Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2014 Tiger800xc abs ignition fault  (Read 475 times)

Offline natesilas

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: 2014 Tiger 800xc
2014 Tiger800xc abs ignition fault
« on: May 12, 2021, 04:14:53 PM »
Turn the ignition to on, display remains blank, and it seems like the battery must be dead.  Unhappy sound comes from somewhere under the seat.  Forum won't allow me to upload the video to demonstrate the sound, but it actually sounds mechanical... like very small gears grinding?  Here's a link to the very short vid I took this morning.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n9uuncuqzdfi5ye/Tiger800xc%20ignition%20fault.mp4?dl=0

Anyone able to venture a guess as to what is happening here? Battery is strong. This bike (2014 TigerXC ABS w 8k miles on the clock) has not had any electrical issues before. I have been poking around the tail light harness looking for the appropriate wire to splice in power for my gps, but havent cut any wires and definitely put everything back the way it was before I got into it. Seems unlikely that I would have fouled the wiring but ?

As always thank you for any advice/feedback!
-Nate Silas

Online awjdthumper

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
Re: 2014 Tiger800xc abs ignition fault
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2021, 04:58:11 PM »
Is the sound actually coming from inside the battery box and, if so, can you locate its source a bit more accurately? I believe (from memory) that there's nothing much down there except fuses and relays. I would be tempted to start by removing the main fuses to see whether this isolates the noise to one part of the electrical system. However, the noise in the video sounds more like a motor trying to turn over rather than a faulty relay!
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline natesilas

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 05:07:25 PM »
Thanks - yes it does sound a bit like a mechanical thing... it sounds like it's coming from the fuseboxes I focused the video on... not the battery itself.  I suppose I have heard electro mechanical components make similar sounds in other scenarios.  And if 9th grade electronics class memory serves, I think a relay is an electro mechanical device.  When the low power circuit is actuated it closes a switch to complete the higher power circuit.  So I imagine maybe its a relay that's somehow toggling open and closed very quickly?  Far fetched?

I was thinking of pulling fuses one by one to see if it changes anything.  Thought I'd check here to see if anyone could point me in the right direction, or maybe someone knows exactly what it is and how to solve the problem...

I'm still hopeful!  Anyone got any other ideas?
-Nate Silas

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte' ......... By Skill and by Fighting
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2021, 05:37:43 PM »
It sounds to me like a relay trying to work but not getting enough power to latch on ... possibly the rear brake switch relay .... try removing that one first, it looks to be fed power as soon as the ignition is switched on.
You say the battery is strong ... based on what? Batteries are always my number 1 suspect (and often the culprit) with electrical faults no matter what the symptoms. Is it still the original 2014 battery because if so I would certainly be tempted to renew that straight away, my 2015 battery dies 18 months ago. Do you have another 12v battery ... car .... you could jumper up to try to eliminate possible lack of power.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Online awjdthumper

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2021, 05:55:23 PM »
I would try putting the voltmeter across the battery to see if there is any significant change in its voltage when you switch on the ignition. However, most of the relays on the bike require a relatively small current to latch on and so the battery would need to be completely duff to stop these working. As said, if you take out fuses to deactivate parts of the electrical circuit (eg fuel pump circuit) then this might highlight what fuse (if any) is the cause of the problem.

Offline natesilas

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2021, 06:03:24 PM »
Thanks gents! Wise words which I have also found to be true in my experience. 

I say battery is strong, BUT... I could be wrong.  After a few ignition on/off cycles without getting my usual cues to hit the starter I checked voltage and it was 11.5V or thereabouts... a little under 12.  Mind you I hadn't started it in a week or more.  I grabbed the battery tender and hooked it up.  It charged for only a few minutes and went into "battery is fully charged" mode.  Unhooked tender and read 12.5V.  Turned ignition key to on.  No change in behavior.  Then I took the above linked video. 

Here's another link to the same video for anyone who's just reading this

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n9uuncuqzdfi5ye/Tiger800xc%20ignition%20fault.mp4?dl=0

I don't know if it's the original battery, but your recommendation seems wise regardless. The battery is of unknown age so it would be good to get a freshie installed so at least it's a known quantity.  I am planning on doing some longer trips in the coming weeks and months. 

I bought this bike last July with 2k miles and my impression is that the bike is very good to the battery.  My voltmeter is a USB outlet voltmeter combo that plugs into the aux power jack by the handlebars.  When riding the voltage usually reads a little above 14 volts, that with heated grips and vest on full and phone charging. 

I will see if the voltage changes drastically when turning ignition on and report back.  At WORK now  :001:

-Nate Silas

Online awjdthumper

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2021, 08:41:53 PM »
A voltage output of 11.5V almost certainly means a duff battery!

Offline natesilas

• Tiger Cub
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2021, 05:10:56 AM »
Turns out the main fuse was corroded after all. What a funny journey.  The drain hole that allows water to escape the main brain/battery compartment was plugged with mud. There was some standing water in the bottom where the main fuse sits. Unplugged the hole using WHAT ELSE? A zip tie ;)  Drained the water, cleaned it all up with a rag and some compressed air. Installed a new main fuse, put her all back together and she fired right up. Test ride tomorrow. Hallefreakin LOOYA 😎

Which brings me back to a question I asked the other day in the off road trail talk section of this forum. 

Is it not ok to lay these bikes on their side?  I mean obviously we keep them upright until we don't, and we pick them up reasonably promptly when they go down.  But I can easily imagine needing to lay it over to change a tube trailside, or several other scenarios I just want to be able to lay it over, such as the one I described in detail here:

https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,29490.0.html

Long and short of that thread is I rode through some heavy rain, then a week later rode through some standing water, and got stuck in some muck, and had to lay her down.  A few minutes later I smelled fuel, found it was leaking out from... somewhere.  Stood her up quickly at that point, and managed to lug her out of the mud with the help of a friend and a rope.  She had some trouble running, wanted to stall, but after a few minutes and some encouragement she seemed to be happy.  Made it home fine. 

Another week or so later I'm poking around looking for the best place to wire in the new Zumo to switched power.  (see the OTHER thread I started in Electrical/Wiring https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,29451.0.html) Had a hard time locating the proper place to tap into the pos+ wire to the tail light - temporarily aborted that mission until I could get some better intel. 

Jumped on yesterday for a quick errand and had the problem that started THIS VERY THREAD. 

SO THANKS AGAIN everyone who chimed in.  That's the update for now - I plan to come off the bike here and there, but I guess I will try to pick her up more quickly in the future, and I will make sure to keep the battery box drain clear!  And I still have to figure out where to splice my GPS power in!!! HAHAHAHAHA

-Nate Silas

Online awjdthumper

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2021, 06:20:55 AM »
Glad you sorted the electrical problem - the location of the main fuse and starter relay underneath the battery is far from ideal. My other off-road bike can be safely laid on its side and that has a separate oil tank and uses a conventional carb. The Tiger with wet sump and injectors should be no problem as long as the stopper is firmly inserted into the radiator expansion bottle!

I wired my Zumo straight to the battery as I didn't see a need for a switched supply given that the unit has its own on/off switch?

Recent Topics

winded-staunch