Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Vibrating Plastic Sound above 5000 rpm  (Read 613 times)

Offline mcman56

• Tiger Member
  • Bike: 2018 XRx Low
Vibrating Plastic Sound above 5000 rpm
« on: May 28, 2021, 12:10:52 AM »
My 800 vibrates and it creates this annoying sound above 5000 rpm.  The frequency is a slightly on the eeeeee side of ahahahahahah.  To me it sounds like plastic vibrating somewhere on the lower front of the bike.  I tightened everything down but it is still there.  The lower inner fairing panels are suspect so I stuffed some foam in but there was no difference.  The rear part of the front fender is not very rigid so is also suspect but I don't know how to address.  Has anyone had this noise and resolved it?   

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XCA
Re: Vibrating Plastic Sound above 5000 rpm
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021, 06:28:15 AM »
Does it make this sound when the engine is revved with the bike stationary or does it only occur on the road, for example, in top gear with the engine revving above 5000 rpm? I would expect that fairing or fender noises would be correlated with road speed rather than engine speed. If the noise is correlated with engine speed then it is more likely to be associated with something mechanically attached to the engine. I had something similar previously on another bike which proved difficult to isolate but was almost caused by the exhaust or air intake systems.
Suzuki GSX1400, Armstrong MT560 + collection of classic British bikes

Offline mcman56

• Tiger Member
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2021, 11:00:39 PM »
It is really noticeable at road speeds probably because it is sort of a steady state condition.  If I pull in the clutch, it quiets down and simply reving the engine when stopped to 5000 sounds different.  It could be a combination of both.  I also get fuzzy mirrors at the same points.  Do these things have an adjustable ballancer?   

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2021, 06:42:35 AM »
It sounds as though it is engine induced vibration which means the sound could be originating anywhere in close proximity to the engine.  Unfortunately, it may be a case of having to remove all the trim and then checking nothing is loose or out of place including under the tank and around the radiator. From my own experience, this type of problem can be very difficult to sort out.

Offline mcman56

• Tiger Member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2021, 12:57:55 AM »
I have noticed that the noise is somewhat throttle dependent.  Constant 4000 rpm in 6th gear, no noise.  Open throttle some and noise appears so maybe something in the intake tract.  Do there bikes have any odd intake noises?  This is the only one I have ever heard.

Offline awjdthumper

• Tiger Pro
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2021, 07:06:34 AM »
My previous BMW made a similar sound and I was convinced it was from the air intake vibrating. However, on this particular bike, there was a long inlet trumpet from the air filter box above the engine that stretched all the way forward to the side of the headlamp providing plenty of opportunity for unwanted noises. However, on the Tiger, the inlet duct goes the opposite way under the seat and I would have thought any unwanted noises from this would have been much easier to isolate from all the other trim above and around the engine.

Offline Paulhere

• Tiger Jedi
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2021, 11:34:18 AM »
*Originally Posted by mcman56 [+]
My 800 vibrates and it creates this annoying sound above 5000 rpm.  The frequency is a slightly on the eeeeee side of ahahahahahah.  To me it sounds like plastic vibrating somewhere on the lower front of the bike.  I tightened everything down but it is still there.  The lower inner fairing panels are suspect so I stuffed some foam in but there was no difference.  The rear part of the front fender is not very rigid so is also suspect but I don't know how to address.  Has anyone had this noise and resolved it?

Might be same as mine, look here.
https://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,29636.msg318230/topicseen.html#new
Current bikes Tiger800 XRx, Tiger Sport 1050, Ariel FH 650, Yam Serow 225.

Recent Topics