Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Steering lock  (Read 1428 times)

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte' ......... By Skill and by Fighting
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
Re: Steering lock
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2021, 09:23:53 AM »
So to clarify and relevant with my previous reply, have you had the bike from new and has the lock never worked or just recently stopped working. Or is the bike pre-owned and never worked for you or just recently stopped working.  :027:

I have just gone out and looked at mine. A hard position to picture with a phone, but ...

... here, obviously is the key in 'Off' position ...

... and her I moved towards 'lock' until front of lock pin level with hole entrance. The key points to the 'P' of 'Push'.

I then cleaned the lock pin off and, as best as possible, marked a line as tight as possible to the back end ...

... and when turned to the 'Lock' position the whole of that marker pen line just goes inside the locating hole .... around 10mm I would estimate.
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2021, 10:01:38 AM »
I've just took the bike out of its restrictive parking bay in my garden to use and quickly played with the lock and noticed, something I never use, that when moved to 'Park' the locking pin moves even further forward ... maybe 4 or 5mm.

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Chaindriven

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800XRT
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2021, 05:52:29 AM »
Hi. Stevie P. Thanks for the trouble you have went to. I am the second owner. The only damage is from myself at the top yoke due to the pin.  in just the lock position like normal people would do to check that the lock has engaged ( not forcefully tried by the way ) and yes if as your pic. Shows when I turn to the park position the pin travels a lot further into the hole and is very secure its when in the lock position ( yes if you try to turn the bars straight the lock pin does it job but if I first turn the bars left then  to the right the lock is useless 🙁

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2021, 09:20:40 AM »
Hi, I'm thinking this isn't a Triumph issue but something that had occurred in ownership. I would suspect that the bars have been forcefully yanked when locked and, maybe due to a manufacturing fault weakness or not, the end of the locking pin has been sheared/snapped off. I doubt an owner would be so niave and apply heavy force as it isn't really a starter bike, but a young scrote with no bike knowledge trying his luck maybe. Maybe the force of doing the above has damaged the edge of the lock hole causing a chamfer that is allowing the now broken short pin to be easily displaced out of the little entry it has. :027:

Offline GeoffS

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: XC - Green/Black
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2021, 05:28:48 PM »
Thought Id throw in my two penn'orth.
Just been out to check my steed, and can backup what Stevie.P discovered; bit strange really.
From the OFF position turning the key anti-clock pushes the locking bolt into the yoke (arrow lined up of course); not sure why the inscription on the ignition says PUSH, cos that has no effect. Continuing to turn the key further (park position), pushes the locking bolt an additional 5mm (ish) into the yoke. Thats all very well, giving extra insertion (on-er misses), but that puts the parking lights on, which is not needed.
So not sure why that happens, but seems a bit odd. Another Triumph querk to add to the list.
Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
Some poems rhyme,
But this one doesnt.

Offline Chaindriven

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800XRT
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2021, 08:27:12 PM »
Hi. All late post just back from up north with the bike , pin def. not sheared top yoke alloy so a lot softer than the pin fault is definitely in the pin mechanism manufactured crap for a security lock just use a disc lock now although when I pull the side light fuse I can turn to park and the pin engages full ( dont think the fuse serves a other circuit than the park lights) besides who if anybody wants park lights on a bike that has a battery strength of childs toy 😂

Recent Topics