Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Clutch adjusting  (Read 484 times)

Offline gr8filed

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: tiger 800 xcx
Clutch adjusting
« on: May 16, 2021, 10:48:30 PM »
I have a 2015 tiger800 xcx that has about 5500 miles on it,  I bought it with about 2500 miles on it.  I have adjusted the clutch several times and i can't seem to get it to grab any closer to the handlebars.  It grabs almost at the end of its travel.  I would love to have it grab much closer to the handlebars.  It does not slip at all, i have adjusted the free play to spec but im just not happy with it.  Its my first tiger so maybe this is just how its going to feel.  I have been riding may years and have never had to replace a clutch due to wearing it out.  Any ideas?  Thanks

Offline chico

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
Re: Clutch adjusting
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 12:48:37 AM »
Have you attempted to adjust the cable at the clutch end?

Chico

Offline gr8filed

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: tiger 800 xcx
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 12:51:10 AM »
Yes i did,  backed off on lever adjustment,  adjusted lever at the clutch housing,  than fine tuned at the lever.  Just grabs high,  that's all,  no slipping.

Offline chico

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 01:28:38 AM »
It sounds like yo did everything correctly. :047: So then it is what it is. If you're still not happy go to your favorite garage or dealer and ask if what you have is normal.

Chico

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2021, 06:26:48 AM »
Has it got an adjustable clutch lever fitted and, if so, does this make a difference? If not, it might be worth fitting one.
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline chuckxc

• Premier Member
  • Tiger Master
  • Bike: 12XC, 18XCX
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2021, 01:41:05 PM »
I had a situation on a 2012 model where the clutch cable core started to fray near the clutch lever. This caused the cable to lengthen beyond any possible adjustment. The only solution is to obviously replace the cable, which I did. Check that, especially because after fraying comes breaking.
Laterally unstable unless moving.

My third Triple - 1976 Laverda 3CL Jota
My 4cyl grunt - 2005 Honda CB1300F

Recent Topics

winded-staunch