Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Removing Super Glued Handlebars?  (Read 615 times)

Offline SeeJayEss

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800
Removing Super Glued Handlebars?
« on: May 14, 2021, 07:43:42 PM »
Hi.

I am trying to remove an old pair of aftermarket heated grips but the plastic inserts have been superglued to within an inch of their lives.

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations as to how to safely get them off without damaging the handlebars.

Thanks in advance.

SeeJayEss.

Offline UncleGary

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 Roadie
Re: Removing Super Glued Handlebars?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 10:08:08 PM »
I would try a using a sharp broad blade kitchen knife. Lay the blade side on the handlebar surface. This means that the sharp cutting edge will be safely above the handlebar a tiny bit. Keep the blade flat on the bar and slice back and forth the length of the grip. There will be a little bit on the bar left as you get the majority sliced off. Careful use of a razor blade will clean the up without gouging the metal. Good luck.

Offline Sputnik

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2021, 12:29:11 AM »
I'd give a whirl to trying to get a thin screwdriver, or similar, under the grip. You should be able to prise it in a small distance somewhere, but as above, try to keep it in line with the bars so you don't scratch anything. Once you get a bit of purchase you may be able to twist the grip a bit (a quirt of wd40 via a tube may also help). Keep using the screwdriver to try to get a bit further in. Superglue is usually quite brittle so if you can get enough rotation going it'll usually start cracking gradually. Throttle side is usually harder work but should get there eventually. So long as you are patient you should get there eventually without damage. Once the grips are off you can turn your hand to removing the glue residue!

Offline Sputnik

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger 800
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2021, 12:37:28 AM »
Oh, and I may have misread your post and just posted about getting the grips themselves off, rather than the plastic parts. Is there not usually one side that is plasticky and one (throttle side) that is softer because it goes over the throttle tube?

Online posty

• Tiger Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2021, 09:09:43 AM »

Offline SeeJayEss

• Tiger Member
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2021, 10:28:02 AM »
Guys.

Thanks for the info.

Posty. Thanks for the link. Just ordered some.

Looks like that's my weekend taken care of.  :087:

Offline SeeJayEss

• Tiger Member
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2021, 07:29:50 PM »
Guys.

Thanks for the advice. Job done.

As a follow up to my original post, and to help those who might have a similar issue in the future, here is how I resolved the problem of the superglued hot grips.

Having fully expected (and planned) to spend most of the weekend trying to get the grips off, I actually managed to get them off in about 10 minutes. I had already previously removed the rubber hot-grips covers, leaving just the plastic sleeves and heating element. I removed the element and all of the associated sticky tape and then set to on the plastic covers.

Prior to trying to remove the grips I had removed the hand guards and the bar ends and sprayed some WD-40 into the tube. I did this a couple of times, leaving it for a few hours/overnight between sprays. Just prior to trying to get them off I also sprayed some Acetone (internet tip) into the gap and I also left this for a couple of hours. It's also worth sticking a towel or sponge down on the bodywork as any excess fluid leaks out of the end of their and onto the tank if you're not careful.

When I was ready to remove the grips, I gently tapped along the length and circumference with a small hammer loosen off the superglue, and then, using a pair of mole grips, I rotated the left grip backwards and forwards until it was off. To be honest, it was so quick to come off that I nearly fell forward over the bike as it broke the glue. On the right hand grip I only tried to move and rotate it forward against the idle-stop of the throttle, so this took a little longer to work loose but it came off, again with no significant problems.

I then used the acetone to clean off the residual glue and sticky tape that had been left by the previous owner. As expected, the left grip fitted with no issues at all. However, the throttle tube of the right hand grip had the significant ridges and was also a few millimetres too big for the hot grip. I used a small Stanley knife to cut off the ridges and then used some course (80 grade) sandpaper to get rid of the remains of the ridges and reduce the size of the throttle tube. This didn't take too long.

I needed some superglue (provided by Oxford - Thank you) on the left hand grip, but the right hand grip is sufficiently snug that (at the moment) I don't need to stick it down. I removed all of the wiring from the previous grips and the wiring for the new grips was pretty straight forward, although I can't help thinking that Oxford have been a bit over generous with the length of the cables. There seems to be a significant amount of extra cable that is a pain to tie-wrap and stow away from the handlebars.

Having expected to spend hours on the job, I was pleasantly surprised that I managed to get them off and installed in about an hour.

Good luck to anyone else who has a similar issue.

Take care.

SeeJayEss

Recent Topics

winded-staunch