Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New front sprocket and what a difference.  (Read 1301 times)

Offline Guyver

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800XC
New front sprocket and what a difference.
« on: May 18, 2021, 02:07:14 PM »
I've replaced the old OEM worn out front sprocket this afternoon with a basic all steel sprocket. Same amount of teeth. It's a JT branded one.

All I can say is wow.

I didn't remove the chain or the back wheel, just the front sprocket and replaced and torqued everything back up.

Gears are way more precise, acceleration is miles quicker, almost feels like my electric car, instant power compared to before where it felt like it was getting there.

And now I'm actually seeing on the display what gear I'm actually in.
The only reason I didn't replace the chain and rear sprocket is because the rear still looks in very good shape (held new one against it) and the chain has no tight spots and holds tension really well.
The old sprocket I removed which was fitted by Triumph, I was embarrassed to see the lock washer. I think they used their teeth to bend it over. It was a right mess. I hammered it back into shape and bent over 2 opposite ends to stop the nut coming loose.

Really happy with the outcome. And it took less than 20 minutes from start to finish.

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
Re: New front sprocket and what a difference.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2021, 04:42:22 PM »
I would recommend measuring the amount of chain stretch because a very worn front sprocket might have resulted in a much greater wear rate. This should be done with a 10-20 kg weight hanging from the middle of the lower run and with the length of 20 links on the top run then measured. A new chain should give a length of 317.6 mm with the service limit being 319 mm. This measurement is not that easy to do and I normally use a digital vernier caliper. If the chain is stretched then this, in turn, will just wear out the new front sprocket that much faster.
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XRT
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 05:51:31 PM »
By not changing everything as a whole, if the rollers are worn enough (deformed) it will wear your
front sprocket faster so in the end you will change more front sprockets, of course the chain is the
most expensive part and the front sprocket pretty cheap, but you don't want the chain to be too far
gone before changing.

At 21'000km I wanted more oomph for 2up/loaded riding, and the dealer confirmed the chain is
allready pretty far at 20'000km, changing everything together was better.
I went for a 15T and boy do I love it, less time accelerating when riding is nice and fuel mileage
seems not to even increase.

Offline Guyver

• Tiger Master
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2021, 06:39:22 PM »

/>That's the reason for the front only

Offline hawkbox

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2021 900 GT Pro
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2021, 07:04:34 PM »
Yeah odds are you're going to wear out your front sprocket a lot faster now.  Not the end of the world but they're now not uniformly worn.

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Master
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2021, 07:09:02 PM »
Finally someone talking roller wear and that stretch is a legend !

So if your chain had 8-10K or so you can replace the sprocket only, besides that well it's
a better bet to change the change anyway.

In my case the chain having done 21'000 it would have been stupid not to replace it, btw
with cobrra 2 oiler I wasn't that amazed by 80W90 oil under heavy rain, so I now switched
to chainsaw oil which have special chemicals to adhere to the chain, it's so much better
the rim also is less greasy !

Offline hawkbox

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2021 900 GT Pro
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2021, 07:31:29 PM »
Why the hell have I never thought of chainsaw oil?! I have a bottle of it sitting on my shelf.

Online Djairouks

• Tiger Master
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2021, 08:31:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by hawkbox [+]
Why the hell have I never thought of chainsaw oil?! I have a bottle of it sitting on my shelf.

Hehe I read it somehow on a french forum, this oil costs even half what the 80W90 did
and smells not as bad also, this is really better in every way !

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte' ......... By Skill and by Fighting
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2021, 10:15:56 PM »
... for example ... Screwfix 'No Nonsense' value range of products ... chainsaw oil 4.99/Ltr.  :028:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-hp-146-chainsaw-oil-1ltr/27933
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline Guyver

• Tiger Master
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2021, 10:25:00 PM »
Like the video says. The front sprocket is a third smaller than the rear, so works 3 times as hard and wears out 3 times quicker. 12 for a new front every 8000 miles, or a complete kit every 24000 miles with the risk of a front tooth breaking off before you get chance to see how bad it is.

Recent Topics

winded-staunch