Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Engine/Gearbox Whine 2020 Gen 3 Tiger 800 XCA  (Read 672 times)

Offline peterjfox69

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: Tiger XCX 800
Engine/Gearbox Whine 2020 Gen 3 Tiger 800 XCA
« on: May 24, 2021, 09:11:47 PM »
I am just picked up a 2020 Tiger 800 XCA which is great apart from a really annoying whine coming from the gearbox at speed whether the bike is loaded up with luggage, a pillion or with nothing.  Chain play is 30mm so all cool there.
Video attached, any ideas as it wasn't't on the other tow bikes.
I hate it!

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
Re: Engine/Gearbox Whine 2020 Gen 3 Tiger 800 XCA
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2021, 10:15:36 PM »
I assume the video was taken on the road? If so, have you tried to run it up through the gears with the bike on the centre stand to see whether you can better hear which side of the bike and exactly where the noise is coming from? The first thing I would check is that the engine sprocket is still firmly attached and isn't loose.  If you bought the bike from a dealer with some sort of guarantee, I would do is take it back to them to investigate the problem?
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline Stevie.P

• Tiger Jedi
  • 'Arte et Marte' ......... By Skill and by Fighting
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger XRt
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 11:13:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by peterjfox69 [+]
I am just picked up a 2020 Tiger 800 XCA ...

Preferably with it having had the required services,  I'd be taking it to the Triumph dealer. Even if it's a 2020 registered September 2019 it's still surely within and covered by the 2yr unlimited mileage warranty.

It does sound strange but may not be gearbox as noise travel and perceived location can easily be mistaken.  :027:
Also owned my 1979 Bonnie T140E from new!

We don't stop playing because we grow old .. WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING!!!

Offline peterjfox69

• Tiger Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2021, 05:32:23 AM »
*Originally Posted by awjdthumper [+]
I assume the video was taken on the road? If so, have you tried to run it up through the gears with the bike on the centre stand to see whether you can better hear which side of the bike and exactly where the noise is coming from? The first thing I would check is that the engine sprocket is still firmly attached and isn't loose.  If you bought the bike from a dealer with some sort of guarantee, I would do is take it back to them to investigate the problem?

I've checked the Front Sprocket etc, all ok, its got a two year Triumph Warranty.  Just wondered if anyone else has noticed it.

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 06:43:12 AM »
My 2017 800 XCA does not make any strange sounds. Worst case scenario is that the noise is emanating from a failing bearing which would require a complete strip down of the engine to sort out. However, best to rule out all the obvious things first including the chain rubbing against something. As said, putting the bike on its centre stand to run it up through the gears might enable you to better locate where the noise is coming from although you might need another person to help?

Offline TIger Lad

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 900 GT PRO
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2021, 04:44:37 PM »
Its sounds like the ball bearings racing with no lubricant, I would get it checked.
No matter how bad your day is your BIKE will always make you feel better.

Offline peterjfox69

• Tiger Member
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2021, 06:03:16 AM »
My 2017 800 XCA does not make any strange sounds. Worst case scenario is that the noise is emanating from a failing bearing which would require a complete strip down of the engine to sort out. However, best to rule out all the obvious things first including the chain rubbing against something. As said, putting the bike on its centre stand to run it up through the gears might enable you to better locate where the noise is coming from although you might need another person to help?

I've returned home and put the bike on the centre stand.  No noise, it only does it when moving?

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2021, 06:54:32 AM »
This is a very tricky problem to diagnose if it doesn't make the noise when run up on the centre stand. Unfortunately, it does seem to point to a bearing problem when the engine is under load. However, it may not be coming from the gearbox which would take a full engine strip to sort out but could be coming from the engine itself, for example, the clutch, generator or starter clutch which would be much easier to sort. Best to take it back to the dealer for his opinion.

Offline peterjfox69

• Tiger Member
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2021, 06:57:13 AM »
This is a very tricky problem to diagnose if it doesn't make the noise when run up on the centre stand. Unfortunately, it does seem to point to a bearing problem when the engine is under load. However, it may not be coming from the gearbox which would take a full engine strip to sort out but could be coming from the engine itself, for example, the clutch, generator or starter clutch which would be much easier to sort. Best to take it back to the dealer for his opinion.

Exactly what I'm doing.  It's brand new!

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2021, 08:15:57 AM »
If it turns out to be a gearbox issue, I would have though a replacement engine might be the only cost effective solution. Please let us know how you get on with the dealer or Triumph and hope you get it sorted without too much grief!

Recent Topics