belfast to Omagh and home today, about 185 miles, my personal tour of the north :008:.  Sunshine all the way but a bit windy. 

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 09:44:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by Phil_from_Derry [+]
Nice pics, pity about the weather.  Hope to get down round that way over the summer but in the meantime, I'm hoping to get out a spin over the border soon, Donegal to start with.  Will bring my camera and get a few pics maybe.
Rode from Derry to Belfast to Omagh and home today, about 185 miles, my personal tour of the north :008:.  Sunshine all the way but a bit windy.

Great roads up your way. Nice cluster of rally points there & thereabouts as well. Typically Tuesday and now Wednesday are sunny & dry.

Offline Phil_from_Derry

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XRx
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2021, 11:46:03 PM »
Think i might make it a plan to get all 24 in before the deadline this year.  Previous years I planned to and never got round to it for various reasons. 
The Tiger makes easy miles and i'm not going anywhere on a plane this year.

Online KildareMan

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2021, 09:00:23 AM »
 :028:

I can get #9 anytime as I pass Rathcoole everyday on the commute. Might try for 11 & 10 on Monday as I'm off but also have family duties - no one will miss me though for 4 hours in the middle of the day!!

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2021, 04:46:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tallpaul [+]
Great pictures, shame it couldn't have been a drier day for you though. Is the theme based on the Irish Independence struggles?
I'm most of the way through "On another man's wound", by Ernie O'Malley, the autobiography of an Irish Republican Army Chief of Staff. First published in 1936, it's a fascinating read and insight into what went on 100 years ago.

If you're interested then Netflix have a part dramatised documentary called 1916, about the 1916 Easter uprising, leading to the formation of the Republic.

Narrated by (who else?) Liam Neeson, former fork lift driver for Guinness, Dublin.
Now available in "Batman"

Offline Dilbert

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2021, 04:56:29 PM »
It's a good way to get out and do something/ go somewhere you wouldn't normally, I did a couple more themed ones a few years ago with a Manchester group, one Monopoly based and one based on a war theme, including the German cemetery in the Cannock Chase woods.

Now available in "Batman"

Online Tallpaul

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800XR
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2021, 08:23:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dilbert [+]
If you're interested then Netflix have a part dramatised documentary called 1916, about the 1916 Easter uprising, leading to the formation of the Republic.

Narrated by (who else?) Liam Neeson, former fork lift driver for Guinness, Dublin.
Thanks Dilbert. I'll look out for this.

Recent Topics