Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Options to strengthen or replace front beak on XC2015  (Read 723 times)

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 2015XC
Options to strengthen or replace front beak on XC2015
« on: May 26, 2021, 11:59:53 AM »
Setting my 2015 up for a big off road trip and ran into an old friend who asked if I had broken the front beak yet ??
He hangs out with lots of Adventure Riders and I have no doubts he is correct and seen it already.

Just pulled it off and its all plastic of course, but not particularly flexible plastic, 2 pieces to get the shape, funny mounts at the rear near under the headlight assbly bolted onto an alloy strut that hangs down like the dogs proverbials, no mounts on the front.... but could maybe put a piece of aluminum along the bottom to the front if need be.... but not likely to strengthen.

How does one strengthen the beak;
replace the beak with a more flexible aftermarket unit ??,
or reinforce the existing mounts somehow
or create their own beak out of flexible plastic
or just leave it off ??

:183:

Offline Phil_from_Derry

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XRx
Re: Options to strengthen or replace front beak on XC2015
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 05:37:57 PM »
If you think you're going to break the beak, i'd take it off.  I'd be more worried about many other bits that will be damaged if the beak is going to take hits.

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2021, 09:46:26 AM »
Well I am going through the various bits that are likely to take a hit.
Have removed all the tank shrouds, fitted a radiator protector, bark busters... may reinforce the side of the radiator ??
So the beaks off now, maybe I will get used to the new look?

Offline Phil_from_Derry

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 800 XRx
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2021, 04:11:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by Newhorizons [+]
Well I am going through the various bits that are likely to take a hit.
Have removed all the tank shrouds, fitted a radiator protector, bark busters... may reinforce the side of the radiator ??
So the beaks off now, maybe I will get used to the new look?
Would be great to see how it looks with all the various bits off.  I've ended up stripping as many un-necesary bits as possible off a few previous bikes, i like that look.  My tiger is standard and i don't think i'll be taking too much off it though.
Any chance you might post up a few pics when you've got is whittled down?

Offline Q

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 XCA
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2021, 04:49:22 PM »
broke two of those during offs in the dirt

fitted a short XRT bullnose to cover the hole and have been happy ever since

IMO that beak is effing expensive to replace as it is two separate bits and serves absolutely no purpose beyond the purely aesthetic.
When you talk, you only repeat what you already know - when you listen, you learn something new

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2021, 07:19:44 AM »
Hey Q, thx for the confirmation.

So in the pic, I have just cut some cardboard from a beer carton, as you do. So it wont take much to cut up some black plastic, add some aluminum brackets and mount that under the headlights.

The section on the side of the radiator shroud is actually not proper alum but a semi flexible 'kick board from a kitchen of all things. So if you bend it it breaks becasue the alum is more like a outer film but it looks good and I don't notice any heat or adverse impact plus it gives a little air flow into the front/rear of the radiator. Thats been there like 2 years now.

So my intention here is to fit a piece of alum L bracket down the side of the radiator, there are 2 screws there and on the outside of that cut some true allum. pieces of sheet along the lines of what I have. That will give some protection to the side of the Tank. If I have a big stack then who knows but plastic was never any protection anyway?

I also have to do something with the mudguard. What an ugly shape that is, no room for mud at the front. Will repost this one below.

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2021, 07:24:40 AM »
So what options do I have with the front guard ??

Cant believe its is such a crazy shape... whatever happened to something that resembled the shape of the tire??

At the least I will need to raise it maybe 10 or 15 mm because I am going for more aggressive tires and need room for mud.

Offline Q

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: 800 XCA
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2021, 07:56:13 AM »
*Originally Posted by Newhorizons [+]
Hey Q, thx for the confirmation.

So in the pic, I have just cut some cardboard from a beer carton, as you do ...
I also have to do something with the mudguard. What an ugly shape that is, no room for mud at the front. Will repost this one below.

you are way more creative than I am mate but good on you - my girl also has a few Heineken can bits & bobs in strategic places :-)

here's a pic of my girl with the stubby nose - some might call her a fugly but beauty is in the eye of the beholder

that front mudguard is a PITA and will have to be raised - there is a discussion thread on the forum somewhere in this regard - maybe do a search - also looking for raisers but seems like it's gonna be a DIY job (will have to have a couple of Heinekens to assist with the inspiration but hell, someone's gotta do it so I'll take one/a couple for the team)

pic after fitting 50/50 Dunlop TrailMax's a while ago and the space between even a mildly aggressive tyre and the fender is tighter than that on a MotoGP grid girl - no chance on fitting a full knobbly

When you talk, you only repeat what you already know - when you listen, you learn something new

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2021, 08:17:43 AM »
Wow, thought I had the mod bug bad. You have some nice farkles too.

I may have to look around for a damaged front guard, grab the fork tube protectors and 'build' something. The std guard has that stupid big bump and I have seen a number of comments about bottoming out the suspension and people breaking the guard.

I have raised my forks maybe 10mm in the clamp but also preloaded the front spring about 7 or 8mm with a plastic tube and about 20 or 30 cc of oil. If you reduce the air gap a little bit it gives you compression pressure sooner and might stop the bottoming. Those 2 changes has made a huge difference for the front as upping the dampening doesn't stop the dive, the extra spring preload and a bit of additional oil has!

I have also cut of the rear foot peg mounts and can remove my cruise pegs and then fit them into custom mounts for the pillion if needed.... coz have heard if those extensions get bent it may bend your frame as well??

Offline Newhorizons

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2021, 08:19:19 AM »
Noticed the seat cover, is that one of the no getting your bottom wet covers?

If so does it work well ?

Recent Topics

winded-staunch