Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Steering lock  (Read 1429 times)

Offline Chaindriven

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800XRT
Steering lock
« on: May 16, 2021, 10:09:02 PM »
Hi. Just found out that the steering lock on my 800( 2018 plate) when turned to lock there is about 2mm in the slot and if you pull the bar to full lock( to the left) and turn them back the bloody lock is useless ( pin is free and not damaged) only when put in the park position does the pin come fully into the hole☹️ Any body out there had /got the same fault and does the park lights have its own fuse so I can disable the park lights and have a steering lock that works 👍
Ian

Online D6864

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: White XC
Re: Steering lock
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 09:40:30 AM »
It's correct that the locking position is not quite full left lock; there's an arrow on the top yoke to show where it is, line this up with the steering lock pin. You'll get used to it after a while.

The steering lock engages and you can remove the key without switching the parking light on one position back clockwise from fully anti-clockwise, marked with a padlock symbol.

Offline Chaindriven

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 06:52:01 PM »
Hi. Thanks for the reply D6864 ,but please read the post I do know how to work a steering lock ☹️

Online D6864

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: White XC
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2021, 07:45:38 AM »
D'oh, I see what you're getting at now; the locking pin doesn't come out far enough to engage until you turn the key to the parking light position. Haven't heard of that happening before. First thing I'd try is engaging the lock, applying some force to the handlebars to hold the locking pin in the engaged position and trying to turn the key back to the lock position; the idea being to return the mechanism linking the key to the locking pin to its correct alignment. Failing that, lubricating the lock and locking pin might help.

Offline MegaChops

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XC
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2021, 10:11:28 AM »
*Originally Posted by D6864 [+]
It's correct that the locking position is not quite full left lock; there's an arrow on the top yoke to show where it is, line this up with the steering lock pin. You'll get used to it after a while.

The steering lock engages and you can remove the key without switching the parking light on one position back clockwise from fully anti-clockwise, marked with a padlock symbol.

Never knew this! I thought my steering lock was faulty and when I did get it on the parking light come on. Really good to know

Sorry for post hijacking OP

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte' ......... By Skill and by Fighting
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2021, 11:41:09 AM »
*Originally Posted by D6864 [+]
... You'll get used to it after a while.

:0461: .... for me it's automatic ... turn bars full left lock, gentle pressure on key towards lock position while slight move of bars back towards the right .... probably something like a cm of movement at the bar end.  :028:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Chaindriven

• Tiger Member
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2021, 07:07:05 PM »
Hi but I am looking to  see if anyone has the same problem engage the lock remove the key then turn the steering to the left and turn the steering to the right is the steering lock still doing its job or is it useless ?

Offline Chaindriven

• Tiger Member
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2021, 06:53:04 AM »
Hi Stevie. P,get you point but after removing the key turn  the bars to the left and the turn them to the right is the steering lock still on. .? I find it hard to believe that I have the only mass produced bike with a useless s/ lock

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte' ......... By Skill and by Fighting
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2021, 11:24:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by Chaindriven [+]
... but after removing the key turn  the bars to the left and the turn them to the right is the steering lock still on. .? I find it hard to believe that I have the only mass produced bike with a useless s/ lock

The steering lock locks the bars on a left lock, it's as simple as that. You can simply look down at the arrow on the upper fork yoke, turn the bars to the lock position and when turning the key to the locked position should physically see the locking pin moving out and into the matching hole. Once the locking pin is clearly located in the matching sized hole the bars, other than a tiny bit of play, cannot move in any direction.

Check the above, if you don't see the locking pin move out into the hole I would suspect someone has had a quick go at trying to steal the bike when it was locked and sheared the locking pin off, not a faulty factory supplied steering lock. It is after all a fairly flimsy lock designed to enevitably break at a point before causing damage to the more expensive parts.  :027:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Chaindriven

• Tiger Member
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2021, 07:09:44 AM »
Stevie P
Check my first post pin out only 2mm. No damage only when turn to park does the pin go right into the Hole by the way its a 2018 bike with only 4K on the clock so not worn out lock

Recent Topics

winded-staunch