Poll

What post-test training have you completed (if any)?

RoSPA
0 (0%)
DVSA Enhanced Rider Scheme
0 (0%)
IAM
7 (30.4%)
BikeSafe
9 (39.1%)
i2i Academy
0 (0%)
Other
4 (17.4%)
None
3 (13%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Post-test training  (Read 737 times)

Offline matt748

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 XRX
Post-test training
« on: May 24, 2021, 09:59:17 PM »
Just wondering what others have done, why, and what youd recommend (or not). Im a firm believer in investing in yourself and trying to make everyday a school day.
My own confidence on the bike spikes currently, so personally Im just trying to get some consistency into my riding.

Obviously its a UK biased poll.
Matt

Offline PapaTom

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Blue XRx (Gen2)
Re: Post-test training
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2021, 07:26:44 AM »
Bikesafe is a really good day with your local police.
I've also done the IAM which improved my riding no end.
A couple of mates and I also try to get away to an off road school once a year. Great fun and helps to understand how a bike moves and behaves.
Like you mentioned, there is always more to learn.
Enjoy

:031:

Offline posty

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2021, 09:47:34 AM »
Agree Bikesafe gives a good insight into better and safer riding but it is a bit short - IAM gets you out with an observer on several one-to-one rides with lots of feedback, together with the IAM manual which you can read at your leisure and practice safe riding techniques - makles you more aware of your surroundings hazards etc and will keep you and others safe - highly recommended I feel a lot more confident out on the road which enables you to enjoy your riding more- you never stop learning

Offline posty

• Tiger Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2021, 09:50:50 AM »
PS you join a local group and the observer basically prepares you for the IAM test ride - also you can go out on rides with your group (with your observer till qualified) and experience some nice roads which you may not have been on before with like minded riders

Online healdem

• ....has a fluffy tube
  • Premier Member
  • Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: 2011 Tiger 800
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 10:33:50 AM »
Depends what you want out of post test training.
The usual Bikesafe message is go sign up with IAM who happen to be there already.

Neither IAM or RoSPA are professional trainers and may not be especially good at training people or presenting information in a way that works for you.

IAM is do once and you are qualified, RosPa requires regular re certification.

Both IaM and RoSPA are run by volunteers, members of the public. Some groups are welcoming some not so.

You can get directr on road training

ypou can go to traing schools such as offroad of the exellent I2I.

personally Ive gone down the route of Bikesafe, IAM, RoSPA and one to one training.

Offroad training doesn't interest me, and when Ive sort of got motivatyed to I2I they dot have dates that work with my free time.

But Id argue whatever you do do some form of post yest rider development. After our enforcd layoff this last year I'm feeling very rusty aas skills developed iover the last few years have not been ysede or kep refreshed.

Offline Shergar

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRT
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2021, 03:36:27 PM »
I did an informal version of Bikesafe with the local police a few years back, was lucky as I actually got a full afternoon 1 to 1 as the copper who took me out came back from lunch to find a group just left and me just arrived.
I have friends who have done the IAM - but I personally don't like some of the things they have been taught, I am not massively concerned with "making progress" - I just want to enjoy the ride and arrive in one piece - overtaking every car that's going 2mph below the speed limit does not interest me.
Have also noticed that I am a little rusty after not riding so much over the last year, but when I do go out currently I just take it easy, stay within my probably decreasing limits and look forward to the next coffee or pee - whichever comes first :001:

Online philmcglass

• Tiger Master
  • Mine's a pint
  • Bike: Tiger XRX 2016
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2021, 06:25:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by Shergar [+]
- I just want to enjoy the ride and arrive in one piece -

I would say from my experience that is the main concern of the IAM. Take and use available information to form a riding plan to ensure you are always in the right position on the road, travelling at the right speed, in the right gear to negotiate any "hazard" and then make progress away from the "hazard". Then repeat the process for the next "hazard".

One type of "hazard" is a leading vehicle that may or may not be travelling below the speed limit. IME there is never any pressure to get past at all costs. "Would I make better progress if I passed it?" "Is it safe to pass within the posted speed limit?" "Am I turning off this road imminently?"  "Is the vehicle likely to turn off?" "Can I relax a bit and follow safely for a couple of miles?"
Find the Line

Offline hawkbox

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2021 900 GT Pro
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2021, 06:37:37 PM »
I never did the basic training as I got my license at 17 in 1998 but I've done off-road training on my 800 as well as one called Total Control that seems to be a North American training course.

I've never heard of any of the courses listed here.

Offline Bob P

• Tiger Cub
  • Bike: Tiger 900 GT Low
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2021, 03:21:03 PM »
After many years of riding motorcycles I decided to undergo the IAM training and take the IAM test. All though I had many years of experience I still learned techniques that made me a safer rider. Following a successful test I opted for Fellow membership. I firmly believe that advanced skills should be re tested on a regular basis and this grade of membership requires a re test every three years.

I would recommend IAM membership to all motorbike riders as they are a group of enthusiasts who aim  to raise the standard of riding and provide regular free skills training at a local level.

Offline tauzero

• Tiger Master
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2021, 12:11:06 AM »
I did IAM observed rides (I hesitate to say "training") and passed the test rather a long time ago. That was with Birmingham Advanced Motorcyclists, of whom quite a few were police trainers. I had quite a long hiatus from bikes and was thinking about doing a refresher, probably with BikeSafe, just to check I'm still reasonably competent.
Tiger 800 XRx, Bonneville T120 Black, SpeedTona, Speed Dent
Gone but not forgotten: Scrambler 900, Tiger 1050, Bonneville SE, Sprint ST 955i, Trophy 4, Sprint 900, Daytona 900, Tiger 900, Trident 900

Recent Topics

winded-staunch